Cooking eggs in microwave

Options
funkygas
funkygas Posts: 191 Member
I'm currently travelling for business and I've got a fridge and microwave in my room (yay!). Normally I would just get some frozen meals (trying for as healthy as possible) and heat them in the microwave, but this trip I thought I'd try cooking eggs and having some sort of scrambled eggs and ham for a meal instead - less processed ingredients etc. Does anyone have any tips for cooking eggs in the microwave?

I have a microwave-safe bowl and some plastic cutlery at my disposal - not much, but it's better than nothing! All advice is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• dewaltfan
    dewaltfan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do this every morning at work. I use EggBeaters, a slice of Velveeta Jalapeno cheese, and a couple of turkey sausage links. First measure out how many servings of the eggs that I want for that day, usually 3-4 (100 calories), tear up the cheese and mix it in. Then pop it in the microwave for about a minute, take it out and pop in the sausage for about 30 seconds just to get them warm. After the sausage is done take it out and cut it up and mix it in with the eggs and cheese and stir. Put it back into the microwave and cook for about a minute, stir, add some hot sauce and enjoy. If I have some fresh salsa I add that also. Total of about 230 Calories and totally filling for the whole morning.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    sure, just wisk the egg like you would scrambled eggs (with a bit of water), microwave for about 1 min on 50% power, then stir and 30 more seconds on 50% (depending on the microwave)...make sure you cover it with a paper towel. You can not wisk it if you want more of a "soft egg" but make sure you poke the yolk a couple of times and put a paper towel over the top.
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I make egg tacos a lot - making the eggs in the microwave. Wisk and add a little water or milk and cook for 1 min. They come out super fluffy. Just watch it, sometimes I stop it sooner and mix and put back in to nuke a bit longer.
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Good for you - it is so hard to avoid processed junk when traveling for work! Depending on the dimensions of your bowl, you can make a perfect, round egg patty to pop on an english muffin or sandwich round - no stirring necessary during cooking. Time will vary by microwave, but I add 1 or 2 eggs to a large soup mug (kind of half way between a cereal bowl and a mug) that I spray first with 100% oil spray. The oil is optional - just makes it a little easier to clean the bowl later. I whisk the egg with a fork to at least break the yolk (necessary - it will explode otherwise) and nuke 50 seconds for 1 egg or about 70 for 2. Pull it out and give it the poke test after a little less than a minute and nuke more if needed. When it's done, you will have a round egg to put on a breakfast sandwich. I like to serve on an all natural english muffin with some hot sauce and maybe a slice of cheese. Totally doable in a hotel mini kitchen.

Good luck!
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I found the eggs worked well when I microwaved for 30 secs, then stirred and continued microwaving for 10 sec intervals and stirring in between. Also, adding the ham right at the beginning. It's been really yummy and I feel much better than having canned soup or frozen meals (not that there's anything wrong with these, I just wanted to do something different this trip!).
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You can poach them in there too. Small bowl with water and vinegar. You'll probably need to google it though, I can't remember the exact process.
  • slasure1
    Options
    if you add about 1tsb water and mix well it they come out fluffy. cook about 1 min ( depends os=n microwave) and stir at least once durrning cooking so they don't stick. good luck
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    My hubby poaches eggs in the microwave. I'm afraid you will need to google for cooking times. However, it is important to heat up the bowl of water first, before breaking the eggs in. Yolks, having a higher fat content tend to cook faster in the microwave. if you poach in cold water, the yolks are overcooked by the time the whites are set.
  • photoshell
    photoshell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been making a breakfast burrito that comes out great. I buy the Egg Beaters Smart Cups. Pour one in a bowl. Micro for 1 min. Stir. Top with salt, pepper, and 1 Kraft 2% Cheese. Micro for 30 sec. more. Then put in a tortilla or flat out wrap! Easy and very filling. Can top with salsa if you like
  • fortunate1204
    fortunate1204 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see this suggestion. I'm so over hard boiled eggs and wondered how I could get scrambled ones at work. This is awesome!
  • CLessOfMe2014
    Options
    Thank you, I also will try your quick egg breakfast---I love the hot sauce idea too!
  • Dboggs166
    Dboggs166 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    sure, just wisk the egg like you would scrambled eggs (with a bit of water), microwave for about 1 min on 50% power, then stir and 30 more seconds on 50% (depending on the microwave)...make sure you cover it with a paper towel. You can not wisk it if you want more of a "soft egg" but make sure you poke the yolk a couple of times and put a paper towel over the top.

I do this all the time and it works great. I usually do it in a coffee cup with a sprinkle of cheese and some salt and pepper.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    In the post it tells you how to poach an egg in the microwave:

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/homemade-egg-mcmuffin.html

This post is about egg mugs. You can make an omelet in a coffee mug. You can use 2 eggs beaten or 1/2 cup egg beaters. tons of recipes on Hungry girls website and on the Egg beaters site.

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/spanish-omelet-in-mug.html
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I just crack 3 in a bowl, mix em up. Full power for 2 mins and enjoy them with hot sauce.
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Oh, cooking scrambled eggs in the microwave is a DO! Every since I discovered it could be done, I've never cooked them on the pan again! So easy, minimized cleaning, minimized frying oil, I love it!

Hungry Girl has a bunch of 'Eggs in Microwave"-recipes if you want to go all fancy, but the key points are:

Veggies/precooked meat: pop them in your mug, give them about half a minute, dap away excess moisture.

Now pop your eggs in there, mix it up, give it a minute in the microwave. Take it out, mix it up a bit more, add cheese, and give it another 30seconds.

SUPER easy and delicious!