Never Take Advice...

Options
...from someone who's not doing better than you.

tumblr_inline_n0128uUUks1qfya79.gif

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I agree with this, re: diet and weight loss and exercise...but other areas of life, too (career, money, etc).
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    So should we ignore advice from those that whose expertise, education or experiences are superior to our as well, because they "are not doing better than you?
  • cpusmc
    Options
    So should we ignore advice from those that whose expertise, education or experiences are superior to our as well, because they "are not doing better than you?

i failed typing class 101... lets try again...

So should we ignore advice from those whose expertise, education or experiences are superior to ours as well, because they "are not doing better than you?
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, it is warranted. I would listen to a divorced person on some marital things, esp if they are saying why they think they failed. I would however not consider it always good advice! Lol

I would not take nutritn advice from an obviously overweight or out of shape doctor or nutritionist.

I think the idea is to use common sense on advice given! Lol
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    really cause my son isn't doing as well as me but if I want advice on welding I go to him...he is a welder

my dad isn't doing as well as me but if I want advice on my marriage and/or life I go to him (he is on his third marriage btw) but I still trust his advice over someone who's been married 1 year.

I go to people for advice when they have more expertise and experience in it.

I wont take diet advice from a GP....they give damn bad advice usually
    I wont take advice from a personal trainer...anyone can become one of those in 6 weeks
    I wont take advice from a body builder who shoots roids even if they have been lifting for years...

Sorry but you gave bad advice...guess we wont be listening to yours anymore...:bigsmile:
  • MiraclePowertv
    Options
    conversely... (not overcomplicating the statement)... then, take advice from people who are doing worse than you. Is that better?
  • cpusmc
    Options
    conversely... (not overcomplicating the statement)... then, take advice from people who are doing worse than you. Is that better?

Lets see... would i take fitness advice from Arnold Schwarzenegger despite that today he looks terrible? Yes
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

it's not black or white as your two statements are....
  • MiraclePowertv
    Options
    I think what the OP is saying (and I should know, because I am the OP) is that we should be much more discriminating about who we take advice from, especially on open forums such as this one where contradictory information from every end of the spectrum flies around at the speed of light. If you don't know who is giving you advice, or their results or qualifications, then certainly do more research before openly receiving what they say as absolute truth.
  • cpusmc
    Options
    if people are taking their fitness, health and diet advice solely from this forum, thats a problem. i'm sure many do and then they wonder why they are not seeing results... there is very little "absolute truth" to be found in these forums, mostly opinions some of which are supported by results but most of which are supported by what they heard, or read but have not used themselves....
  • MiraclePowertv
    Options
    if people are taking their fitness, health and diet advice solely from this forum, thats a problem. i'm sure many do and then they wonder why they are not seeing results... there is very little "absolute truth" to be found in these forums, mostly opinions some of which are supported by results but most of which are supported by what they heard, or read but have not used themselves....

^^^ This. Thank you.
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    ...from someone who's not doing better than you.

Define "better."

Side note in the same vein: especially with things like personal health, many of us have the knowledge, but have not always applied it very well.

Final note: At what point is all of our knowledge considered "valuable?" Do I have to have a certain body fat % for my knowledge to qualify?
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    really cause my son isn't doing as well as me but if I want advice on welding I go to him...he is a welder

I took it as, doing well in one particular area. So in welding, your son would be doing as well (better) than you and therefore would be a great source. Even if he isn't your go to for finances, or dietary habits, or fashion...
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It could be a cautionary tale (!)

Sorry, I'm morbidly obese..... ignore me. Carry on.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    I think what the OP is saying (and I should know, because I am the OP) is that we should be much more discriminating about who we take advice from, especially on open forums such as this one where contradictory information from every end of the spectrum flies around at the speed of light. If you don't know who is giving you advice, or their results or qualifications, then certainly do more research before openly receiving what they say as absolute truth.

Well, if this is the case then few prople on this forum should take your advice because by your own metric, you're not doing better than many of us. So, in that vein, I'm going to refrain from taking your advice regarding taking advice from those not doing better than me, because the fact is, good advice comes from all kinds of unlikely places. Your advice in this thread is short-sighted, and worth exactly what I paid for it. Nothing.

Rigger
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options

Well, if this is the case then few prople on this forum should take your advice because by your own metric, you're not doing better than many of us. So, in that vein, I'm going to refrain from taking your advice regarding taking advice from those not doing better than me, because the fact is, good advice comes from all kinds of unlikely places. Your advice in this thread is short-sighted, and worth exactly what I paid for it. Nothing.

Rigger

Precisely
  • MiraclePowertv
    Options

Rigger

I don't think you know enough about me to make that statement.
  • ladycadaverous
    ladycadaverous Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I would hope that people get their advice from the people in their lives that they know and trust. Opinions are different however because sometimes you just need the support of others and may wonder what they think and feel about the situation. Advice and opinions (in my opinion) are two different things:)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Well, if this is the case then few people on this forum should take your advice because by your own metric, you're not doing better than many of us. So, in that vein, I'm going to refrain from taking your advice regarding taking advice from those not doing better than me, because the fact is, good advice comes from all kinds of unlikely places. Your advice in this thread is short-sighted, and worth exactly what I paid for it. Nothing.

Rigger

this.. sometimes hearing people's bad advice can help switch on an inner light bulb that leads you to the best solution to a problem
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Rigger

I don't think you know enough about me to make that statement.

I don't think you know enough about the world to determine who is doing "better" than anyone else, or by what measure that determination can be made. I think your conclusions are all the evidence I need to know that I don't want your advice guiding my decisions. Thanks for playing though.

Rigger