Calories Burning Way Matters?

Options
I am kinda confused...People say losing weight is calorie in vs calorie out

so i wanna ask does it matters how you burn calories?

if one person burn 300 calories running...and the other person burns 300 calories just cycling..will both lose same weight?

Replies

• ThomasR099
    ThomasR099 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yes imho.
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yes. A calorie is a calorie, regardless of if you burn it running around like a maniac or swimming.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

if one person burn 300 calories running...and the other person burns 300 calories just cycling..will both lose same weight?

yes...the difference will come at some point as to body shaping...ie cyclists and runners "look different"...but we are talking cyclist and runners who train "for" their sport
  • Chris_58
    Options
    if it's for burning fat then yes, in all exercises a calorie is a calorie.
    However, depending on which exercise you do, you're only targeting a certain number of muscle groups, if you want to build/keep muscle then different exercises are used for different muscles.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

yes...the difference will come at some point as to body shaping...ie cyclists and runners "look different"...but we are talking cyclist and runners who train "for" their sport

So true :smile:
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Yes ... in terms of cardio workout, the body doesn't care if you're running, cross-training on the eliptical, using the rower, or cycling .... it's all about getting the heartrate up and 300 calories on one is as good as 300 calories on another.

Personally, I switch between the machines during a workout just to ease the boredom but if you've got a piece of equipment you love or loathe .... go with what works for you!!!

That said - some machines / exercises will burn MORE calories in slightly less time so if you're going for high burn in the quickest time, you'll likely find that 40 minutes running will beat 40 minutes cycling.

:-)
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    It's not about burning calories.

We're organic open systems!
    We aren't bomb calorimeters!

With that said it is my belief that if you lift weights 2-4x a week to stimulate lean muscle acquisition or maintenance while cutting fat storage, you're doing it right.

Eat a healthy variety of food.
    Lift weights or perform some type of progressive weight program.
    Walk daily.
    Sleep 7-9 hours a night.
    Wash, rinse, repeat.

I can cite 100s of studies showing that a calorie effects everyone differently.
    AND I still have yet to find a study showing that a 3500calorie/week deficit = 1lb fat loss.

Hope that helps.
    >>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet<---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<
  • cbouriat
    Options
    Your body composition will be different depending on how intensely* you do the cardio, but the form of cardio doesn't matter. What I mean by that is it doesn't really matter whether you use a treadmill/running, cycling, or elliptical to get your cardio in. But there is a huge difference from doing high intensity interval cardio (think all out hard sprinting) vs. low intensity cardio (think reading a magazine while walking on the treadmill). If you need an image, think olympic sprinter's appearance vs. olympic marathoner.
  • sandhusaab16
    Options
    It's not about burning calories.

We're organic open systems!
    We aren't bomb calorimeters!

With that said it is my belief that if you lift weights 2-4x a week to stimulate lean muscle acquisition or maintenance while cutting fat storage, you're doing it right.

Eat a healthy variety of food.
    Lift weights or perform some type of progressive weight program.
    Walk daily.
    Sleep 7-9 hours a night.
    Wash, rinse, repeat.

I can cite 100s of studies showing that a calorie effects everyone differently.
    AND I still have yet to find a study showing that a 3500calorie/week deficit = 1lb fat loss.

Hope that helps.
    >>>>>IMPORTANT!!! To get your numbers right please visit---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet<---read the instructions. I lay everything out to help you have a true fat burning diet.<<<<<<<

This is really useful i will surely try this