Do you log vegetables?

Options
2»

Replies

• whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I log everything I put in my mouth :0 It helps me stay accountable..
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I log everything I put in my mouth :0 It helps me stay accountable..

The comments I could make...
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    I log them to show off to my friends when I actually eat my vegetables.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yup! I log everything as accurately as I can. As a prior poster mentioned tho, I'm not as strict with my leafy veggies as I am with whatever I choose to dress them with. Also, things like tomatoes, carrots, celery, onion, etc. I try to get close. And I agree, they make the diary look much nicer :-)
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I log everything! It is just easier for me and that holds me accountable

What she said.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    I definitely log my vegetables. 10 calories here, 20 calories there.. it adds up. Especially if you eat a LOT of vegetables. Besides that, I agree with the poster that said you are doing yourself a disservice by NOT adding them in because then your nutrient values look low unnecessarily.
  • cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    While it is true the calories from many veggies are minimal, I log everything.

A. I want to be as accurate as possible.
    B. I want to see all the vitamins and nutrients I had that day. I earned that *kitten*!
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    Also.. though potatoes are full of starch, they ARE botanically classified as a vegetable. ;)
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I do. I have learned over time that tings add up very quick and just to keep it consistent i track it all! :)
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Of course I log them. They have calories, and fiber and other things I track...

Yup!
    I just added up my vegs (excluding beans etc.) - Today 15% of my cals came from veg, yesterday it was 29%, the day before 23%. I would be way off in my calorie estimates if I didn't log them!

Plus, I very often go back in my food diary and check what kind of foods kept me full (for example, if I can see that I've logged a post-dinner snack, I was probably not feeling very full or satisfied that day - whereas, if I've skipped some of my "scheduled" snacks, it was probably some good meals!), so I can make sure to do those thing again - makes it easy to spot trends, for instance, for me, the more fiber and the less fat, the more satisfied and full I feel per calorie. I would not be able to spot such trends if I wasn't super accurate in my logging.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I easily eat over 400 calories of veggies (mostly raw) a day. I have had 200 calories worth of broccoli, broccoli slaw, and cauliflower so far today. So I absolutely log vegetables.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options

B. I want to see all the vitamins and nutrients I had that day.

OK, I'm stupid about this - where do I find vitamins consumed today? I can see calories, carbs, fat , proteins, but I dont see other stuff.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yes, I log them because they do add up.
  • judy49650
    judy49650 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • Fuamami
    Fuamami Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    "Vegetable" is a culinary term, only. Many foods we consider vegetables are actually the fruit or root of the plant, as you probably know:)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess that depends...if you have a rather large deficit, it probably doesn't matter....or if you don't eat that many vegetables. I have a roughly 300ish calorie deficit and today alone I am eating around 200 grams of mixed veg (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, grape tomatoes) that totals right around 100 calories. If I also count my veg juice, that's another 70 calories. So if I didn't log them or account for them, all of a sudden my 300 calorie deficit becomes 130 calories and I'm probably not going to see much in the way of progress.

Vegetables have calories...they are not free. Also, I log them because I track my macros as well as certain micro-nutrients like fiber and my vitamins and minerals.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options

B. I want to see all the vitamins and nutrients I had that day.

OK, I'm stupid about this - where do I find vitamins consumed today? I can see calories, carbs, fat , proteins, but I dont see other stuff.

In the 'reports' tab - but it's not very reliable, as you may notice that a lot of entries only have macronutrients listed - before I payed attention to how thorough an entry was, it kept having me extremely low on all micronutrients, as well as saturated fat and fiber. Now that I pay attention to always select the most filled out version of an item, my 'reports' look way more realistic.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    yup, I weigh it and log it.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on how many vegetables you're eating - if I stopped logging vegetables, half my calories for the day would be gone!

^^This for me, too - gotta keep logging them because I eat a ton of 'em!
  • machadomichael
    Options
    You should definately log it. Don't cut corners. Tracking calories is just one function that this great app tracks. But there are loads of other things that it tracks like vitamins, colesterol, sodium, fat, protein, fibre, etc... Granted you don't need to worry about that much with vegetables but part of loosing weight is about keeping a proper food balance. Taking 1 second to check off a vegetable will help you keep track of those things. We're all here for the same reason - to lose weight. MyFitnessPal is a great tool designed to help us do so if we follow it properly. hang in there and I know you'll do great!