TOM (That "time of the month")

Options
I'm brand new to MFP and so far, I love it! I feel better already and just started less than a week ago. This is the best website by far!!

With that being said, I know the majority of us ladies on here suffer from the same problem every month and guess what? I've got that going on right now. You guessed it....Aunt Flo. She is a crazy lady when she shows up. She wreaks havoic on the whole household and turns my life upside down for four days straight. Aunt Flo enjoys feeding me comfort food all day long. As if my pants didn't fit the best already....she is an evil visitor..

Enough about her. I'm looking for some suggestions from fellow pals suffering from the same problem as well. I went and worked out this morning for an hour to get my mind off of food. I've also been trying to eat fruit more during this time and not give into the temptation of salt, fatty foods and candy bars (which are my all-time favorite during this time.) Short of scrubbing the kitchen floor with a toothbrush to pass the time and keep busy, what are some other suggestions that have worked for you? Thank you ladies! I look forward to reading your responses!

Replies

• MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I tend to feel very bloated during my "time", but try snacking on frozen fruit or popcron...which is salty but not as many calories...i like kettle corn and they have some in low calories options at any grocery store..
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster. But magnesium also helps. According to Dr. Oz just 200 mg a day really helps with bloating. (I lost six pounds the first week I took it.) Btw, the pharmacist said it was perfectly safe. :-)
  • JAAndrade
    JAAndrade Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya. I'm also new to this website, this is my first week using it. I LOVE it... I wish I had known about it sooner. Don't keep unhealthy things in the house that are going to tempt you. If you have to give in, then get the 100calorie packs like the Mr. Salty chocolate covered pretzels. Fruit is always good. Raw unsalted almonds, a low calorie Pop Corn, Or buy a low fat or fat free hot chocolate packets, make it with water and sprinkle cinnamon on top. The Hot chocolate helps a lot because you get the chocolate craving under control. Also Cinnamon and almonds are two things that will speed up your metabolism.
  • Hummmingbird
    Hummmingbird Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    ugh i feel your pain! i never crave sweets and i dont really like chocolate but i am the queen of salt!!!!!! especially during my time...which is coming...which im pmsing which makes me want to cry and eat...which is AWFUL! sooo i usually try and watch movies, work out, read, walk around the mall (but dont buy anything!) or even look up healthy recipes and try them out! you are right...ANYTHING to get your mind off of it! i also ask myself.....food is fuel...do i need this fuel? is this high octane fuel?! GOOD LUCK!
  • MartiWillett
    MartiWillett Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster. But magnesium also helps. According to Dr. Oz just 200 mg a day really helps with bloating. (I lost six pounds the first week I took it.) Btw, the pharmacist said it was perfectly safe. :-)

I'll try that thanks!
  • emirhea
    Options
    I think you are doing great!!! :smile: You are right, the cravings are the hardest part of TOM. It's nearly impossible to avoid them. But choosing fruit and other healthy alternatives are smart. Time working out with friends will be another good way to pass some of the time. By next week, when it TOM for me, we'll be too tired to want to eat anything else.... well, we can hope!