Protein intake as a vegan/vegetarian

Options
I follow a vegan diet most days of the week, but do eat eggs once a week. I'm having a lot of trouble getting enough protein in my diet. There's nothing (vegan) that contains more protein than carbs. I always find myself going over my sugar or carbs most days and I eat a lot of fruit. Nuts contain some protein, but not nearly enough and they are extremely caloric. So, in order to get the most protein out of them, you need to eat lots. Anybody else here a vegan/vegetarian? How do you meet your protein requirements? Any suggestions for protein rich foods/recipes? Thanks

Replies

• Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for many years and followed a moderate protein intake, 70-90g depending on what kind of workout (strength vs cardio) I was doing. These numbers were based on my lean body mass, your needs may be different.

Unfortunately, you will probably have to supplement if you have a rather high goal like I did. Soy protein powder is an excellent dense source that is easy to incorperate. There are also raw protein powders, pea & hemp proteins, etc depending on the flavor you want and ingredients you feel comfortable with. I usually did one fruit smoothie made with soy or almond milk with protein powder each day to ensure I got what I needed.

Other than that, I would try to include vegan proteins at each meal. These can be in the form of imitation meats from brands like Tofurky or Gardein or less processed items such as tofu and tempeh. You can even make your own high protein meat substitute, seitan, using vital wheat gluten and some seasoning. I even have my meat loving brother making his own seitan, it's pretty easy.

I hope this helps. Peace!
  • weber22c
    Options
    It definitely is hard to get more protein than carbs as a vegetarian - I was vegetarian for 18 years and my life has gotten vastly easier since I started eating chicken and fish.

I would suggest eating beans, chickpeas (which are really just another type of bean), lentils, tofu, and dairy like plain greek yoghurt. If you eat eggs, egg whites can be a great source of protein as well. Ultimately you may need to supplement with a protein powder depending on your activity level.
  • ZaraliciousZ
    Options
    Try Beyond Meat brand Lightly Seasoned Chicken Strips. Also Vega One brand nutrition shake powder. :)