Need help with clean eating!

Options
Yes, I am going to give clean eating another try and I am making my shopping list tonight. I want to go as clean as possible but probably not 100% ... like, I can't make my own condiments and seasonings and stuff like that. I'm still going to use salad dressing, low sodium taco seasoning, etc... I'm just wanting to avoid boxed food, frozen food and other packaged foods that are full of crap! And I'm going to add more fruits, veggies and lean meats.

So gimme some ideas! I know there are a lot of you on here that eat clean so what is your typical shopping list? What are your favorite clean meals and recipes? And any other tips...?

Replies

• JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Stick to the perimeter of the grocery store where all the real food is, and you'll do great!

As for recipes, you can really make anything you'd otherwise buy in a box. For instance I made my own jambalaya the other night that's lasted for days - and THAT'S the kicker. If you prepare a LOT of something at one time, then you've got a lot of quick and easy meals the next couple days.

Convenience is one of the reasons people give up on eating whole foods, but all you need to do is think ahead, think big, and freeze/refrigerate for later!

good luck :)
  • jessicahill530
    jessicahill530 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you do a google search of clean eating shopping list you will get tons of hits. Also, pinterest is where I find most of my clean eating recipes and ideas. Good luck!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am going to give clean eating another try and I am making my shopping list tonight. I want to go as clean as possible but probably not 100% ... like, I can't make my own condiments and seasonings and stuff like that. I'm still going to use salad dressing, low sodium taco seasoning, etc... I'm just wanting to avoid boxed food, frozen food and other packaged foods that are full of crap! And I'm going to add more fruits, veggies and lean meats.

So gimme some ideas! I know there are a lot of you on here that eat clean so what is your typical shopping list? What are your favorite clean meals and recipes? And any other tips...?

Just to point out, as far as the "Frozen food"... I'm sure you're referring to frozen meals and the like but keep in mind that frozen vegetables are actually as nutritious or even more so than the fresh ones unless you are at your local farmer's market.

You'll need to hit the grain aisle for rice, as well, pasta if you want that (I know I'm not about to make my own).

I can fill half my cart in the produce section, then meats, dairy and frozen for fish and veggies.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Stick to the perimeter of the grocery store where all the real food is, and you'll do great!

As for recipes, you can really make anything you'd otherwise buy in a box. For instance I made my own jambalaya the other night that's lasted for days - and THAT'S the kicker. If you prepare a LOT of something at one time, then you've got a lot of quick and easy meals the next couple days.

Convenience is one of the reasons people give up on eating whole foods, but all you need to do is think ahead, think big, and freeze/refrigerate for later!

I always have to venture into the isles for tea, but the perimeter advice is sound.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

I always have to venture into the isles for tea, but the perimeter advice is sound.

^ excellent point.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I always recommend the book and movie Forks Over knives. The book is full of recipes for healthy eating.
    You're welcome to friend me if you like to see how I eat.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Do dip into the aisles for dry beans, oats, barley, quinoa, chia seeds, natural nut butters, and any spices you are short on.

If you won't be using canned chicken broth, you may want to get some chicken to boil and make broth to freeze, then you can pull the meat off and freeze that for adding to meals. I find that having chicken broth handy helps for healthy cooking.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I never understood the real reasoning for only shopping the "perimeter of the market."

What about cleaning products, toilet tissues, coffee, tea, pasta, rice, cereals, canned tuna, peanut butter, etc. ?There are many frozen packaged foods in the perimeter of many markets, and bakeries and the deli section are also in the perimeter.

Sooo what a bout a list with the things that we need and want to buy and having self control and wisdom while shopping; doesn't this make more sense?
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    I never understood the real reasoning for only shopping the "perimeter of the market."

What about cleaning products, toilet tissues, coffee, tea, pasta, rice, cereals, canned tuna, peanut butter, etc. ?There are many frozen packaged foods in the perimeter of many markets, and bakeries and the deli section are also in the perimeter.

Sooo what a bout a list with the things that we need and want to buy and having self control and wisdom while shopping; doesn't this make more sense?

you act as if these two concepts are exclusive of the other. lol
  • Kennedi6
    Kennedi6 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great idea and thanks for sharing.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options

I prefer the perimeter because it has cakes and pies. I never put those on my list.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - your ticker says that you have lost 33 pounds already which is good progress. I am curious as to the reasoning behind your change to "clean eating'?

You also mentioned that you are trying this "again", did you try before and it not worked?
  • juski444
    Options
    This is my typical grocery list :)

Almond milk or Soy milk
    Chicken breasts, lean ground beef
    Tilapia (or any frozen white fish really)
    Eggs
    Bananas, Apples, Oranges, Grapes etc.. (Fruits basically )
    Frozen berries (To make smoothies or put on top of my morning oatmeal as is cheaper than fresh berries)
    Frozen vegetables (Like peppers, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans or peas, carrots... Depends on what I'm making that week)
    Brown rice, Whole wheat bread, Whole wheat pasta, Kelp noodles
    Skyr (It's an Icelandic style of Greek yogurt as I call), Low fat yogurts
    Almonds, Sunflower seeds, Walnuts
    Raisins, Prunes
    Chickpeas, Kidney beans
    Tuna in brine or water
    Rice cakes
    Peanut butter or Almond butter (All natural)
    Cereal (For gonna-be-late mornings :) )
    Low fat cheese, Cottage cheese
    Sweet potatoes, Spinach, Iceberg, Cucumber, Baby carrots
    Simply, all the vegetables in season
    Oats, Cereal bars (not super healthy but great for those days when I need a snack but got no time, just grab 'n go! )
    Sweetener
    Lemon juice, Lime juice
    Green tea
    Seasonings, Cinnamon, Cayenne pepper, Organic cocoa powder
    Garlic, Onions, Spring onions
    No sugar added raspberry or strawberry preserves
    Coconut flour, Whole wheat flour
    Olive oil, Fat-free cooking spray

You OBVIOUSLY don't have to buy these things all at once but these are the things that I need to have in MY house. It is just to give you an IDEA of what I eat. There is nothing new or very exciting, but I like it. Nothing too complicated, too expensive, things you can't find or whatever. I like to have it simple, budget friendly and CLEAN! :) It is not 100% clean (Cereals, preserves, sweetener, yogurts) but there is no such thing as a perfectly healthy, perfectly clean and perfectly perfect diet. Do whatever you can do, and it will work. Stay away from the cookie aisle, as well as processed food aisle and you'll be good. I promise :)
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    GREAT POST!!! Thanks for sharing this!!
    This is my typical grocery list :)

Almond milk or Soy milk
    Chicken breasts, lean ground beef
    Tilapia (or any frozen white fish really)
    Eggs
    Bananas, Apples, Oranges, Grapes etc.. (Fruits basically )
    Frozen berries (To make smoothies or put on top of my morning oatmeal as is cheaper than fresh berries)
    Frozen vegetables (Like peppers, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans or peas, carrots... Depends on what I'm making that week)
    Brown rice, Whole wheat bread, Whole wheat pasta, Kelp noodles
    Skyr (It's an Icelandic style of Greek yogurt as I call), Low fat yogurts
    Almonds, Sunflower seeds, Walnuts
    Raisins, Prunes
    Chickpeas, Kidney beans
    Tuna in brine or water
    Rice cakes
    Peanut butter or Almond butter (All natural)
    Cereal (For gonna-be-late mornings :) )
    Low fat cheese, Cottage cheese
    Sweet potatoes, Spinach, Iceberg, Cucumber, Baby carrots
    Simply, all the vegetables in season
    Oats, Cereal bars (not super healthy but great for those days when I need a snack but got no time, just grab 'n go! )
    Sweetener
    Lemon juice, Lime juice
    Green tea
    Seasonings, Cinnamon, Cayenne pepper, Organic cocoa powder
    Garlic, Onions, Spring onions
    No sugar added raspberry or strawberry preserves
    Coconut flour, Whole wheat flour
    Olive oil, Fat-free cooking spray

You OBVIOUSLY don't have to buy these things all at once but these are the things that I need to have in MY house. It is just to give you an IDEA of what I eat. There is nothing new or very exciting, but I like it. Nothing too complicated, too expensive, things you can't find or whatever. I like to have it simple, budget friendly and CLEAN! :) It is not 100% clean (Cereals, preserves, sweetener, yogurts) but there is no such thing as a perfectly healthy, perfectly clean and perfectly perfect diet. Do whatever you can do, and it will work. Stay away from the cookie aisle, as well as processed food aisle and you'll be good. I promise :)
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies :)
  • JenMarie8781
    Options
    OP - your ticker says that you have lost 33 pounds already which is good progress. I am curious as to the reasoning behind your change to "clean eating'?

You also mentioned that you are trying this "again", did you try before and it not worked?

Thank you but I had originally lost 107 and gained A LOT back during and after my last pregnancy :(
    So now I am starting over and trying to get back on track. I lost the weight by eating what I wanted (except sweets and fast food), but in moderation.
    Then I decided I wanted to stop eating processed food and gave clean eating a try about almost a year ago and I only lasted a week. So now I want to give it another try! I know I can lose weight by JUST counting calories and still eating processed foods... but I know it's not good for me so I'd like to start changing WHAT I'm eating instead of just how much :)
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options

PERIMETER SECURE.

(lol COD flashback)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    OP you may want to view this link:

http://media.cleaneating.com.s3.amazonaws.com/PDFS/ShoppingLists/CE19ShoppingListsWeek1.pdf

good luck; PS--week 2 is right beside it on the thread. Enjoy.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Wash all cheeseburgers and slices of pizza thoroughly. Make sure to rinse off and additional soap.