Need help with my nuts...

Options
ok I know! I know!! It has been asked before but I am trying to lose weight without losing muscle and I have my macros set to

Protein 45%
Fat 15%
Carb 40%

I am having a difficult time staying under my fat level (I eat nuts and nut butters) and an even more difficult time reaching my protein level... should I be cutting the nuts out and replace with protein or should I change my macros?

I am curious as to what the majority of people who are trying to lose weight have their macro's set

Replies

• serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Take 15% from your protein and stick it in your fat spot. Problem solved. :)
  • MandyMason7
    MandyMason7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    The majority of people I've seen post have their macros set at 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat
  • charlicee
    Options
    Make sure your nut butters have no added sugars, and little to no added salt. Then make it 40/30/30, nuts are good sources for both fat and protein!
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You can add some Greek yogurt to your diet for a good source of nonfat protein. You should also remember that fat is a necessary, healthy, part of your diet and the body needs a certain amount daily. As far as setting your macros, I'll leave that advice to others in the forum who are far wiser than I.
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You can add some Greek yogurt to your diet for a good source of nonfat protein. You should also remember that fat is a necessary, healthy, part of your diet and the body needs a certain amount daily. As far as setting your macros, I'll leave that advice to others in the forum who are far wiser than I.

I am allergic to dairy, soy and I am also gluten free. no greek yogurt for me :( (food allergies are part of the protein problem) not a big fan of eggs or egg whites ...I can't tolerate them everyday (my stomache can't tolerate them every day) but maybe once or twice a week would help
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Make sure your nut butters have no added sugars, and little to no added salt. Then make it 40/30/30, nuts are good sources for both fat and protein!

Unless her doctor has told her to avoid sugar or salt, there is not any issue with consuming either of those... added or naturally occurring in food. :flowerforyou:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    ok I know! I know!! It has been asked before but I am trying to lose weight without losing muscle and I have my macros set to

Protein 45%
    Fat 15%
    Carb 40%

I am having a difficult time staying under my fat level (I eat nuts and nut butters) and an even more difficult time reaching my protein level... should I be cutting the nuts out and replace with protein or should I change my macros?

I am curious as to what the majority of people who are trying to lose weight have their macro's set

Your fat macro is way too low. You should be getting between 0.3 and 0.4 grams of fat per Lb of your body weight. For me, that equates to about 30% of my diet...15% is too low. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat...up your fat macro...it is an essential macro-nutrient.

40c/30p/30f is a pretty typical ratio that is known as the "zone" or "zone diet." It is what I set to while I'm losing as it gets my proteins and fats where they need to be and I just increase carbohydrate intake when I'm in maintenance.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is supposed to be a good source of protein and its gluten free
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Good sources of protein are green vegetables. I.e. Edamame, green beans, broccoli and asparagus.
    Stef.
  • Karabobarra
    Options

Protein 45%
    Fat 15%
    Carb 40%

Your fat macro is way too low. You should be getting between 0.3 and 0.4 grams of fat per Lb of your body weight. For me, that equates to about 30% of my diet...15% is too low. Dietary fat doesn't make you fat...up your fat macro...it is an essential macro-nutrient.

40c/30p/30f is a pretty typical ratio that is known as the "zone" or "zone diet." It is what I set to while I'm losing as it gets my proteins and fats where they need to be and I just increase carbohydrate intake when I'm in maintenance.

thank you. ...This is what i was looking for
  • Karabobarra
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the input. ...I have found a protein powder that works for me, I just need to start doing a shake every day for some help with the protein.
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I don't have any input but I have to say the subject line made me laugh