anyone found the root cause of why you gain weight?

Options

Replies

• Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    PCOS,certain medications i had to take,not eating and binge eating
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    The quote, " I use fat for protection," just hit a little close to home.

I can totally agree. I previously said it was eating with the kids and mindlessly...but I think it really was further back, even before some medical issues with pregnancies. I started eating for comfort from trauma and just let that extra padding let me feel invisible. I wanted to feel invisible at times.

Food, eating disorders, weird thinking about food and control, are all a life long battle for me and learning to eat healthfully and mindfully is the gift I am giving myself.
  • RedScathach
    RedScathach Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I gained weight due to depression and not loving myself enough to take care of myself. I maintained that weight gain because I was lazy and kinda hedonistic and didn't pay attention to what I was eating. It's funny, once I really accepted and loved who I, with a little exercise and paying attention to what I eat I am slowly losing.
  • leahxxoo
    leahxxoo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Boredom, laziness, pizza
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    The obvious answer is I ate too much.

The root of the problem would be that I wasn't knowledgeable about my intake. I figured 3 meals a day wasn't too much no matter how many calories were in them.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    cramming my pie hole
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I wasn't moving enough while eating tons of calories in high carb, high calorie desserts.

I don't have a general food addiction. I don't "love" food. But I did have a super unhealthy relationship with sweets, a "last hurrah/start Monday" mentality that had me woofing down tons of sweets because, in my mind, I would be "perfect" tomorrow. And that "perfect" day never arrived, so I eventually ended up pretty much spending years where each day was a "last hurrah" calorie blast, failed "perfect" days, rinse and repeat. I just really, really loved the taste of cake and ice cream.

Once I finally kicked that and put my relationship with sweets into a perspective that worked for me, the root issues disappeared. I'm grateful that I don't have any larger issues with overeating, hunger, binging, or food in general. Once I dealt with the sweets the rest of the stuff just fell into place.
  • Amelia7779
    Amelia7779 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love to eat, especially high calorie foods. Also, if I get out of the habit of exercising for whatever reason, it's hard to get the motivation back.
  • leannegray31
    Options
    I spend too much time eating for fun, and not enough time moving for fun :). And almost all of my favorite foods involve some combination of cheese + starch (loaded potato skins, cheese fries, fettucine alfredo, mac & cheese, pizza, nachos, grilled cheese sandwiches... about the only exception would be brownies, lol), and I can eat those things in outlandish quantities without even thinking. And I tend to eat treats as though every day is a special occasion.

Sure, I am also hypothyroid and have some other health problems that have exascerbated my weight gain over the years, but really the biggest cause is that I eat crap and I don't exercise enough.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    eating too much and zero exercise….
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I like to eat food while I play video games all day. Kind of a recipe for disaster, really.

So now I play video games, but rarely eat while doing so (Which sometimes makes me not eat all day, which is another issue) and make myself move around a lot. A. Lot. Because I still want to eat all the food.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I read your other posts. I'll be willing to bet your root cause is your parents!
  • KristinD1977
    Options
    I have a high cookie drive.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm Italian, I come from a long line of obesity, I drank too much Triple Cola and Reese Cups as a kid and I never moved. That's the root cause of my childhood obesity!
  • Tabbycat54
    Tabbycat54 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I gained weight because of stress. I also had this medical condition that started when I was 8 years old, which, at that age, causes a bunch of confusion and stressed out the little kid me. Later in life, finances started stressing me out. I had one "toxic person" in my life that I kicked to the curb before you could say Quidditch once I found out that she was causing me even more stress.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    My root cause was eating without paying attention to calories and macro nutrients. I grew up eating whatever I wanted and I would never gain weight, I was very skinny. When I hit my early 20's that started to change and I became overweight. Now I can still eat whatever I want but I do it in a controlled manor. I've lost 15 lbs and now i'm where I want to be with my weight. The key really is to develop a lifestyle so you keep the weight off. Mine is tracking my food each day and exercising 6 days a week. I can do that the rest of my life. People jump on these exercise programs or whatever the new fad diet is then they lose weight then when they quit the program they gain it all back which is why I say developing a lifestyle change is how to maintain it.

You have a history that is identical to mine. Until my late 30's, I paid no attention to nutrition and still weighed 100 pounds. I am also now back to my goal weight, eating moderately, exercising moderately, and at least fairly confident that I can continue this plan by improving my nutrition and continuing to log.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Poor eating habits from parents, boredom eating, generally preferring fried foods and sweets to everything else. In our house, a standard meal is something like a plate of chicken and a big helping of white rice. Normally I'd get seconds too, since I'd still be hungry. I generally have to beg for salads and lower calorie foods or I won't get them. For the longest time, my brother was the only one not overweight simply because he eats the least. I still remember my parents trying to convince me that there's nothing wrong with fried foods when I was close to being a hundred pounds overweight. Of course, everything in moderation, but still. You can lose weight by only eating Chicken McNuggets, but it's also a hell of a lot harder than if you eat the right foods (imagine surviving an entire day on 32 nuggets [1520 calories]). I've also led a sedentary life style for the past ten years or so. My exercise would consist of walking from one class to another in school. It's been a little of everything.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Many hours a day sitting and too much food
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    In decreasing order of siginificance (how much they contributed to my gain) :

- starting to eat equal portions with my husband after we moved in together (yes, I know :embarassed: ...)
    - eating for procrastination, i.e. to avoid doing something I hated/was afraid to do
    - snacking too much in addition to having full meals - I was capable of having a large snack at 5 pm and a full dinner at 6 pm for example. Now I am not hungry after the snack so just skip the dinner, may be have a lighter snack later. Similar before lunch - if I get hungry early, I just have an early lunch now, but before I had the snack and the lunch after.

Fixed all of the above, thanks to the fact that MFP has made me really mindful of my eating habbits. Before I didn't even notice I did those things. Also I got on top of most of my emotional problems before starting MFP, and am working on the ones that remain.

ETA: I am aware that I am losing due to calorie deficit. But I hope understanding all of the above will help me not regain it all at the end.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm a foodie and I love to cook. Then after I make something I have all of these leftover ingredients. It a slippery slope.