Be mindful of what you eat...

Options
I want to put fast food into perspective for you guys. I train 6 days a week so I have to keep close tabs on my macro nutrients. I did something very bad last night that I don't normally do which was I had chili cheese fries and a malt shake last night at Carls Jr. (Hardees, for my fellow east coast people) and just those two items together equal my entire daily calorie allowance which is insane! On a normal day I can eat a ton of food all day long and not hit my allowance. But a small amount of fries and a small shake equal the whole freaking day. ONE chili cheese fry OR malt ALONE by them self at Carl's Jr. roughly equals an entire #1 at In&Out. So this small amount of food I ate at CJ last night comes out to 2 #1's at In&Out. That's 2 hamburgers, 2 fries, and 2 sodas. Now I get to eat Oatmeal, coffee, protein shake, and grilled vegetables for today to even out that terrible mistake... The worst part is that the food wasn't even that good. If I'm going to be that wreak-less with eating I at least want it to be worth it lol.

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    :cry: sad day.

This is why I always no matter what shape I am in, where I am in, I look up the fast food menu before making my decision.

Like you said...if I am going to eat fast food, it is going to satisfy me!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Blah blah, are you seriously saying you didn't realize that chili cheese fries were going to be high in calories? Or a thick rich creamy milk shake?! :explode:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    On a normal day I can eat a ton of food all day long and not hit my allowance. But a small amount of fries and a small shake equal the whole freaking day.

Small fries and small shake at McDonalds is...900 calories.
  • tayloryay
    tayloryay Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You should know what you're eating before you put it in your mouth. Don't be surprised when some crazy burger from a greasy fast food place is over 1000 calories!
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Blah blah, are you seriously saying you didn't realize that chili cheese fries were going to be high in calories? Or a thick rich creamy milk shake?! :explode:

Calm down... You're not the one that ate it. The portion was so small. that's why it amazes me. This was more of a reward because I've ate "clean" for so long and recently hit my goal weight and wanted one meal without counting. Yesterday also marked the 100th day in a row of logging into this site for me. I could make chili cheese fries at home for half that amount of calories.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    So you had around 1600 calories for one meal. No biggie. Just carry on today and keep moving. It won't break you.

That being said, maybe you shouldn't only eat "clean" and then you wouldn't feel the need to reward yourself?

Just a suggestion.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Try to make things at home. It normally tastes better, is more healthy and cheaper too. If you MUST have Fastfood, don't waste your calories of yucky Mcfood, order the 5 Guys fries you really want, and just eat some and toss the rest.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    "It happens". You can choose to take this as a lesson learned and move on. Most of us have eaten things that we never wished we ate and made an effort to make better choices. I've had my shake, burger, pizza, etc. I know what the consequences entail and get back to where I need to be. No worries though because there's tomorrow :drinker:
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I understand the feeling! The expectation around the food is so high and then it's just whatever. I don't find many fast food places really taste as good as they used too. And not cause my tastes have changed, but because the quality just isn't the same. So just make the most of your oatmeal and then sweat out those cheese fries at the gym.
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. I know I have just started on this logging calories so it is nice ot know stuff like this. I pretty much jave to eat out on Thursdays because of my schedule so I plan on looking up what to see if it will fit Or if it doesn't find something that will.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up. I know I have just started on this logging calories so it is nice ot know stuff like this. I pretty much jave to eat out on Thursdays because of my schedule so I plan on looking up what to see if it will fit Or if it doesn't find something that will.

Thank you! This was the whole point of this topic. Some people want to leave comments with a tone like they're trying to make me feel stupid. I've been logging for 100 days straight so I wanted one reckless meal. My point was that the meal was so tiny for what it was in calories and how I could have ate so many other bad foods and it wouldn't have even been close to my whole day like this was. I ate 1500 calories in excess and it takes roughly 3500 to gain a 1 lb of body fat so it's really not that big of deal.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Most just offered encouragement.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Food shaming is taken very seriously 'round these parts, son.

JK. It's a good reminder.

But Devil's Advocate-since you don't do it very often, let yourself do what you set out to do-enjoy a meal without thinking about the consequences, especially since you know this one meal won't really set you back.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    how many calories per day do you usually eat?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    "It happens". You can choose to take this as a lesson learned and move on. Most of us have eaten things that we never wished we ate and made an effort to make better choices. I've had my shake, burger, pizza, etc. I know what the consequences entail and get back to where I need to be. No worries though because there's tomorrow :drinker:

if you maintain a calorie deficit, or eat at maintenance, there really are no consequences….
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Calm down... You're not the one that ate it. The portion was so small. that's why it amazes me. This was more of a reward because I've ate "clean" for so long and recently hit my goal weight and wanted one meal without counting. Yesterday also marked the 100th day in a row of logging into this site for me. I could make chili cheese fries at home for half that amount of calories.
    My point was that this thread was a big DUH :grumble:

Thank you! This was the whole point of this topic. Some people want to leave comments with a tone like they're trying to make me feel stupid. I've been logging for 100 days straight so I wanted one reckless meal. My point was that the meal was so tiny for what it was in calories and how I could have ate so many other bad foods and it wouldn't have even been close to my whole day like this was. I ate 1500 calories in excess and it takes roughly 3500 to gain a 1 lb of body fat so it's really not that big of deal.
    Because this thread IS stupid. Yes, fast food is high calorie. Yes it's sometimes not filling. Yes it's sometimes small portions.
    But the fact your post was so "shocked" was a little baffling.

if you maintain a calorie deficit, or eat at maintenance, there really are no consequences….
    Rocket science.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options

My point was that this thread was a big DUH :grumble:

Because this thread IS stupid. Yes, fast food is high calorie. Yes it's sometimes not filling. Yes it's sometimes small portions.
    But the fact your post was so "shocked" was a little baffling.

Rocket science.

I'm "shocked" with how rude you are.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

One cheat meal now and then isn't a big deal. I wouldn't worry about trying starve yourself the next day. Sure, it's a lot of calories and regularly eating like that is likely to lead to weight gain. But just one cheat meal ain't the end of the world. Just continue on with your usual diet and at the end of the week that one meal won't seem so significant.