Valuable lesson learned

Options
kelika71
kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
For years, I've heard the phrase, "wise beyond your years." Well, Feb. 14th proved that to be otherwise, as one of my beloved dogs has now been put to rest.

How many of us have been bullied by professionals with the phrase, "don't believe what you read on the Internet?" I have multiple times. In hindsight, it's cost me my parents and now one of my dogs. I've let doctors bully me into thinking I don't know enough. Every time, I've backed down to them. They're doctors, they're supposed to know more than me, right? Well, I'm here to tell you, if you are told that, RUN!! Any doctor, nurse or any professional worth their credentials should work hand in hand with you.

We all have gut instincts. We spend more time with our loved ones (even our furry loved ones) than the doctors or nurses. We know when something isn't right. Don't let them make you give up or question yourself. That's what this vet did to me, when I should've fought harder. He also made me stop checking the internet.

I found out yesterday, through a new vet (and other vets I contacted) and the internet, that my dog was more than likely overdosed on Dexamethasone. Through the loss of my dog, I'm done letting professionals bully me into thinking I don't know anything. I hope through my loss, others will learn from this, too. Arm yourself with knowledge! A good doctor won't (or shouldn't) feel threatened by it.

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. I agree, you should be in charge of your life and make informed decisions.
  • kelika71
    Options
    Thank you.

I was trying to stay informed. Then, this vet jumped my case telling me to stop reading the web. I'm kicking myself now for letting him do that to me. I'm in the process of finding a new vet for my other dogs.
  • Icelandic_Saga
    Icelandic_Saga Posts: 2,926 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: That is so sad :( It's never harmful to educate yourself. I'm also sorry for your loss
  • kenziest
    Options
    So sorry this happened to you! I also lost a pet in a similar situation. Found out after the fact that she had a bad reputation among other vets because she didn't comply with the latest standards. I had no clue because she seemed very caring and had the proper credentials. I was going to report her, but she retired soon after. Thank goodness. When I called later to discuss my pet's death, I found she had destroyed all records of my pet's visits to her office. And I hadn't told them my pet was dead or anything yet, so it wasn't like they could claim they were cleaning out old files. Only trying to cover their tracks, I think. What a dirty crumb.

Since then I found a wonderful vet. I sought the advice of an animal rescue center I had relations with and they referred me to him. And I made sure this vet was up to snuff on the latest standards in pet care. I will NEVER rely on what one vet says anymore.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    I'm SO sorry for your loss!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how hard it must feel to lose a fur baby when it was preventable. :frown:
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. This is really a catch 22. I can tell you my father got really sick once and I researched on the internet.. well I had him diagnosed with pancreatic cancer when it was just gall stones. I put more stress on myself then ever. While you do need to keep informed, don't just dismiss professional opinions because they make you feel uninformed. It's a balancing act. IMO
  • SnugglePuggles
    Options
    I look on the internet for everything and anyone who says it is a bad place to find information usually is intimidated. I tell my doctor's I look online, I print things out and take it with me - and not Cosmo crap - real stuff like from medical journals and research. Even if it is from a blog or a thread, I still find it useful because people are sharing their experiences. If my doctor doesn't like it, I usually find another doctor. If they don't want to listen to me, I remind them I am paying for the service and they should be listening to my thoughts, feelings and findings. I have lost many doctors and vets this way, but I have also found some of the best as well.

Sorry about your dog. Same type of thing happened with my cat. Vet said she needed a steroid shot. Gave it to her and 12 hours later she was dead. Turns out she was in heart failure and a steroid shot speeds up the process by filling the lungs with fluid the heart isn't pumping out. All she needed was some heart medication, and she would have probably lived another 3-5 years.
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it helps to inform yourself and also if it's something like the health of a family member I would consider a healthcare consultant (if you have the money). Someone in the field in those situations can be absolutely invaluable - they know what questions to ask, they understand the lingo, they know how to make things happen and what to request to get the best care possible. Always helps to have a nurse or doctor you can trust! It sucks that you can't trust people just because of their credentials - it goes that way with anything, though. Whether they're the journeyman mechanic who is supposed to fix your car but ends up costing you $1200 to fix at $100 problem or the healthcare professional who's supposed to take care of your loved one. You never know whether they're the person who "just passed" or whether they're the person who aced every exam to get the credentials, and you never know if they're honest! So yes, agreed, always trust your gut instinct :)
  • kelika71
    Options
    Thank you, everyone. I just don't want someone else to make the mistakes I made. I shouldn't have put all my trust in this vet. The other factor in all this, I have had a lot going on at once and rather than getting chastised again, I let this vet call the shots. Normally, I'd have checked the Internet and placed calls to other vets to see what they would do in this situation. Had I done that, I'd have found out that not a lot of vets distribute Dexamethasone pills. That would've been a huge red flag for me.

I just hope I can arm others with a backbone to stand up to professionals so their loved ones get the best care.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    sorry for your loss.. soo sad :(:flowerforyou: