Adding protein without adding carbs and fat

Options
I am trying to eat 40% protein, 40% carb, and 20% fat. However I am finding it to be difficult. How do I find foods that are high in protein without being high in other areas. For instance, raw almonds are high in protein but they are also high in fat. Whey protein is high in protein but also in carbs. Thanks.

Replies

• wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Low fat or fat free cottage cheese, skim milk, egg whites, ground turkey breast, black beans, shrimp, scallops, white fish.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    chicken?
  • SZD10
    SZD10 Posts: 6
    Options
    Lean breast chicken meat, Sardines with no sauce, grilled basa fish fillets, tuna in spring water...alll high protein and very little fat and 0 carbs! You just have to research.
  • Csparrow2014
    Csparrow2014 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Sounds great thanks everyone!
  • ingraha
    ingraha Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Low fat or fat free cottage cheese, skim milk, egg whites, ground turkey breast, black beans, shrimp, scallops, white fish.

Thank you for this list.
  • Tyggress73
    Tyggress73 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    There are a LOT of protein powders on the market with high protein and little-to-no carbs and fat.

Optimum Nutrition and Pro7ein Synthesis (Nutrishop) are a couple that I can think of.
    Pro7ein has 34g of protein and only 2g of carbs & 1g of fat.
  • emilysfatsuit
    emilysfatsuit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've tried every which way to cram in as much protein and limit the carbs and fat, and I'm here to tell you the quickest, easiest and best tasting way to do it is by drinking 1 - 2 cans of Pure Protein. Each can has 35 grams of protein, 4 grams of carbs, 1 gram of fat. Two cans = about half the protein I need daily. I drink one can right when I wake up and the second around 3/4pm. I get the rest of my protein at lunch and dinner: single serving packets of Starkist/Bumblebee tuna (16 G protein, 0 g carbs, 1 g fat), egg white omlettes (3 shot glasses = 15 G protein, 0 g carbs, 0 g fat), hard boiled egg or egg salad, salmon, tilapia, etc. For me, the Pure Protein just makes a high protein/moderate carb/low fat (45/35/20) quota doable.
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Turkey breast, but the trytophan make my face feel funny
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    How did you decide on those percentages?

But as has been already stated, white chicken or turkey, lighter fish, and there are lots of protein powders with little or no carbs. I get Dymatize ISO-100. I really dig the taste and it mixes very easily and is almost all protein. Maybe a couple of grams of carbs.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Chicken Breast.
    Tuna
    Egg Whites
    Low Fat Cottage Cheese
    Skim Milk. (little bit of carbs)
  • Csparrow2014
    Csparrow2014 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Someone else I met who lost a lot of weight used those percentages.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I am also keeping to a 45% carb/35% protein/20% fat macro nutrient ratios as recommended by my cousin, who is a nutritionist and trainer of elite athletes. She said this ratio helps with fat loss while retaining lean body mass and fueling workouts. I usually come in a shade lower on the protein and a shade higher on the fat, but I'm keeping at it. I think they call it a "cut" ratio.