Is there a such thing as...

Options
too much cardio? As of the past 2 weeks, I have been taking spinning classes 2-3 times a week and the other 2-3 days I run/jog on a treadmill for 30 minutes. (I work out 5 days a week).

My ultimate goal is to lose weight to meet the Army standard and so far since I've joined MFP I have lost 15 lbs (about 30 days) When I first started MFP, I was doing some strength training, but I feel like I need to lose most of my fat before I do strength training. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks! Any and all input is welcome! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The cumulative total is not excessive but I would not hesitate to start on the strength training too (the cardio will give you endurance, the strength will help with body composition).
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No, there isn't too much cardio. I guess there could be but what your doing isn't even close to being abnormal really. Just know that you have to eat some calories to fuel those workouts otherwise you will lose a lot more than just fat. Make an emphasis on protein.

As for the lifting. Start now. I did what you are doing and had the same mind set. I just wanted to lose the weight. I didn't care. I just wanted it gone so I did nothing but cardio for 3 months. I wish I would have done what I am doing now in the beginning. While I lost the weight and looked a ton better, it doesn't compare to the amount of transformation I have had since adding a lifting heavy routine.
  • jnb143
    jnb143 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Do you think implementing strength training about twice a week would be good or should I do it everyday?
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Start the strength training now, strength will help you (a lot) in the military. I do cardio 5-6x/week and do full body lifting, compound movements 3x/week. Some would argue that I do too much cardio but it is what I love and it is what gets me to the gym. *shrug* works for me and keeps me sane!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    An hour day is not excessive for cardio.

And I agree with the others: don't wait to start strength training! If you start now, imagine how easy those pushps will be when you are lighter!
  • jnb143
    Options
    I'm the same way when it comes to cardio. I may not be the fastest person lol, but i definitely love to run. & I love my spinning sessions! Cardio makes me feel great because of all the sweat!
    Start the strength training now, strength will help you (a lot) in the military. I do cardio 5-6x/week and do full body lifting, compound movements 3x/week. Some would argue that I do too much cardio but it is what I love and it is what gets me to the gym. *shrug* works for me and keeps me sane!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    huffdog
    "I do zero... and that still somehow feels like too much"

I'm about there- I do some because I have to for various reasons- but for ME personally an hr of cardio a day is way to much. WAY WAY to much.

doing 30 minutes a day seems like torture. It happens occasionally- but yeah- not my cup of tea.

edit

just read this part
    but I feel like I need to lose most of my fat before I do strength training.

nope nope nope- strength training as soon as you can.

Maintain muscle mass so you maximize fat loss- best way to do that is to keep strength training!!!

no reason to wait AT ALL!!! GO GO GO GO- GO lift all the things!
  • jnb143
    Options
    You are right! I will change up my routine a bit to start implementing some strength training. Which might mean that I have to go the gym twice a day some days because of my schedule

And I agree with the others: don't wait to start strength training! If you start now, imagine how easy those pushps will be when you are lighter!
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've consulted 3 doctors. All 3 have said cardio 6 days a week for at least 30 minutes is perfectly fine and recommended.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    Building cardo endurance is great. If you have been doing it for a while as it seems you have, then add in a day or two of strength training or split a couple days between strength and cardo if you have the time. I do 3-4 days cardio only (45 min to 1 hour workout) and 2-3 days with a 50/50 split between cardio and strength (usually an hour to hour and a half total time) I workout 6 days a week normally but 1 is a lighter day.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    You are right! I will change up my routine a bit to start implementing some strength training. Which might mean that I have to go the gym twice a day some days because of my schedule

Well, just know that if you are lifting heavy, especially on leg day, it will be tough to do cardio on lifting days. If it's still easy to do cardio on those days, you aren't lifting heavy enough.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I've consulted 3 doctors. All 3 have said cardio 6 days a week for at least 30 minutes is perfectly fine and recommended.

hell no.

way to much for me!!! you keep your doctors!!!

nope nope nope nope!!!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    How about cardio AND strength training. I saw a bigger difference when I added weight lifting to my routine then when I was doing cardio alone.

Heavy compound lifts A++
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The cumulative total is not excessive but I would not hesitate to start on the strength training too (the cardio will give you endurance, the strength will help with body composition).

^This!
  • jnb143
    Options

Well, just know that if you are lifting heavy, especially on leg day, it will be tough to do cardio on lifting days. If it's still easy to do cardio on those days, you aren't lifting heavy enough.

For the first couple weeks when I was doing strength training, Leg Day & cardio do not mix well lol. I could barely run, but I pushed through it
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    Do you think implementing strength training about twice a week would be good or should I do it everyday?

If your goal is fat first then I'd do it a few days a week as you've said
  • jnb143
    Options
    Building cardo endurance is great. If you have been doing it for a while as it seems you have, then add in a day or two of strength training or split a couple days between strength and cardo if you have the time. I do 3-4 days cardio only (45 min to 1 hour workout) and 2-3 days with a 50/50 split between cardio and strength (usually an hour to hour and a half total time) (I workout 6 days a week normally)

I like this a lot! It's getting to the gym on the 6th day is what will be the hardest transition for me lol But you only get what you put into it! Thanks for the input!
  • jnb143
    Options

hell no.

way to much for me!!! you keep your doctors!!!

nope nope nope nope!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    How many days a week to you think Army PRT will have you doing some form of resistance training?
  • jnb143
    Options
    How many days a week to you think Army PRT will have you doing some form of resistance training?

I honestly have no idea. I just want to be prepared for Basic Training, so I'm not the "weakling" of the bunch.