BROWN RICE HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious to if I can just cook brown rice in my rice cooker like white rice. My rice cooker does not have instructions (thrift store shopper here) I've never tried brown rice in it, but I'd think it would work right? I would imagine I just need to add more water.

You can find almost any manual on the Internet. I used to buy stuff at garage sales then is come home and download the manual. I learned to use my first espresso machine this way :).

For brown rice, use it to make rice and beans, jambalaya, served with chili or curry, or stuffing ( try cooked rice, a grated green apple, ground turkey, sage, maple syrup. Cover and bake till done.) . Brown rice holds up better than white rice in these kinds of dishes. You will eventually get used to it though.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    http://weelicious.com/2010/04/19/tex-mex-rice-cakes/

I LOVE these. Eat them at least once a week, even crave them. I cut the corn to half a cup and add half a cup of black beans. They are a little labor intensive, but I usually make 5X the recipe and freeze them, then they are super quick to defrost and grill up. I serve them with a little salsa for dipping and a southwestern salad.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am incredibly lazy. I buy ready to cook/pre cooked brown rice at Walmart. It comes in a blue package and it's about $1.25. You just tear open a corner of the package and microwave it for 60 seconds. I like it because it's very low sodium.

Then I sautee boneless skinless chicken breast chunks using a little olive oil and mrs dash lemon flavored seasoning. I make a sauce out of orange juice, powdered ginger and a little cornstarch to thicken it, then finish cooking the chicken in the sauce. Spooned over the brown rice, sometimes adding unsalted cashews, it is very yummy. It is a simplified version of a recipe on the American Heart Association web site called Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken. I don't have time to bake so I do it on top of the stove.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Every week I make a huge pot of rice with chicken and veggies. It lasts a super long time and when lunch or dinner rolls around I just grab a few scoops and heat it up in the microwave. Here is my recipe

10 cups of cooked brown rice. I use a rice cooker, that makes it much easier!
    10-12 ounces of chicken.
    1.5 bags of frozen veggies. I love the stir fry ones!
    6 large eggs, scrambled
    4 tbsp of teriyaki sauce
    .5 cup of chopped onions

I just cook the eggs first and set them aside then combine everything in a big skillet and then add the cooked rice and the egg last. Each bowl is like 250 calories, and its yummy. I use teriyaki sauce instead of soy sauce because it has a fraction of the sodium and I think it tastes better. I usually put a little extra on after I heat some up. Haven't gotten tired of it at all.
  • tammyb1995
    tammyb1995 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I saute a small chicken breast in 2 tsbs. of olive oil, when they are about done I add mushroom, onion and squash...continue to saute until chicken is done and onions are caramelized...add 2 tabs. of fat free cream of mushroom and 3/4 cups of water stir until blended well..simmer approx. 5-7 min...pour over brown rice...
  • craftycrush
    Options
    I make my brown rice as a one pot meal, I always use chicken broth to start, I cook chicken breast then stirfry vegis of choice in olive oil ( small amount) then season with garlic powder sea salt and pepper . if you use onion and celery with other vegis you need little other seasoning. Also you can omit salt and use Tony Chachere's creole or Cajun seasoning this totally takes the thought process out of supper; I also use venison and ground turkey. This gives you everything meat, vegis, and rice totally breaks the meat and potato routine. I also cook my brown rice ahead of time for a few days worth. Hope this helps as an option.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    We buy cheap generic brown rice (Best Choice) and just cook it in water. It's good, IMO. If you're really used to white rice it might be kind of a bummer at first but honestly I don't even notice anymore.

In fact, I just finished a bowl of leftover shrimp fried rice made with the brown rice (tiny bit of olive oil & low-sodium veg. soy sauce, egg, carrot, peas, onion & shrimp) and it was delicious!!

Another favorite recipe came from Pinterest - Cuban black beans with coconut rice (made with the brown rice). SO good!
  • harribeau2014
    Options
    this sounds really delicious...I'll give it a go! forgot to quote - I mean the brown rice pudding hot for breakfast!!
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious to if I can just cook brown rice in my rice cooker like white rice. My rice cooker does not have instructions (thrift store shopper here) I've never tried brown rice in it, but I'd think it would work right? I would imagine I just need to add more water.

your rice cooker will cook brown rice as any other rice, follow packaging instructions. as to the OP try eating it with marinated meat/poultry or fish, rice is rice its a blank canvass, what you eat with it changes the whole experience. curry maybe... ;P
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP,
    I'm trying to utlize brown rice more but the only way I seem to be able to make it edible is by adding chicken broth. How do you cook your brown rice?? Do you have any good recipes??

That's exactly how I cook mine. When it's done, I empty out my fridge of veggies, sauté them, and then fry up the rice. I usually eat it as a side, but add beans, and you have a perfect economical meal.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Stuffed peppers! Saute some onion and garlic, add ground turkey, season with salt, pepper, and sriracha sauce. Add 1/2 cup tomato sauce and 1/4 cup chicken broth. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add 1.5 cups cooked brown rice, mix together. Fill peppers (halved lengthwise and seeded), place in oven-safe dish with 1/2 cup broth, cover with foil, bake at 350 for 35 minutes. I usually add some skim milk mozzarella cheese at the end and broil it until the cheese is melted. Delicious!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I make fried rice also... 2 cups of veggies, a few shrimps, one egg, 100g of rice, a bit of soy sauce. Yum.
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Add chicken and hot sauce!