How lon did it take to finish your first 5k?

Options
I am doing my first 5K race less than a month from now. I was just wondering, how long did it take you to finish? Those who did it that were more on the intermediate side. And did any of you finish last? And are their any tips you are willing to give for me? Thanks!

Replies

• chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can jog/walk 5K in about 45 minutes, give or take 2-3 minutes depending on the day and course. As long as you're doing some jogging and/or fast walking during some of the race, you won't finish last. There are people who walk 5Ks at a slow, leisurely pace (more power to them - at least they're doing it).

As long as you've been training a bit and, at the very least, you know you can walk 3 miles, you'll do great!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Cliche answer:

Whatever time you finish in is great. There will be people who walk the whole thing, so don't worry about being last. Hell, even if you are last, still lapping everyone on the couch and yada yada yada.

More detailed answer:

I don't run a lot of 5ks. I think my first one was already after I had run several marathons, and was something like 23 minutes. I would say 30 minutes is about average, low 20s is good, sub 20 is great, and if you are in the 16 minute range for a woman, you are going to win or place (depending on the size of the race). If you are interested, you can look up something called an Age Grade, which tells you how your time would stack up to people your age in your region, nationally, and internationally.

Tips: Don't line up at the front unless you plan to compete for the podium. Don't carb load for a 5k. Pee before the race. Have fun and relax!
  • tallgirlshelley
    tallgirlshelley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've never been fast. Ever. I think my first 5K was probably around 45 minutes. My best is around 33. Those are probably about 8 years apart. I'm super slow and I've never finished last. Not even close. Not even at a super small race. I finished 2 half marathons at about that same pace and I was middle (2/3 ish) of the pack. Don't sweat your time. Just go do it. You'll feel amazing! It's always much better and more fun than you worried about. :wink:
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Dead last. The first 3 5k's I ever did :) I'm determined to live long enough to win my age group.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Speed, PRs, etc are all relative. Do the best for your ability and take your finish as great accomplishment!

Also, judging by the nature of your post, I would recommend staying near the back :D
  • katieo12321
    Options
    Last>DNF>DNS
  • smanning1982
    smanning1982 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My first was 53 minutes and that was when I was really out of shape, had NO training at all, my daughter and I stopped to take pics quite often AND we stopped in a gas station for water because I felt like dying LOL

My fastest so far was 42 minutes jogging/speed walking. I am not a fast jogger. I have another one coming up Saturday and plan to get under that 42 min mark.

And, I have never finished last, usually in the middle. Even at the 53 mins. Lots of people walk the entire way so if you're doing a bit of jogging you won't be last
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    I ran/walked my first 5K last weekend on the treadmill, so not under competition pressure or anything, and did the 3.1 in about 37 minutes. Then I jogged/walked until 3.5 miles so my total time was 43 minutes.

Not bad for me, since I have never trained and have only once ran/walked a longer distance than 1 mile.

Good luck :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    30:29. I only ran on the treadmill twice prior and hadn't ran in years before that BUT I was already relatively fit from other activities.
  • _AlabamaSlamma_
    Options
    Cliche answer:

Whatever time you finish in is great. There will be people who walk the whole thing, so don't worry about being last. Hell, even if you are last, still lapping everyone on the couch and yada yada yada.

More detailed answer:

I don't run a lot of 5ks. I think my first one was already after I had run several marathons, and was something like 23 minutes. I would say 30 minutes is about average, low 20s is good, sub 20 is great, and if you are in the 16 minute range for a woman, you are going to win or place (depending on the size of the race). If you are interested, you can look up something called an Age Grade, which tells you how your time would stack up to people your age in your region, nationally, and internationally.

Tips: Don't line up at the front unless you plan to compete for the podium. Don't carb load for a 5k. Pee before the race. Have fun and relax!

Thanks for the tip. I plan on running my first since Jr. High in the next month or so. I definitely would have downed an entire pepperoni pizza the night before, :laugh:

Based on your assessment, it's good to know that I shouldn't be last, which will help me enter another one.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    In nearly every 5K there are people who walk the whole way, so you almost certainly won't finish last!

The best thing about 5Ks is how supportive all the runners are of each other. The winner of the race, who might have finished in 16 minutes, will often cheer all the runners in to the finish!

I started running in high school (I'm 47 now) so I don't remember my first 5K time, but I time races, so I see lots of runners cross the line -- every one of them is trying their hardest, and it's an amazing achievement whether they finish in 30 minutes or 60 minutes!

Have fun in your first 5K!
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My first one was 30:11, and my second one three months postpartum was 34-something. This year I am hoping to beat that original time and get under 30:00 :)
  • Froghemoth
    Froghemoth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did my first 2 last year. The first one took me 47 minutes (very little jogging), and the 2nd took me 41 minutes (more jogging, while most everyone else was running it). I wasn't last in either one. But I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much. Just try to have fun, you'll love it!
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, in fact I hate it. I'd say my 5k time averages between 30-45 min, depends on how I'm feeling that day.
  • girlschmoopie
    girlschmoopie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Last>DNF>DNS

Well said!
  • cynlynn38
    cynlynn38 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I ran my first in about 37 minutes. I had trained by doing Couch 2 5K. I ran faster during training, but I slowed my pace in the race because I wanted to jog the whole thing. I was right in the middle of the pack. There were about 600 runners total. I agree with whoever posted about not starting right at the front. I started in the back and was able to set my own pace. Stretch and warm up before you start! Good luck! And have fun!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K in 2009 at the age of 52 and had a chip time of just under 40 minutes, my current 5K PB is now under 26 min and one of my goals for this year is to go sub 25min.

As others have suggested, for your first race your only goal is to cross the finish line with a smile on your face; don't worry about what others are doing. I can tell you that the first time you cross that finish line the feeling is indescribable, even if you're never destined to start from the first corral it's addictive and gives you a great way to benchmark your improvement over time.

Have fun!
  • pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I think my first was 31:17; these days, I can manage 23:00 - 25:00 depending on terrain.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Cliche answer:

More detailed answer:

Thanks for the tip. I plan on running my first since Jr. High in the next month or so. I definitely would have downed an entire pepperoni pizza the night before, :laugh:

Based on your assessment, it's good to know that I shouldn't be last, which will help me enter another one.

for you, or anyone else looking to do their first race, this thread has great tips

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race
  • snowyd20
    snowyd20 Posts: 176
    Options
    I did my first 5k in 27:30 in the fall of 2012, this September I did the same race in 25:05. I'm hoping to get sub 24min next year.