Obesity Rate for Young Children Plummets 43% in a Decade

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I hate to rain on the good news, but remember Abraham Lincoln's quote, "There are lies, damned lies, and then there are statistics." Being an engineer I dug deeper. Here is the real truth from the article...buried in paragraph 4.

>>>SHE CAUTIONED THAT THESE VERY YOUNG CHILDREN MAKE UP A TINY FRACTION OF THE AMERICAN POPULATION AND THAT THE FIGURES FOR THE BROADER SOCIETY HAD REMAINED FLAT, AND HAD EVEN INCREASED FOR WOMEN OVER 60.<<<

Only the promising data (sliver) was headlined, but the overall results were unchanged. This is purely data mining.

Sorry people.
    Also
    A8zugliCMAAyaJM.jpg
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested to know the stats for eating disorders in teenagers. Awareness about obesity is one thing, but pressure to always be mindful of what you eat can often have a negative impact, depending on your audience.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the mood to do your research for you

May I suggest a Snickers bar?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm not in the mood to do your research for you

May I suggest a Snickers bar?

No kidding! :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I guarantee that we have not made any significant strides in the battle with obesity, adult or childhood.

I guarantee that you have no proof of this. :smokin:

Listen, this is my job, I research obesity, I am current on all of the peer-reviewed scientific data on the topic, There is nothing to suggest we are doing any better with obesity, feel free to look up some studies, I'm not in the mood to do your research for you

Listen, I don't know you from Adam, so yeah, eat a Snickers and stay out of the forum when you are in a bad mood.

emma-watson-grrrr.gif
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot more fat kids than I remember from years
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    geez, i'm sorry i shared this.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    this data is coming from the same goverment that is telling you that obamacare is a success, the economy is getting better and our borders are secure.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    this data is coming from the same goverment that is telling you that obamacare is a success, the economy is getting better and our borders are secure.

Well there's a nuanced, informed worldview.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options

I don't think you should be sorry for posting it. It's an interesting article, and some of the dissenting opinions have been interesting too. It'll be a good debate to have and worthwhile.
  • hellamark
    hellamark Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Take your Tea Party BS somewhere else. This is a fitness and health site.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Obesity in adults has also been falling. Slightly falling, stagnated for a couple years, began going down recently.

This is pretty much why I laugh at all the supposed steps that need to be taken to solve this "problem" that's already solving itself.

Yeah, the overall data regarding obesity absolutely does not support the notion that this is a problem that you can slap quotation marks around and blindly suggest is "solving itself".

It is not.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I saw this on CNN yesterday, ironically, at the gym. It's gratifying. Maybe some of the message is getting through to the parents. One can only hope.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

:laugh:

Yeah, and the report is from the CDC, which has not commented on any of those things that I can recall.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options

^^^^This

wSUsDDy.gif
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I guarantee that we have not made any significant strides in the battle with obesity, adult or childhood.

Well heck, if I have a guarantee I guess I don't have to worry.

All I can think of when I see this is...
    2a252085892a9789e8d657c7117bc1be01f5d73c77c31296e4ab79555767c0c9.jpg
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I don't think you should be sorry for posting it. It's an interesting article, and some of the dissenting opinions have been interesting too. It'll be a good debate to have and worthwhile.

+1
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Well heck, if I have a guarantee I guess I don't have to worry.

All I can think of when I see this is...
    2a252085892a9789e8d657c7117bc1be01f5d73c77c31296e4ab79555767c0c9.jpg

one of the best quotes in the movie.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Thank God for Michelle Obama-- :sick: :sick:

Pardon me-- I think I just threw up in my mouth.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Agree!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!