Are you counting every bite?

Options
I am not talking a bite of cake, a piece of candy or a bite of mash potatoes.
For example this morning my husband my husband made a crustini with white bean puree, radicchio dressed in vinaigrette with skirt steak(about 2 ozs) and a poached egg on top. This is a composed smallish portion.
I only counted the steak I ate. Do and how should I count the one bite of radicchio and bite of toast with white bean puree?
I love MFP but I do find it difficult to track things that I typically eat. Very few if any meals come from a large chain or are not in the database. I found my self breaking things down by protein, carb and veg.

How do you do it?
What has been most helpful?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    If it's something I eat regularly, I add it to the database. If it's something I almost never eat, I estimate and "quick add" the calories.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    What she said.... quick add calories... I just estimate what I took a bite of
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    I am not talking a bite of cake, a piece of candy or a bite of mash potatoes.
    For example this morning my husband my husband made a crustini with white bean puree, radicchio dressed in vinaigrette with skirt steak(about 2 ozs) and a poached egg on top. This is a composed smallish portion.
    I only counted the steak I ate. Do and how should I count the one bite of radicchio and bite of toast with white bean puree?
    I love MFP but I do find it difficult to track things that I typically eat. Very few if any meals come from a large chain or are not in the database. I found my self breaking things down by protein, carb and veg.

How do you do it?
    What has been most helpful?

Thanks in advance!

So does your husband want to come over to my house and cook?
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    :happy: Damn...I am coming over to your house. That sounds delicious.
    It all depends on if you are concerned about you macro breakdown. If not, just use the "Quick add" calories.

I am interested in my macros so I would find a generic egg, slice of bread, oil, and white beans and log the smallest portion.
    I would worry about the radicchio
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    If you bite it write it.
  • guccishel
    Options
    Let me tell you, marrying a chef is not all it's cracked up to be.
    I used to eat single girl food. Soup or cereal for dinner. I gained 40 lbs over 7 years we have been together!!

Thank god everything we eat is pretty healthy, I just need to adjust portions and carbs.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    If it's literally just a bite, I try to find something close in the database - I'm sure those three ingredients will come up and I'd just call it a Tbsp of each. Anything else I create a recipe. I almost never quick-add.
  • Cath_Taylor
    Cath_Taylor Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I add the usual portion size entry for the component parts and then deduct it down to 1/8 for a bite or 1/2 or 1/4 depending how much I ate. It over estimates calories that way but that's no bad thing if I know for certain I didn't eat anywhere near the given size. The only time this is an issue is if I'm eating back calories on a big exercise day (2 hrs strength & cardio) and running short. But yes, I log everything.
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If it's just a bite, no. I don't add it.. I doubt the calories from one bite of anything are enough to make a huge difference.