My first strength work out!

Options
I'm not even sure if I did this correctly but I would like opinions. It was my first time using any machines before because I usually always just do the elliptical.

This is what I did at the gym today:

Elliptical: 20min
Seated Torso Rotation: 5 sets of 12 reps
Tricep Extension: 3 sets of 12 reps
Bicep Curl: 3 sets of 9 reps
Hip Abductor: 3 sets of 12 reps
Elliptical 15min

I'm 5'3 and 131 lbs. Trying to get down to 120 by mid-May!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Ditch the isolation machines and focus on the compound lifts, imho. Or, at the very least, get the compound movements in there.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your decision to do strength training!! Are you trying to get to a lower size, or more concerned about the weight on the scale? My goals are focused on body fat % :)

Anyway, I suggest you find a program. Maybe go to www.bodybuilding.com and look at the FREE programs there. Jamie Eason's LiveFit trainer is a GREAT way to ease into lifting weights, and I've been seeing great results (in week 7 of 12 now, down several inches and 9lbs)! I use the app, which has detailed instructions for each exercise and an optional video. Choose one according to your goals. That way you'll have a track to follow.
  • tararag
    tararag Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would say i'm looking for a little of both! down maybe a size or two plus shedding some pounds. I will look at that website!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Ditch the isolation machines and focus on the compound lifts, imho. Or, at the very least, get the compound movements in there.
    This! Compound lifts are where it's at. Ideally you want to work your way up to free weights and do things like squats, deadlifts, bench press, and rows.

If you're only comfortable on machines so far you can try the chest press, shoulder press, lateral pull, seated row, and leg press. Start with compound lifts like these and save the isolated lifts for the end of your workout as they are less important.
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Check-out toneitup.com for really good work-outs for toning your body! they have youtube videos and print-outs to take to the gym! This is my absolute favorite website for work-out ideas!!!