IIFYM High-Protein Meal Ideas???

Options
So...I'm jumping on the IIFYM band wagon since I've been at a bit of a plateau. My plan is 103c/160p/64f per day which breaks out to 34c/53p/12f per meal. Do you all have any high protein meal ideas to share? I've such a carb person that its hard for me to imagine how to "cut them out". Breakfast is especially hard since I'm usually on the run. Any ideas are appreciated!

Replies

• ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think the harder part may be to keep the fat as low as you want to, since most proteins come with fat in my experience.... But the good news is that going over your fat is fine as long as you hit your calorie goal. I pretty much only watch my protein and it works for me.

160 protein is a lot to do, what is your calorie goal and how tall are you? I eat 1700 net, am 5'6 and shoot for 140, which is approximately 1gram/pound of bodyweight for me. Even if you are training should need more than that and you could save some additional calories for those carbs you crave :)

For breakfast I usually have a protein shake - frozen fruit with protein powder and water or milk. When I have it with milk (semiskimmed or full fat) it keeps me full longer thanks to the fat. This is super fast in the blender and just drink

Or you can have an egg omelette, if I do eggs I go with 2 whole eggs and about 4-6 additional egg whites (or just eat it all hard boiled, I love eggs). You can add cheese, bacon or lean ham, turkey meat, spinach, anything.

A PBJ on wholewheat is a good idea, although the above options have much more protein.

Lunch and dinner. I love chilli con carne, just make it with very lean beef and beans, tomato sauce and serve with quinoa, which is another good source of protein. fell in love with Quinoa.

Any meat will do, I love all meats but for teh purposes of staying within my calorie limit and achieving maximum protein I cook a lot of pork tenderloin ( I basically just have the whole cut to myself, a whole pound of it lol), chicken and turkey breast, any other chicken parts, boiled beef or filet mignon skewers, and I usually have that with quinoa, cous cous and veggies. I roast my veggies and have salads and fruits as snacks.

I made protein icecream the other day. Basically made a protein shake with more fruit than usual, with milk and froze it. I have 200 cals and 30g protein per serving, and it's like 2 scoops! love it!

For snacks you can turn to eggs, or meat jerky.

If anything else comes to mind I'll come back :)
  • fortunate1204
    fortunate1204 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow, that helps! Thanks so much for sharing! I'm 5'4" and 160lbs so that's why the protein is so high. It turns out to be about 40% of my diet/day. I need to get a blender for the protein shakes - that would probably help me a lot. Do you have a favorite protein shake brand? I tried the powder Pure Protein a while ago but disliked it because it would become "fluffy".

I'll also have to give protein ice cream a try! Sounds awesome.
  • Charliejl82
    Options
    Your carbs seem too low to me, and your protein a little high. I'd aim for 130 protein, 140 carbs training day 100 non training?

I personally find it tricky to balance all 3 macros every meal, scrambled eggs (more whites than yolks) on a piece of brown bread is good, Greek yoghurt, porridge with peanut butter, or shake mixed in
  • DedicatedRepublic
    Options
    You might consider plain greek yogurt with stevia for sweetening or maybe add some fiber one serial to the yogurt. Outside of that you might add plain baked chicken breast.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    My go to breakfast for more protein is 2 eggs and a slice of cheese in a Mission carb control tortilla wrap along with a cup of milk.
  • fitfoutch
    fitfoutch Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think your macros are spot on! Great job joining the IIFYM team!

I used to feel the same way you do, struggling to get all the protein in, while keeping the C and F down. Now one of my favorite lunches is a roasted veggie (like Brussels sprouts) with a big grilled chicken breast marinated in lime juice and franks red hot. I usually add either a thin slice of cheese to it, or a 1 tablespoon of greek yogurt blue cheese dressing. Gives me all the satisfaction of hot wings with the fullness of the roasted veg. Protein powder is also a good choice, esp for breakfast. I don't remember what brand I use but I buy it at Costco. I like it blended with ice, a room temp cup coffee and 1/3 cup almond milk.

If you do have a Costco nearby check out the Swift Pork Roasts, sold in a 4 roast pack. They are just as lean as chicken breast, and cook up wonderfully. I do it in the crock pot and make super lean filling for enchiladas, pulled pork, and stews. They can also be roasted, or cut into boneless pork chops.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Wow, that helps! Thanks so much for sharing! I'm 5'4" and 160lbs so that's why the protein is so high. It turns out to be about 40% of my diet/day. I need to get a blender for the protein shakes - that would probably help me a lot. Do you have a favorite protein shake brand? I tried the powder Pure Protein a while ago but disliked it because it would become "fluffy".

I'll also have to give protein ice cream a try! Sounds awesome.

do you know your bodyfat %? it's best to decide your protein needs based on lean body mass, if you knew that that would make it easier. You may be overshooting the protein a bit which is not harmful, but it's a lot of work/money spent :)

I had Aminostar Pure CFM Isolate 90 which was great, nice vanilla taste and very soluable. It was a bit pricey so I ordered and will try AllMax Isoflex. I only like proteins that have very high amount of protein in them (so I get 90% of the weight of the scoop in protein grams). This way I feel I get bang for my buck and don't have the added calories from carbs and fat some of the other proteins contain. I can easily get my carbs and fat elsewhere.
  • fortunate1204
    fortunate1204 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think your macros are spot on! Great job joining the IIFYM team!

I used to feel the same way you do, struggling to get all the protein in, while keeping the C and F down. Now one of my favorite lunches is a roasted veggie (like Brussels sprouts) with a big grilled chicken breast marinated in lime juice and franks red hot. I usually add either a thin slice of cheese to it, or a 1 tablespoon of greek yogurt blue cheese dressing. Gives me all the satisfaction of hot wings with the fullness of the roasted veg. Protein powder is also a good choice, esp for breakfast. I don't remember what brand I use but I buy it at Costco. I like it blended with ice, a room temp cup coffee and 1/3 cup almond milk.

If you do have a Costco nearby check out the Swift Pork Roasts, sold in a 4 roast pack. They are just as lean as chicken breast, and cook up wonderfully. I do it in the crock pot and make super lean filling for enchiladas, pulled pork, and stews. They can also be roasted, or cut into boneless pork chops.

Thanks for these suggestions! I love the hot wings "fix". Will have to try it. I'm not a big fan of eggs so I lean towards meats and this is great.