Is insanity to strong to go into for beginners?

Options
My over all health isn't the best. I've been on this journey to get
In shape for years. I'm determined to put all effort in so I can
Get the body I desire. I've heard a lot about insanity . How its
An intense workout program, you sweat like crazy , and that it is
Very difficult at times. I want to try the 60 day program , but I
Don't know if I should begin doing small exercises for a month to
Get me warmed up for the 60 day challenge.
Any advice?
Does insanity real work ?
Is it to challenging for beginners ?
Should I start with another less intense program first?

Replies

• cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    IMO - Take it at your own pace. As you get the hang of it and start to feel comfortable and your body responds, you can increase the intensity. Very few people are able to go "all out" in this program on day 1, it is normally a progression. Do all the exercises and keep up, just lower your intensity/reps/sets they call for, heck even pause the dvd to catch your breath. Over a couple weeks of being consistent you will find you get better and better, and at the end of 60 days you may even choose to do it again.
    1. Does Insanity work - yes (you get out of it what you put into it)
    2. Is it a challenge for beginners - yes (you cant expect to be a pro day 1, but by day 60 you should be able to keep up nicely)
    3. Should I start with less intensive program first - IMO - no real reason. (any program will be difficult at first and become easier as your body adjusts, go at your own pace and you should find ultimate success)

Good luck...
  • leighann881
    Options
    You can always start with Focus T25. It is a shorter version of Insanity.
  • kamkam23430
    kamkam23430 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love Insanity! I just finished week 1, going into week 2 today so I am a beginner also. I can do just about everything they are doing. I may not be able to do them as well and I definitely cannot go as hard as the video does but I make every effort to go at it as hard I am capable of. By the end, I'm soaked with sweat and feel great! You can do it, just modify the workout to suit your capabilities.
    Yes the program works! I have not lost any lbs yet but I have lost 2 inches off my waist and actually dropped down to my 10's this morning because the 12's were too big. You'll be sore starting out, but it will be worth it! You can do whatever you set your mind to!
  • nikki2084
    Options
    Honestly, I am not that physically fit either, but when I first did Insanity I was about 155LBS and I am 4'11. However, I did Insanity last year and I shrank a size in the first three weeks and at the end of it all I was 136. Mind you, I didn't keep up with everything perfectly. I still went with the general flow of the exercises but I kept at a slower pace. I swear by it. When it came to the second month it was a lot to do for 50 min at first but again, I got used to it. I looked so good when I went home for the summer (I live abroad) and now I feel more knowledgeable in working out and what ta good workout should look like to actually make a difference on your body. Don't let the title give it a way for you. Plus, I liked it so much better than P90X. Just jump right into it and tell yourself that you CAN do this!
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am on week 6 of insanity. It is... insane. I have been circuit training for years and actually used to run a group 5 days a week. My workouts were so intense I had guys puking. Insanity is another level of craziness. It is a cardio challenge and a muscle challenge.

I agree with leighann, try T25 first, once you do this make the jump up to insanity. Or follow the insanity program at your own pace to avoid injury.

Also, you will more than likely NOT lose much weight on Insanity. The only reason I have lost 10 pounds these past 6 weeks is because after 3 weeks of the scale not budging I started following the 17 day diet.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1206991-ladies-and-insanity

You are the only one who knows your body though. And you will not get the results you want unless you push your body to new limits.
  • leighann881
    Options
    Also, you will more than likely NOT lose much weight on Insanity.

True story.
  • leighann881
    Options
    "You can't out-train a poor diet." Not saying that anyone's diet is poor BUT just because Insanity is INSANE doesn't mean that it is the one magical fix. Combing Insanity with a good diet is a great start to a weight loss journey!
  • jade_222
    jade_222 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm new to Insanity (trying to lose the baby weight). Insanity was the first program I heard about from Beachbody so I bought it. I'm on day 10. In terms of wether you can do it, it is more mental than physical. Yes, it is very physical and you will have moments in the videos when you just stop when you see the next move and say "this is insane." But if you keep pushing play and dig deeper you will be amazed at what you can actually do! And if you can't do it, because there are things that are difficult, if you just try you will find that you can learn it and improve. And the results are amazing, I've lost 5 lbs so far and I know I've lost inches (just haven't done my second measurement yet), and that's after 10 days!

Now that I have learned about T25 I may have bought that first, but only because it is shorter. The workouts in Insanity are 30-60 minutes long and I get up in the mornings at 5:30 to do them.

But I wouldn't be scared to do Insanity as a beginner, modify what you need to and do what you can.
  • anallydiaz
    anallydiaz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I started Insanity when I was in the worse shape of my life. I was 225lbs and I hadn't worked out at all in about a year. I didn't do any "training" before it and I was totally fine. Of course its hard, specially in the beginning. I was very sore for the first couple of days, but then my body got used to it. I did it 2 times in a row and I lost 45lbs. I highly recommend it and do not think you need any sort of "training" to start doing it.
  • God_Makeup_Fitness
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your comments and really helpful advice !!
    I forsure will be checking it out soon and let you all know
    My progress after the 60 days. Thank you all!!(:
  • jlmuise25
    jlmuise25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Insanity is great! As far as being a beginner on Insanity, you can pause, rewind, etc as much as you need to to get where you want to be. Go at your own pace. You won't be perfect or even a pro at first, but it will come naturally after a while. Good luck!!
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you are not the active and fit to begin with I would not encourage Insanity as a first time program. Yes there are modifications but it is intense and some of the workouts are 5o+ minutes. But if you can wrap your mind around the intensity and be ok with pausing and modifying but not quitting then I would say do it. I personally started with ChaLean Extreme as it mixed cardio and weights. I lost 50 pounds. But that was the fit for me. What do you like to do?
  • didislim
    Options
    It depends what you mean by beginner. Have you NEVER worked out and just starting out? Then I say no. Anyone can do anything they want but insanity is a heck of a workout. I did it years ago when I was somewhat fit, and it kicked my butt. If you follow a low carb moderate protein diet you will lose some weight, but without it, you will most likely tone. I have done cross fitness in the past years ago, so I would do insanity on the days I couldn't get to the cross fitness gym for my 6am class.
    Umm now that I am 50 pounds HEAVIER due to my own unhealthy habits and yo-yo dieting, I am somewhat of a beginner. I wouldn't DARE do insanity now. If you have never worked out, you could risk injury please consult your Primary Physician before starting any workout of course.
    Now if you are used to working out and need somethin to push you to the next level, insanity is AWESOME. I hope to do it again someday soon when I am used to working out. And mind you I ised to be VERY fit, I have run half marathons. But after gaining all this weight, I would ease back into it slowly.
  • God_Makeup_Fitness
    Options
    If you are not the active and fit to begin with I would not encourage Insanity as a first time program. Yes there are modifications but it is intense and some of the workouts are 5o+ minutes. But if you can wrap your mind around the intensity and be ok with pausing and modifying but not quitting then I would say do it. I personally started with ChaLean Extreme as it mixed cardio and weights. I lost 50 pounds. But that was the fit for me. What do you like to do?

Thank you for your comment <3I am not active at all so I decided I'm going to start with a
    30 day program and then do insanity for April and may(:
    I like to have some what of fun while I'm exercising so I'm
    Going to probably do zumba. I'm not in any sports because I work
    And I'm going to be going to college.
  • God_Makeup_Fitness
    Options
    It depends what you mean by beginner. Have you NEVER worked out and just starting out? Then I say no. Anyone can do anything they want but insanity is a heck of a workout. I did it years ago when I was somewhat fit, and it kicked my butt. If you follow a low carb moderate protein diet you will lose some weight, but without it, you will most likely tone. I have done cross fitness in the past years ago, so I would do insanity on the days I couldn't get to the cross fitness gym for my 6am class.
    Umm now that I am 50 pounds HEAVIER due to my own unhealthy habits and yo-yo dieting, I am somewhat of a beginner. I wouldn't DARE do insanity now. If you have never worked out, you could risk injury please consult your Primary Physician before starting any workout of course.
    Now if you are used to working out and need somethin to push you to the next level, insanity is AWESOME. I hope to do it again someday soon when I am used to working out. And mind you I ised to be VERY fit, I have run half marathons. But after gaining all this weight, I would ease back into it slowly.

By beginner I mean I do not do any exercise. I ran 3 min. The other day and that's
    All I could do. I am very out of shape , I have not been fully active in
    Exercise since my senior yr. Of high school which is almost 3 years ago.
    I'm trying to get on track. I have access fat I want to get rid of,
    Like my belly fat. So would insanity not help with that? Or will
    Insanity just build muscle ?
  • sj915
    sj915 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    if you are in any sort of shape, you will be ok. if you are overweight and not used to physical activity, then no, do not start this yet. you do start out in a "level 1" for month 1 where the workouts are shorter, but still intense (don't get me wrong). it's the 2nd month that you start swearing and crying at the tv! :-P but if you are used to being physically active, then you should just dive into it. repeat Month 1 before going to Month 2 if you don't feel like you got much out of it (aka you weren't in as good of shape as you thought and you couldn't really keep up as well). Don't give up. I finished it about a month ago and in Month 1 I saw results and stuck w/ the nutrition plan. Christmas hit around Month 2 and then NY held me back a bit :( I am going to go through and do the 2 months again right before my wedding
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My over all health isn't the best. I've been on this journey to get
    In shape for years. I'm determined to put all effort in so I can
    Get the body I desire. I've heard a lot about insanity . How its
    An intense workout program, you sweat like crazy , and that it is
    Very difficult at times. I want to try the 60 day program , but I
    Don't know if I should begin doing small exercises for a month to
    Get me warmed up for the 60 day challenge.
    Any advice?
    Does insanity real work ?
    Is it to challenging for beginners ?
    Should I start with another less intense program first?

I am 2 workouts away from having completed Insanity for the first time.

Physically & mentally I feel pretty amazing - like my *kitten* has gone from a wad of cookie dough to being carved out of wood.

My results aren't particularly impressive (about 1lb down, 5inches and .5% body fat) but my muscles are more defined all over and I ate more than I should (averaged about 1950 cals a day).
    I do have some ab definition for the first time *ever* in my life though and I doubled my 'Fit Test' results too.

No doubt, had I kept the calories down I am sure there would have been more impressive results - you certainly can't exercise your way out of eating/drinking too much.

It is NOT for beginners. Even the Fit Test (first 15 mins) had me stopping to dry retch into a bin and I was working out 6 days a week beforehand.

Anyone jumping from the couch into this will 1) give up well before day 6, let alone day 60 and/or 2) injure themselves - REALLY badly.

This guy has written a great detailed review. http://www.lifestyleupdated.com/insanity-workout-review/

You should start with another less intense program first.

I have been finding it a slog and I had completed all the Jillian Michael's DVDs in the 12 months beforehand (30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, No More Trouble Zones etc).

Start off with a Jillian Michael workout (they are readily available on You Tube).
  • nking404
    nking404 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    IMO - Take it at your own pace. As you get the hang of it and start to feel comfortable and your body responds, you can increase the intensity. Very few people are able to go "all out" in this program on day 1, it is normally a progression. Do all the exercises and keep up, just lower your intensity/reps/sets they call for, heck even pause the dvd to catch your breath. Over a couple weeks of being consistent you will find you get better and better, and at the end of 60 days you may even choose to do it again.
    1. Does Insanity work - yes (you get out of it what you put into it)
    2. Is it a challenge for beginners - yes (you cant expect to be a pro day 1, but by day 60 you should be able to keep up nicely)
    3. Should I start with less intensive program first - IMO - no real reason. (any program will be difficult at first and become easier as your body adjusts, go at your own pace and you should find ultimate success)

Good luck...

^^^^^ thats pretty much dead on

Insanity is what you put into it IMHO, I love it personally I started at 209 and I am currently at 186 and I still have 1 week and 3 days left and my cardio is through the roof!! Results vary from person to person but you will definately see results with a good diet, giving INSANITY your all, and plenty of rest. If your a beginner take it at your own pace but always go 100% and DIG DEEPER and you will definately see the results. Believe me the workout's are tough as nails you wont be able to do everything Im almost done with it and I still cant do it all lol, but I can do alot more than I began with. I do it with a great group of people on MFP my INSANE FRIENDS LOL they're very motivating and very dedicated to the program send me an add if you like!!! All it takes is some good old fashioned DEDICATION AND DISCIPLINE and Im sure you will make it through!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I couldn't keep up with insanity and had to give up after day 3. Insanity killed my legs and knee tendons. I should have taken it easier and I haven't gotten back into it.

I just want to recommend that before starting any program take some before photos as well as body measurements. They will show the true changes made.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    nking04 has got it right....it's DEDICATION and DISCIPLINE!

I can't agree with the person that said you won't lose much weight on it though. I started the program at 190, will be finishing it in TWO DAYS, and have almost hit my first goal of 15lbs to lose.

Does it work? -- How hard do YOU work? How focused are YOU? Are you going to give up on it because of a little pain and because you're out of breath? This program weeds out the ones that aren't dedicated REALLY fast!

Is it a challenge for beginners? -- YES!! Is it a challenge for people that already workout and are in shape?? -- YES!! You see the people in the video drop like flies and at ALL stages!

This program is VERY physical, and its even MORE mental! Week 1 of month 2 about broke me, but thanks to my INSANE group of friends, I persevered through injuries (doctor cleared) via modifications, and mental toughness. When I'm done, I'm going to do a video of what I can do now that I COULDN'T do, when I started!