Sodium

Options
i'm always over my Sodium. Help!!

Replies

• norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you eat frozen meals which are very high in sodium to keep them preserved. Cut it back to one a day or cut them out completely.
  • ladycadaverous
    ladycadaverous Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have this issue some days too. Soda, packaged frozen dinners, soups and even canned beans and tortillas all have a lot of sodium. Try light soups and cooking larger meals and freezing the portions for the week. I try my best to stay away from anything processed and packaged as much as possible. Good luck:)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for the canned beans i just rinse them off and that saves quite a bit of sodium. it'll still show up on your log since the logs dont know you're rinsing, but in real life you will be saving loads of sodium..

and yeah try to stay away from prepackaged stuff. they are high in sodium since sat is a preservative.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    looking at your diary, you do many convenient frozen items, and seem to like salty snacks (<- who doesn't, though!).

convenience is so important, but making the switch to home-cooked meals that you can portion out and prepare as lunches is easier than it seems - and so much more healthy, while being convenient. (oh, and it is less costly, too! win, win, win)

grill up a pkg of chicken, steam up some ready packs of broccoli, cook up a cheesy veggie baked casserole, mix up a huge container of salad, etc.

try to consume things that do not come in a box or a can, and for a salty snack, slices of white cheddar or a handful of lightly salted almonds would do nicely.

try using black pepper or lemon juice or cayenne to spice foods up instead of salt. there is a blend called Mr. Pepper that is nice and zippy.

the tough part is going to be reconditioning your palate - the more we have something, the more we tend to crave even more of it.

if you do make the change to a lower sodium life, it will not be long before you recognize things once easily enjoyed as being *too* salty!

good luck. you can do this!
  • stormyxpony
    stormyxpony Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    ok mom wans pasta ans sause for dinner plus galic bread so should I eat that OR stick to the WW dinner and the beans? just for tonight.