6:30 AM workout - what to eat?

Options
kel7298
kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
So here is the deal. I recently read this:

"Make sure you eat a little breakfast before your workout -- 75 to 150 calories of protein and carbs will do. If carbs are not present, the body will make some using muscle tissue. And this kind of carb you definitely don’t want -- it gets dumped into the blood, raising your level of insulin, which fights against fat-burning"

Generally I workout in the morning, after my cup of coffee (with coffeemate). Not sure if I truly believe this, but am willing to test the theory.

Suggestions on what might fit the bill here without feeling heavy or sloshy :blushing:

Replies

• ksyp92
    ksyp92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i usually have a piece of toast with 1/2-1 tablespoon of PB
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i have 10 almonds and a Tablespoon of PB. Then i'll have a protein shake and apple post-workout.
  • kel7298
    Options
    Those both sound doable! Thxs!
  • kel7298
    Options
    any more suggestions would be appreciated :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If carbs are not present, the body will make some using muscle tissue. And this kind of carb you definitely don’t want -- it gets dumped into the blood, raising your level of insulin, which fights against fat-burning"

I'm no scientist, but that sure sounds like BS to me.

You should read some of the actual science on fasted exercise, actually. Here is one such summary, though I've read more: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/phys-ed-the-benefits-of-exercising-before-breakfast/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

If I'm working out first thing in the morning, all I have is coffee unless I'm running longer than an hour - then I need something, but it's usually just a banana and...coffee :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Okay, I found another:

http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/369.cfm

My take-away message from this? Eat or don't eat. Make that choice based on how you feel and how you perform. Muscle-sparing workouts in a fasted state are preferred (not endurance cardio - that should be fueled).
  • kerrywhittaker1991
    Options
    2 x grilled bacon medallions - 65 calories
    2 x scrambled egg whites - 34 calories
    1 x small wholemeal nimble - 51 calories
  • lindsaywalker5015
    lindsaywalker5015 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Instant oatmeal with a half scoop of high protein yogurt on top,
    or
    A glass of skim milk
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    I ususally have a banana and some almonds - If I don't eat, I'll pass out every once in a while. Not fun.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be working out soon after eating, you should eat carbs, preferably simple ones because they supply quick energy. Protein and fat take longer to convert to energy so won't fuel your workout for 2-3 hours after eating. Also eating anything heavy, high in fiber or fat may not sit well in your stomach. It all depends on your digestive system. For me, eating peanut butter, high fiber cereal with milk, wheat bread, etc. would sit in my stomach like a lump and repeat on me during my workout. Bleh!

Anything with 20 grams of carbs or more is great - fruit smoothie, banana, etc. Then you can eat some protein and carbs (that peanut butter and jelly sandwich) soon after your workout. - preferably within 20-60 minutes, when your body can absorb the nutrients and begin repairing your muscles.

This is according to my cousin, who is a nutritionist and trainer for elite athletes. In the end, do what works for you.

ETA - I have one caveat....I used to eat NOTHING before my morning runs and that worked really well for me. Now, I do 60 minutes of heavy lifting before I do 30-45 minutes of cardio, and I always eat beforehand (usually a fruit smoothie or banana). If I don't, I would compromise my lifting.
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I just have something small so I'm not starving, like yogurt or banana.
  • kris727ta
    kris727ta Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    A banana before workout. It's the only thing that doesn't threaten to come back up when I exert myself. Then after workout I have a protein smoothy. Then later oatmeal with some fruit.
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning too. I am NOT a supplement guy. I generally believe in getting my energy from food, BUT a year ago I got a free sample of a pre-workout supplement called Jack3d (not a typo that's how they spell it) AGAIN I am NOT a big supplement user and if you are sensitive to caffeine then this is not for you, but I'm a coffee addict so it doesn't do anything for me except get me going for my workout. I eat after my workout.

I have lost 40+ lbs. Jack3d didn't make me lose the weight, it was MFP logging, eating right and exercising, but this stuff definitely helps wake me up and get me going
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    For early morning runs I would either go on empty or a protein drink (plus coffee). I say "I would" because right now I can't run due to an Achilles injury. :cry:
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I get up and go to the bathroom, weigh myself, then workout. I drink water during my workout and have a glass of milk with protein powder right after to keep my blood sugar from tanking. I eat breakfast at work because I cannot eat right after I get up and eating before working out makes me puke (which is sub-optimal at best). This is just what works for me and comes through trial and error.

It's different for everyone so find what works best for you. :flowerforyou:
  • katelim2014
    katelim2014 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Drink smoothie! I always exercise 5:30am and drink smoothie and 1 egg white.

My smoothie recipe is very easy and 300cal.

Frozen Mixed berries 1cup
    Greek yogurt 2% 2tsp
    Skim milk or orange juice
    Banana

It is very tasty and fill you up!
  • pp8765
    pp8765 Posts: 11
    Options
    I agree that it is good to eat something before a workout, at least for me. I had an early morning workout class when I had not eaten anything, and I felt very lightheaded and almost passed out. When people came to help me they kept asking me if I had eaten enough before the workout and when I said "I ate nothing" they said "Oh well that explains it. "

Not necessarily true for everyone but this is something that happened to me - next time I will be trying a banana. That makes sense to me.

Good luck
  • kel7298
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk!
  • MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I workout at 3:30 am and I never eat before.
    And I feel just fine. And I have had better results doing this than eating before as eating before makes me feel sick.