Burning Question: What's the difference between

Unweighted
Unweighted Posts: 7
edited September 22 in Introduce Yourself
What's the difference between my friend and I?

We are both the same height, sex, and put in the same levels of activity. He has been using MFP for a while and is five pounds lighter than I am.

The question is that when he puts into the program that he wants to lose 1 pound a week he is given 1220 calories for the day, but I am given 1480. We are both designers so we sit at computers all day so we both put in Sedentary. Also we each go out to exercise 6 days a week. As far as I can tell we're the same and have entered all the same settings, but have been given different numbers. What's going on? Am I missing something? Will this work for me?

Just trying to figure it out. Thanks in advance for any answers.

Bob

Replies

• ragedracer1977
    ragedracer1977 Posts: 24 Member
    Did one of you include exercise in your daily goals?
  • We both did
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    It's probably the weight difference.
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    It sounds like you're either side of a 10 pound mark, for example, one of you is 218 and the other is 223.
    MFP recalculates at every 10 pound mark, so that seems the most likely to me.
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Age difference? I don't know if MFP takes age into account..
  • Maybe that's it.. He's at 180.4 and I'm at 185.6 - feeling kinda crazy...

Thanks
  • He gets less calories because he's lighter. The heavier you are, the easier it is to lose. The smaller your body is, the more restrictive you have to get to lose. Trust me I have to kill myself to drop from average to slim. When you exercise for the same amount of time, the person who is lighter will have burned fewer calories too.
  • Thanks to everyone for the info. I really appreciate it.
  • He gets less calories because he's lighter. The heavier you are, the easier it is to lose. The smaller your body is, the more restrictive you have to get to lose. Trust me I have to kill myself to drop from average to slim. When you exercise for the same amount of time, the person who is lighter will have burned fewer calories too.

I'd really like to be clear about this - Are you saying when you have less mass to move around - over the same amount of time - if you weigh less you burn fewer calories doing the same work? If so then I have my answer and I'm amazed.:happy:

I'd really like to be clear about this - Are you saying when you have less mass to move around - over the same amount of time - if you weigh less you burn fewer calories doing the same work? If so then I have my answer and I'm amazed.:happy:

That would be absolutely correct. A good example would be..

An olympic athlete at 10% body fat, going for a 5 mile run. He may only burn 300 calories.

Another person with 15% body fat, and thus more mass would burn probably 400 or so.

If you have more mass your body needs to use more energy to move about.
This discussion has been closed.