Ok straight answers please?

Options

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The whole calorie thing really depends on weather you are trying to lose weight or just tone up. If you want to lose weight make sure you are getting enough calories but watch the carbs. Don't over do the carbs because you are defeating your purpose. which is to build lean muscle and burn the fat. You don't make up the calories if you are trying to lose weight But do not go below 1200 calories a day. If you are happy with your weight and just want to tone then you will eat a few of the calories back and still watch the carbs and proteins so you don't over do them. It is all balance of your calories carbs fats proteins. If you are really unsure possibly talk to a trainer or a dietician.

What?...
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    The whole calorie thing really depends on weather you are trying to lose weight or just tone up. If you want to lose weight make sure you are getting enough calories but watch the carbs. Don't over do the carbs because you are defeating your purpose. which is to build lean muscle and burn the fat. You don't make up the calories if you are trying to lose weight But do not go below 1200 calories a day. If you are happy with your weight and just want to tone then you will eat a few of the calories back and still watch the carbs and proteins so you don't over do them. It is all balance of your calories carbs fats proteins. If you are really unsure possibly talk to a trainer or a dietician.

What?...

^^What he said....what?
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them, because I tend to underestimate my food intake and overestimate my calories burned.

Some people take a more accurate, scientific approach (they weigh and measure their food, they wear heart rate moniters or FitBits), but since I don't, I don't eat the calories back.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I eat every single one. Usually.

Sometimes I save them for the next day, but eventually I catch up.

I'm in maintenance mode, so I'm not as picky about going over or being under by a bit.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    The whole calorie thing really depends on weather you are trying to lose weight or just tone up. If you want to lose weight make sure you are getting enough calories but watch the carbs. Don't over do the carbs because you are defeating your purpose. which is to build lean muscle and burn the fat. You don't make up the calories if you are trying to lose weight But do not go below 1200 calories a day for low impact exercise program. If you are happy with your weight and just want to tone then you will eat a few of the calories back and still watch the carbs and proteins so you don't over do them. It is all balance of your calories carbs fats proteins. If you are really unsure possibly talk to a trainer or a dietician.

Ummm...what?
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    The whole calorie thing really depends on weather you are trying to lose weight or just tone up. If you want to lose weight make sure you are getting enough calories but watch the carbs. Don't over do the carbs because you are defeating your purpose. which is to build lean muscle and burn the fat. You don't make up the calories if you are trying to lose weight But do not go below 1200 calories a day for low impact exercise program. If you are happy with your weight and just want to tone then you will eat a few of the calories back and still watch the carbs and proteins so you don't over do them. It is all balance of your calories carbs fats proteins. If you are really unsure possibly talk to a trainer or a dietician.

No, to pretty much all of that.

MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back AND still lose weight. If you are in a calorie deficit (eating fewer calories than your body needs to maintain its current weight), then you will lose weight, and your carb intake will not "defeat the purpose".

The only part that I agree with is the suggestion to talk to a dietitian if you have no idea what you're doing.
  • dlblts
    Options
    Ok let me explain it another way. If you are overweight and you lose 3 lbs of fat in 1 week do you eat 3 lbs of fat because you lost it. Same with calories Just because you use 300 calories does not mean you eat 300 calories. If you start with 2000 calories and you burn up 1000 because you have a sedentary life style and do nothing all day do you eat 3000 calories because you burned up 1000 o f the beginning calories. No You eat less calories because your body will use up the fat it has stored for energy as long as you continue to feed the body. The trick is to eat healthy foods that are better for you with the right kinds of fats and fiber so your body will not continue to store them.
  • marinamur
    marinamur Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always eat all my calories back. Still losing weight.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Ok let me explain it another way. If you are overweight and you lose 3 lbs of fat in 1 week do you eat 3 lbs of fat because you lost it. Same with calories Just because you use 300 calories does not mean you eat 300 calories. If you start with 2000 calories and you burn up 1000 because you have a sedentary life style and do nothing all day do you eat 3000 calories because you burned up 1000 o f the beginning calories. No You eat less calories because your body will use up the fat it has stored for energy as long as you continue to feed the body. The trick is to eat healthy foods that are better for you with the right kinds of fats and fiber so your body will not continue to store them.

34hjksl.gif

Sorry to say, but you're still way off...

The calorie deficit is built in to your original goal
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

OP, please don't listen to this.
  • bajoyba
    Options

First of all, 3lbs of dietary fat does not equal 3lbs of stored fat in your body. Your body stores calories as fat when you eat more calories than your body requires to maintain its current weight.

If you are in a calorie deficit, your body will not store anything as fat.
    And the calorie goal that MFP assigns people has already taken into account their goals, personal information, and activity level and already includes the calorie deficit needed to lose weight.

If you eat that calorie goal, you will lose weight. If you add exercise, burn more calories, and eat them back, the deficit is still the same, and you will lose weight.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

First of all, 3lbs of dietary fat does not equal 3lbs of stored fat in your body. Your body stores calories as fat when you eat more calories than your body requires to maintain its current weight.

If you are in a calorie deficit, your body will not store anything as fat.
    And the calorie goal that MFP assigns people has already taken into account their goals, personal information, and activity level and already includes the calorie deficit needed to lose weight.

If you eat that calorie goal, you will lose weight. If you add exercise, burn more calories, and eat them back, the deficit is still the same, and you will lose weight.

^that
  • BillnRVA
    BillnRVA Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The calories that the elliptical machine gives you probably aren't correct, but they are much more reliable than those that MFP gives. That being said, that's an awful lot of calories burned. I would think you are feeling the effects of too few calories if you're not eating back some of those calories burned. MFP is pretty good about warning you when you're eating too few. With too few, you run the risk of damaging your body from insufficient nutrition, AND it slows down your metabolism...
  • Dlewis8288
    Dlewis8288 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ok... Well.. I don't and haven't ate all my calories back, I tried to eat about half, in case my elliptical did over estimate what I burned. I am trying very hard to lose weight, I got myself into this mess and want to get myself out in a safe healthy manor. Thank you everyone for you input! I appreciate it very much... From the looks of it, the ones that ate there's back have either lost the most, or reached their goal and are maintaining,,, lol so that helped to see too ;-)
  • Dlewis8288
    Dlewis8288 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes I was hungry today! Lol I did the elliptical for a half hour, then my treadmill, and just put in a little extra late night workout while my kids played in the basement! That's why I wanted to know how many eat theirs back, I ate healthy when I was hungry so no worries there, I can tell when my body starts feeling funky that I need something.
  • bajoyba
    Options
    And to answer the OP:

Yes, I always ate back my exercise calories. If I was unsure how accurate my burn was, I rounded down or ate a portion of them. I lost 45 pounds that way. At 45 pounds, I began including my exercise calories as part of my activity level (TDEE method), which is really just another way of eating them back. :smile:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

Strong 1st and 2nd posts :noway:

OP....I don't eat exercise calories back. Occasionally when I do a long run I will eat a bit back, but only because of the fact that it's an endurance workout. I personally find there too be too little room for error when estimating calories burned, especially if you are lifting. I use my body as a guide and if I need a little extra, then I'll eat a little extra. This is what has worked for ME though. I know there are people that are adamant about eating them back and have had success. I will also say that I have my goal set to 1/2 lb per week to lose so my deficit is not super aggressive. Do what works for you, but I will caution you to be very careful with how many calories burned you log. 900 is an awful lot in an hour and overestimating could completely stop any progress you may see. And that's also not accounting for any errors in logging, weighing, measuring, etc.

Good luck!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i lost my first 30 pounds eating back all my exercise calories. for the next 30 i plan on doing the same.

the main reason for that is that i have tough workouts ( weight lifting, plyometrics, running) and there's absolutely no way i'd be able to do those, eat at a deficit and not eat my calories back
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Yes I was hungry today! Lol I did the elliptical for a half hour, then my treadmill, and just put in a little extra late night workout while my kids played in the basement! That's why I wanted to know how many eat theirs back, I ate healthy when I was hungry so no worries there, I can tell when my body starts feeling funky that I need something.

You probably aren't burning 900 calories using an elliptical for 30 minutes. I don't know your size, but if this helps put it in perspective for you......I'm a 5'6, 118lb female and in 30 minutes I burn about 150-175 on the elliptical...if I'm lucky. (calorie burn via HRM) So don't eat back what your elliptical tells you you're burning. Cut it in half, if not more.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    900 is possibly an overestimate.
    I burn just over 600 calories in an hour on the elliptical (using Polar ft4) at 138Ibs. In fact, I burnt around the same at 126 Ibs as well.
    It takes me around 1 hour and 50 minutes of exercise to burn 900 calories. Intense exercise.