I Just Found My Fitness Pal!

Options
Hello! I am 34 years old and I NEED to lose about 20 pounds. I do not want to use any "get skinny quick" schemes. And I do not want to be on a diet yoyo. I was really close to trying weight watchers so I could have an easy way to track what I was eating. Then I found MFP. I am really impressed and think this will help me stick to my goals of portion control and regular exercise. I look forward to joining the community!:happy:

Replies

• haleeyabbott
    Options
    You may add me.. :flowerforyou:
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Welcome, you seem to have a sensible approach. Good luck.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound all weird about it but I think MFP changed my life . Welcome !!
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to find a way that works for you. Weight watchers was great and really got me started some years ago. I think it is even better now but to use their new system I was not motivated to do and the "old system" was mostly book / paper based, it was simple but lacked any real degree of sophistication. I have found MFP a great tool and it integrates with other devices etc... I suggest you just stick with one system and don't try to mix / match - monitor progress and adjust eating habits / exercise observe changes but keep the measurement and monitoring system the same. Most importantly enjoy the process!
  • MsMarlaJean
    MsMarlaJean Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    MFP definitely changed my world! I :heart: it!!

Best Wishes to you! :flowerforyou:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    hiya.

when you signed up, MFP asked you how much you wanted to lose per week. With your goal, I'm hoping you selected 5.lb per week loss. It'll make it a lot more adaptable.
  • anthonymorrey
    anthonymorrey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yep its time to just do it. ive had enough. add me if you like :smile:
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    awesome that you don't want the quick fix

I recommend you go read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

and OP of the original post and the lady who re-posted this info after the first thread rolled, have an amazing group on here.. I recommend joining and spending time reading, they definitely separate the facts from the bullcrap...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! Good luck, you got this!
  • jeanbattalia
    jeanbattalia Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that you decided to join! I am looking forward to this. I think it will be really motivating and a bit of fun :smile:
  • fitgirldanyel
    fitgirldanyel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have a great attitude about weight loss and you will do well! Feel free to add me..I am on here daily! :)
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    mfp is the best! welcome.......
  • jamesalytle
    jamesalytle Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    welcome and good luck! you've made a smart choice. if you need some pals feel free to add me. I don't like to send invites to gals, don't want to give the wrong impression but i love cheering everyone on and sharing tips.
  • originallkat
    originallkat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Amy, That is so motivating! I am one week in and already feel very empowered.
  • toomanireasons
    Options
    Welcome ! Enjoy and soak up the reading and pics ! MFP is very motivational ! Add me if you like ! Have a Great Monday !!
  • hayzychick
    hayzychick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome !

Feel free to add me i love MFP , and am very close to completing my weight loss goal in under a year, feel free to add me :) xx

11078252.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • huck23
    huck23 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me welcome aboard:smile:
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I was just like you in 2011. "I just found My Fitness Pal" on June 23, 2011, when I decided to look for an app that would help me count calories. That led me to this website and the app.

And I have been logging on every day since. Since MFP counts the login day streak, I am approaching 1k days of logging in a row in two weeks.

So, it's fair to say that I'm hooked. I am so glad that it is a free resource and a great alternative to Weight Watchers (that I never tried but know that the Points system would be too convoluted and confusing for me) and other proprietary plans like Jenny Craig and Nutra System that are not designed for true long-term success.

It is much smarter and healthier to eat "normally" but learn how much to eat and the right kinds of food without being limited or restricted or feeling hungry and aiming for something sustainable for life.

I reached my goal and then some by the end of my first year anniversary - over 35 pounds - and have been in maintenance ever since. In maintenance I allow myself a five-pound range and go back into "losing mode" when I reach the top weight so it does not get out of control.

The key for me is to weigh myself daily in the morning and keep track of the fluctuations. Prior to joining this site, I avoided the scale and hadn't stepped on one in years. That's how weight can get out of control.

Keep it simple like I did and remember that LOSING WEIGHT IS FREE. This site will guide you for free. You do not need fancy gadgets and gizmos to lose weight. You do not need proprietary paid plans like Weight Watchers. You do not need gym memberships or fancy exercise equipment. You can exercise at home or outside.

All you need to pay for are good, healthy food choices.

Good luck! You can do it!