Subway

Options
13»

Replies

• Mr_Boy
    Mr_Boy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bread is the biggest problem IMO. You can easily be talking 350 calories for a plain bread roll/bap/bun.
    Butter/oil is a big issue two. Butter your roll and you could quite easily be near 500 calories before you put any fillings inside.

I don't know what kind of bread and butter you are using, but an ordinary serving of both would be nowhere near that many calories. That's why you are supposed to eat such things in MODERATION.
    Yes, they would. Plain white bread can easily exceed 100 calories a slice. A regular loaf we buy is 120 so that's 250 for a simple sandwich. We have bread which is 60 a slice but it's basically only because it's half the size, not much bigger than a cracker!

If you eat sandwiches, it is very hard to keep calories low (I aim for lunch under 300). If I make 'sandwiches' using crackers or ryebread, I can have cheese and meat easily.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Bread is the biggest problem IMO. You can easily be talking 350 calories for a plain bread roll/bap/bun.
    Butter/oil is a big issue two. Butter your roll and you could quite easily be near 500 calories before you put any fillings inside.

I don't know what kind of bread and butter you are using, but an ordinary serving of both would be nowhere near that many calories. That's why you are supposed to eat such things in MODERATION.
    Yes, they would. Plain white bread can easily exceed 100 calories a slice. A regular loaf we buy is 120 so that's 250 for a simple sandwich. We have bread which is 60 a slice but it's basically only because it's half the size, not much bigger than a cracker!

If you eat sandwiches, it is very hard to keep calories low (I aim for lunch under 300). If I make 'sandwiches' using crackers or ryebread, I can have cheese and meat easily.
    Your claim was that with the bread product and butter, you'd be near 500 calories. If your bread is 250 for 2 slices, and you use 1 tbsp of butter (a serving) which is 100 calories, that's 350 calories. Nowhere near 500. Comparison shopping can get you bread that's 60-90 calories per slice, saving you calories there, and you can buy the Land O' Lakes Whipped Butter for 50 calories per serviing. Now you're only at 240 before your meats and cheeses, top end. It's all about taking the time to do the homework.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Definitely the pepperoni. Very high in fat.

Subway is one of the few fast food places that I go to. I always have a veggie delite, no cheese, on wheat with red wine vinegar. I don't miss the meat at all.

The oven roasted chicken breast is on sale here until the end of the month..............tomorrow.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Black Forest Ham

*drool*
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Your claim was that with the bread product and butter, you'd be near 500 calories. If your bread is 250 for 2 slices, and you use 1 tbsp of butter (a serving) which is 100 calories, that's 350 calories. Nowhere near 500. Comparison shopping can get you bread that's 60-90 calories per slice, saving you calories there, and you can buy the Land O' Lakes Whipped Butter for 50 calories per serviing. Now you're only at 240 before your meats and cheeses, top end. It's all about taking the time to do the homework.

It comes back to "smart shopping" in this thread too. :laugh:
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

It comes back to "smart shopping" in this thread too. :laugh:

As usual. :wink: