"Abs are made in the kitchen" - confused question

Options
2»

Replies

• Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later as I'm in a similar situation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You discussed what type of food you eat, but what is your daily calorie/macro goal?

Pre-February, I started to count again to see what I was eating and found it was between 1200-1400 a day. Now I've taken advice from various books, MFP and BB members and sites, and I aim to get 1750-1850 on rest days and 2000 on weight training days. It was super difficult to overcome the mindset to eat that much at first (and actually get it in!) but now I'm finding I'm hungry all the time so it's getting easier, and I hit it (or go over) every day now.

Macros I've set on MFP are 1820 calories, 40% carbohydrates (182g), 30% fats (61g) and 30% protein (137g) as stated in NRL4W.

I totally agree with him on this...
    OP, I would say in your case, "abs are made in the kitchen" would mean that you need to eat to fuel muscle growth...i.e. bulk or at minimum, eat at maintenance and get into a good compound lifting program and do a bit of core isolation work after your primary workout. In your case, you need to build the muscle...that requires fuel...food is fuel...food is made in the kitchen.

And i'm glad to hear you've up your calories, as I'm thinking that's probably what will get you the more muscled look you're aiming for with lifting, of course.

SideSteel or Sara might have some good input for ya on this one...

Keep in mind that despite clever marketing for achieving some kind of super fitness body in 30 days or 90 days or whatever...it doesn't happen like that. Building muscle and building a fitness body is a long process for a male...it is even harder for a female. We're not talking about a few months of work here and voila. People with rockin' fitness bodies have worked on those bodies for years, not days, weeks, or months.

Also, for anyone interested and especially the OP...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I was at a very disturbing BMI when I had a disease that took a while to be diagnosed. My internal organs changed position I was at such a low body fat (I lost so much visceral fat). My abs did not look great. None of my muscles looked anything but very thin (the muscles themselves) and even flabby, as in no muscle tone. I definitely don't agree that you have to have a high BF for that to be the only problem with nice-looking abs. Folks can have underworked muscles or eat little enough that the muscles can't do their regular thing.

My muscles look totally different and much, much better even with a much higher bodyfat now. They get the proper work and nutrition, and those are quite important. Mine only took about a year to come back in force after the muscles got what they needed (not even lifting, really) :) That might have to do with my actual disease, but I was afraid that it would be hard to put all that muscle back on. Nope! It's like the body is begging to go back to normal muscle-wise once it has the proper nutrition, etc, imho.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Guys need to be down under 10% body fat to start seeing abs. EVERYONE has them already without any crunches. If you eat at a caloric deficit long enough you can find them. All the focus on crunches and core exercise is to increase your BMR and burn more calroeis daily, getting you to that lower body fat quicker. Cardio is also excellent for leaning out.

So figure out the combination that works for you. But above all, eat at a proper deficit.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Guys need to be down under 10% body fat to start seeing abs. EVERYONE has them already without any crunches. If you eat at a caloric deficit long enough you can find them. All the focus on crunches and core exercise is to increase your BMR and burn more calroeis daily, getting you to that lower body fat quicker. Cardio is also excellent for leaning out.

So figure out the combination that works for you. But above all, eat at a proper deficit.

That's disturbing advice to give a recovering anorexic. She's not trying to lose weight, as you might imagine.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

That's disturbing advice to give a recovering anorexic. She's not trying to lose weight, as you might imagine.

I didn't read any of that. It's general advice for getting a six pack. No other way around it.

The other issues would be more pertinent.
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't help you here, but I'm interested to hear what others have to say.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - what does your current weight training regimen look like? Do you do compound lifts, free weights, machines..etc?

As others have noted, you probably lost a lot of muscle due to your ED …so you may actually have less abs to reveal then the "normal" person …you can fix that by working on your abs about an hour a week …weighted crunches, russian twists, decline weighted sit-ups, etc…but it is still going to come down to diet and heavy lifting program..
  • goredguar
    goredguar Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    OP - what does your current weight training regimen look like? Do you do compound lifts, free weights, machines..etc?

As others have noted, you probably lost a lot of muscle due to your ED …so you may actually have less abs to reveal then the "normal" person …you can fix that by working on your abs about an hour a week …weighted crunches, russian twists, decline weighted sit-ups, etc…but it is still going to come down to diet and heavy lifting program..

I started out using "body sculpting bible for women", but people on bodybuilding.com didn't think much of that, so I've switched to NRL4W. Thing is, compared to the previous book, NRL4W seems really easy. I guess it's because I've had to start at week 1 again.

Everything I do is using dumbbells - I have a 20kg set but I'm going to have to order more discs soon as I'm up to 18kg.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I started out using "body sculpting bible for women", but people on bodybuilding.com didn't think much of that, so I've switched to NRL4W. Thing is, compared to the previous book, NRL4W seems really easy. I guess it's because I've had to start at week 1 again.

Everything I do is using dumbbells - I have a 20kg set but I'm going to have to order more discs soon as I'm up to 18kg.

isn't that a Weidler book?

Regardless- NROL is good- but you won't be able to do it with dumbbells- the point of these programs is to progressively load- so you'll need to keep moving up- i'd see about investing in some barbells- much like your little hamster friend has in your avatar- or perhaps start looking at a gym.

Compound training with a barbell is like shopping at Wal-Mart- you can get a lot done at once instead of shopping at specialty stores. lots of bang for your buck- and not hours and hours days on days- usually just 3-4 lifts a week. Works better for most people than trying to fit in 1-2 hrs 6 days a week.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

isn't that a Weidler book?

Regardless- NROL is good- but you won't be able to do it with dumbbells- the point of these programs is to progressively load- so you'll need to keep moving up- i'd see about investing in some barbells- much like your little hamster friend has in your avatar- or perhaps start looking at a gym.

Compound training with a barbell is like shopping at Wal-Mart- you can get a lot done at once instead of shopping at specialty stores. lots of bang for your buck- and not hours and hours days on days- usually just 3-4 lifts a week. Works better for most people than trying to fit in 1-2 hrs 6 days a week.

you beat me to it, but I was going to suggest the same...
  • goredguar
    Options
    'The body sculpting bible for women' is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Sculpting-Bible-Women-Third/dp/1578264014

I'll stick to NRL4W though

Righto - so it's better to invest in a barbell. I was considering it, just that presumably I'd have to get a rack to place it on and whatnot too?
    Would it be a good idea to buy a month's gym membership / personal trainer session and get them to show me how to use said barbell properly (ie pose etc) or is it pretty easy to get from youtube / books?
  • JoRocka
    Options
    'The body sculpting bible for women' is this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Sculpting-Bible-Women-Third/dp/1578264014

I'll stick to NRL4W though

Righto - so it's better to invest in a barbell. I was considering it, just that presumably I'd have to get a rack to place it on and whatnot too?
    Would it be a good idea to buy a month's gym membership / personal trainer session and get them to show me how to use said barbell properly (ie pose etc) or is it pretty easy to get from youtube / books?

any progressive strength training will work. it doesn't matter how old it is- I just started an older program- just because it's old doesn't mean it's bad. Muscle work hasn't changed THAT much- stuff just falls out of popularity LOL.

Go with New Rules. It's fine- it's solid- it's proven.

yes- if you get a BB you'll need some form of rack- scoure craigs list- you can usually get a decent set up for 500 or so. esp for a woman you won't need more than 8 45's most likely (that's a 405 lb dead lift) so you'd have no more than eight 45 plates- and then a variety of pairs of 2.5, 5, 10 25- and even 35's if you can get your hands on them.

the information is there. You do not NEED a trainer to get what you need.

But you do need some dedication to education. You can't just go do it and hope to get it right- there information is there- but you need to be willing to research- and practice technical stuff- video yourself- get some feed back.

This is why a trainer is nice- you get that- hopefully (if they are any good) and you get instant feed back- you pay for them to have done the research and help correct you as you do it.

it's really personal preference. I actually trained- but I would never EVER buy training sessions- unless it was for coaching on an upper level- I personally have no issue doing the research- reaching out to like minded- more knowledgeable people and asking for help.

So it's really preference and comfort level. you can go either route- it's just a matter of what you really want to do- you may hate the gym environment- or you may spend 500+ on a rack and equipment and realize you never train at home (that's me) so I suck it up and pay upwards of 300+ a year for a membership to a gym. It works for me and it gets me out of the house and doing what I love.
    (my house eats me- once I'm there- I can't leave much less get anything done!!!!)
  • goredguar
    Options
    I'm loving lifting weights at the moment and I'm determined to become stronger. :)

Thanks ever so much for all your information, truly - you've been super helpful!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    dat's what we are here for!!!

ask away if you have more questions.

Now...

go forth... and be fabulous!