Obesity Rate for Young Children Plummets 43% in a Decade

Options
13»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    this data is coming from the same goverment that is telling you that obamacare is a success, the economy is getting better and our borders are secure.

Agree!!

Not, it's not. It's from the CDC! :laugh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Thank God for Michelle Obama-- :sick: :sick:

Pardon me-- I think I just threw up in my mouth.

I know. While eating a burger, fries and a shake and telling kids they can only eat carrot sticks and a salad. :grumble:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    settle down people, this is a misleading headline used to hype up a story (or non-story). I'm trying to get the full report but I'm having a bit of trouble but from what I got "More than one-third of adults and 17% of youth in the United States are obese, although the prevalence remained stable between 2003-2004 and 2009-2010" and " Overall, there was no significant change from 2003-2004 through 2011-2012 in high weight for recumbent length among infants and toddlers, obesity in 2- to 19-year-olds, or obesity in adults." and finally "Overall, there have been no significant changes in obesity prevalence in youth or adults between 2003-2004 and 2011-2012. Obesity prevalence remains high and thus it is important to continue surveillance."

I cant find the full methods yet but I would need to see the method of categorization used for both their 2004 data and 2012 data, it is possible that the methods could have been different for each study thus confusing the numbers. for example a while back one national organization switched the guidelines for categorization of overweight and obese from one method to another and overnight made millions of people obese, simply by using a different categorization.

I also strongly oppose BMI as a screening method in children, especially in the 2-5 yr old range they are hyping up. Think about it, these kids are in a rapid state of unpredictable growth making it very difficult to accurately categorize them. BMI tells you nothing about the success or health of children, I would be more interested in objective measures of health behaviors, mental health, social outcomes, school performance......... these are the things that mean something.

I don't mean to be a downer, but don't be fooled by over-hyped headlines, I guarantee that we have not made any significant strides in the battle with obesity, adult or childhood. We still do not know enough about it and the world we live in is heavily stacked against our fight.

Take headlines with a grain of salt

I agree with you. According to some numbers I get through my employer ( WHO) It seems that the " Obesity Rate " in toddlers and small children has gone down. However if the average obese 4 year old now only gains five pounds a year over their normal weight gain instead of 5 pounds 11oz.......they still are obese.....and that is what those reports often do not take into consideration. I know people will say " it's better than nothing " and they are theoretically right.......but that kind of attitude usually does more harm than good, because it often avoids planned action.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I really wonder just how significant obesity in toddlers and preschoolers really is. Sure it's associated with adult obesity, but I doubt that there is some sort of causal effect. Hopefully we'll see this next generation grow up to be more healthy than ours did, but I'm not holding my breath.
  • Ang108
    Options
    I guarantee that we have not made any significant strides in the battle with obesity, adult or childhood.

I guarantee that you have no proof of this. :smokin:

Listen, this is my job, I research obesity, I am current on all of the peer-reviewed scientific data on the topic, There is nothing to suggest we are doing any better with obesity, feel free to look up some studies, I'm not in the mood to do your research for you

Usually in scientific and academic circles the burden of proof is on you. You make the statement and you back it up.....unless of course this does not apply in the US ( assuming that's where you are ).
    Apart from that I agree with you . I believe that the battle has not even begun yet.......
  • Ang108
    Options

I wish people would learn to either think, or read the article with a focus on comprehension. The survey was started in 2003 and was not done by the Obama government.....so what does Michelle Obama have to do with any of that ? Just because her name was mentioned in the article does not mean anything.
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    64.8% of all statistics are made up
    LOL Awesome!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    This is purely data mining.

That's not what "data mining" means.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Here's the dirty little secret about the scientific method - studies lag anecdotes.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

I wish people would learn to either think, or read the article with a focus on comprehension. The survey was started in 2003 and was not done by the Obama government.....so what does Michelle Obama have to do with any of that ? Just because her name was mentioned in the article does not mean anything.

LOL-- I didn't even read the article-- that was just a lucky guess.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!