How lon did it take to finish your first 5k?

Options

Replies

• joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    25:58 First and only 5k ran last november. Did RunDouble C25K and finished it about a month before the race, then just did some runs for the weeks before the 5K.

Had dropped about 50 pounds since the start of C25K to the start of the race, so I am sure that had a lot to do with my time. Found out from that 5K that i don't like to race.
  • rebeccatackett
    rebeccatackett Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have completed 13 races since October 2012, 11 of these were 5ks, 2 were obstacle courses. The first 5k was around 46 minutes. My fastest is 32 minutes. I have placed a couple of times for my age group. Anything under an hour for your first race is good. I have found that 5ks are either a love them or hate them type thing. Either you love it and are hooked after just one or you hate it and are done after just one. I loved it, and am hooked while friends who I have convinced to do one, don't want to do another one. Good luck!!
  • charming12u
    charming12u Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you are really worried about your pace, and your race isn't brand new this year, go look at last year's results. When I first started running, I was worried I'd be last, or even picked up by the clean up car. Never happened!!! Ended up kind of in the later part of mid pack. Seeing that my races keep the course open for even 20+ minute miles pace runners helped calm my nerves. And if you have the time, stay and cheer in those later people. Sometimes I think they are the ones working the hardest on the course.
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    24:13, but I had started off fairly slow and then upped my pace a quarter of the way in when my friends said that I should take off. But anything is awesome, under 30 minutes is fabulous for new runners!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I finished in about 35 minutes, which was way faster than I thought I would. The adrenaline I got during my first race pushed me a lot harder than just running on a treadmill or around my neighborhood. It's my competitive nature, I knew I wouldn't win but I wanted to finish before as many other people as I could.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It was a day after Christmas 5k put on by a local university. I was pretty pumped to do it as I hadn't ever been timed. I get there, and I was the only one that showed up for it. The sports director guy offered to just give me the shirt and have me jet out, or he'd be more than happy to time me. I figured I might as well do it, so I ran the indoor track. All by myself. In 29 minutes lol. He jokingly informed me that I won, and had a certficate printed out for me. Kind of a sad experience, and I swung through BK on my way home with some breakfast muffins.
  • Vonikins
    Vonikins Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just did my first 5k and had a time of 47:38 minutes and mosting fast walked and then did some interval jogging after the 2 mile mark. My goal was to be faster than 60 minutes. I was definitely in the middle of the pack with several casual walkers grooving behind. Just be patient with yourself. The hardest part for me was fighting the feeling of needing to keep up with the pack when the race started. I was with a group but knew that I would burn out if I started jogging right out of the gate. Know your pace and don't compare yourself to the pack. It was humbling as the masses slowly stretched to the paces/groupings for each individual and feeling like "everyone" was passing you by. Don't be intimidated or pressured. It is better to take a good pace in the beginning and later push yourself, than to burn hot and then struggle for more of the race than not. Being able to jog through teh finish line and know that I could do better makes me excited for the next race rather than agonizing because one remembers the end of the race more often than the beginning. YOu know your own pace - trust it.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    It was a day after Christmas 5k put on by a local university. I was pretty pumped to do it as I hadn't ever been timed. I get there, and I was the only one that showed up for it. The sports director guy offered to just give me the shirt and have me jet out, or he'd be more than happy to time me. I figured I might as well do it, so I ran the indoor track. All by myself. In 29 minutes lol. He jokingly informed me that I won, and had a certficate printed out for me. Kind of a sad experience, and I swung through BK on my way home with some breakfast muffins.

Awesome story!

First time I ever ran the full 5k distance I did it in 39:20. I was so proud of myself! First official race 2 months later i did 29:52 pushing a jogging stroller while suffering from allergy induced asthma. I was so proud of myself!

Just do it and be proud, whatever the time! :-)
  • k1inoregon
    Options
    My first 5k I came in around 41 minutes. Not too fast... but I reminded myself of two things: 1. I wasn't the VERY last person to cross the finish line. 2. I wasn't still laying in bed or watching t.v. like the majority of the rest of America on an early Saturday morning. Don't worry about your time. Celebrate that you are doing it and that you finish it! Then, worry about beating your own personal records at future 5ks. :-)
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Bump for later
    This-is-dedication.gif
  • swim_mom2
    swim_mom2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It took me about 30 minutes, but I did a lot of training for it. I heard that the average time to complete a 5k was about 30 minutes, so I was too scared to run a race until I was at that pace. Funny enough, at 30 minutes I placed fourth in my age group. It was a small race, but I wish I wasn't so scared to try to keep up.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    My first 5k I did it in 37:49 mins, pace 12 min mile. I had two goals 1. finish the race and 2. no walking. I was able to accomplish both of them.

Just go out there and do your best, do not be concerned about time and finishing fast. Set some goals and achieve them. Have fun
  • aesuter
    aesuter Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My first was 32:31. And I did finish DEAD LAST. =) But don't worry about it if you do too...The only thing I was worried about with my first was actually finishing! You can do it!
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My first was 32:31. And I did finish DEAD LAST. =) But don't worry about it if you do too...The only thing I was worried about with my first was actually finishing! You can do it!

What the heck?! What kind of 5K was this where the slowest person did it in 32 minutes?

Regardless, good job!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    See here's the thing - don't worry about where you finish, because unless you are an elite it is rarely about beating other people. It's about beating your own expectations. I ran my first road 5K in 28min, which was 2 min faster than any of my practice times at the track. That was 15 years ago - I'm 52 now. My fastest road was the following year - 24:30. However I have since run sub that on the treadmill and running intervals on the treadmill at this age, I still finish in about 28min.

Some tips if I may? Careful with your start - everone and I mean everyone - goes out too quickly due to the excitement of the crowd. Know your pace and stick to it. There will be distance markers every km - make yourself a paper bracelet listing the time you should hit each marker based on your intended finish time and check them off as you go. Don't feel obligated to do all the jumping around they make the crowd do before the race - do your own warm up.

Most of all have fun - that's what races are for.

cheers
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    30 minutes and change, my second was 27 minutes and change
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The time for my first 5k was 27:38. I was ecstatic because I was shooting for 30:00.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    28:34
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    48 minutes and I was not last. I was just proud of myself for doing it.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I ran one this morning (just as a training run) and finished in 32:40, and felt like a rockstar! It will be more fun for you if you compete against yourself than against the "winner."