Baby Artichokes

Options
wonderwoman234
wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
Any ideas for baby artichokes that don't involve steaming them and drizzling them with butter and breadcrumbs?

Replies

• avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Cut them in half and roast them like Brussels sprouts; whisk Greek yogurt, a little lemon juice, and dill together to make a dipping sauce.
  • wonderwoman234
    Options
    That sounds terrific! I am going to do that tonight. I roast all kinds of veggies but never thought of artichokes. Thanks!
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    What time should I be there? I'll bring the wine.
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    mmmm...That does sound good!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I like to sautee them with olive oil and garlic, then finish them with a squeeze of lemon juice
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i frickin love baby chokes. and havent been able to find them in over 2 years. seriously. i had originally found them at trader joes yet have been able to find them again. i would cut them in half and sautee them with garlic and lemon. and then dip them in sauce. but my sauce wasnt the healthiest back then. LOL. oh i pray i can find some soon.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Cut in half spray with olive oil and throw them on the grill then add a little balsamic dressing and fresh crushed black pepper.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    If you like jarred marinated artichokes, they're really simple to make too.
  • Geneivievemarie
    Geneivievemarie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    roasting would be great, as would a light sauté. You can cut the amount of oil by browning them with bare bit of oil, maybe with some garlic or shallots, then add a very small amount of water or broth a little at a time to finish softening it up to your taste. Then splash a very very little bit of good vinegar, or lemon juice, and then season to taste. You can grate a bit of good hard cheese if you are inclined-- little goes a long way at the end and doesn't add so many calories if you grate it yourself. Add salt last. Herbs that go well would be fresh oregano, thyme, basil, or rosemary. Crushed black pepper, possibly red pepper flakes if you like it hot!

Also, you could add them to a stir fry or microwave steam them and add them to a frittata.
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    If you do steam them, you can also use different sauces and skip the bread crumbs (or just budget for them in your calories for the day). I usually dip them in a spicy mustard and they taste really good.
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love them so much. I get the big jars from Costco and I'll put them in anything... Tuna salad? Tuna salad with artichokes. Omelette? Omelette with artichokes. Roasted potatoes? With artichokes. Lasagna? Spaghetti? Artichokes in the sauce. Burgers? Artichoke... Slaw... Thing.

All day every day.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    roast them with some goat cheese, lemon zest and garlic. Amazing.
  • wonderwoman234
    Options
    Okay, my mouth is literally salivating. Scrumptious ideas!

Hubby brought home salads with chicken and feta, so the baby chokes will have to wait until tomorrow.....and I can't wait. I am definitely adding lemon with whatever I do with them.

Thanks! (as I wipe the drool from the corner of my mouth.....)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    sautee or roast, and then mix with spinach, fat free cream cheese, greek yogurt, spinces, lemon juice toss that with rotini and shredded cheese then bake. spinach artichoke dip pasta mmmmm
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Bump, sounds great, thanks!