Is there anybody who is a lost cause?

Options
I'm asking about myself here of course just to clarify. I feel like I am never going to lose weight and cannot seem to lose weight or inches at all. No, I have not committed to anything for years or anything like that. I'm hopeful but at the same time doubtful because of my past experiences. Has anyone else struggled with this? Am I just meant to be a certain size?

Replies

• wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    No. I'm a firm believer in the quote, "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." I tried to lose weight all through high school, exercising and eating less, and always failed, because, like you, I never stuck to anything long enough to see progress. The reason I was able to finally lose the weight was because I joined MFP, set reasonable weight loss goals, and set my exercise/food goals at something I could easily accomplish.
    I started out by just making sure I was under my calories most days, then I started exercising by doing Pilates 5 minutes a day 3 days a week (pathetic, right? but I knew that I hated getting sweaty and taking a lot of time to do workouts, so I started very small). 6 months later, I reached my weight loss goal and now exercise 15 minutes a day 4 times a week. I do what I know I can do. If I set out to exercise 1 hour a day 5 days a week, I would undoubtedly fail. You have to know yourself and be reasonable with your expectations.

I don't believe anyone is destined to be a certain way, if you want it bad enough and truly believe it is possible, you will succeed.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    No, you're not just meant to be a certain size, barring some sort of thyroid or metabolic issue, you are in complete control of your size. If you're willing to eat the way you should eat and do a little work in the gym then you can have your ideal body. It's entirely in your control.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You can totally lose weight. Probably all of us have felt the same way you do when we started due to previous failures (almost everyone has tried to lose weight at least once before and failed, which is why we are here!). But yes you can! The first days the thoughts "this is impossible I can't do this!" kept coming to my mind, but forget about it, and even though you think you can't JUST DO IT. When you start seeing that you lose the weight you'll want to continue and then it's just like you are going in auto pilot, and it's all for the best.

Wish you success in your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • Jess732008
    Jess732008 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm asking about myself here of course just to clarify. I feel like I am never going to lose weight and cannot seem to lose weight or inches at all. No, I have not committed to anything for years or anything like that. I'm hopeful but at the same time doubtful because of my past experiences. Has anyone else struggled with this? Am I just meant to be a certain size?

I have been tempted to think this a times. Most of my life I thought it was impossible for me to lose weight. Just the past few years I have started trying. I am trying ot just do what I can do when I can do it and make being healthy easier. For example, it has been easier to start eating healthier and try to keep healthy foods in the house. I just got a recumbent bike that has helped me so much in the exercise department. I can use it at home without feeling embarassed at a gym. The weight loss part is the hardest, but making small changes as I want to should help me and my family be healthy.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I used to think that. But in my line of work, I know or hear from a lot of entrepreneurs and successful business people. They all discuss the many failures they had before achieving success. I started to think of my weight loss in the same light. Failures happen. And that is where the wisdom comes from. You learn what works and what doesn't and you can retool your plan accordingly. It isn't easy. Life's greatest accomplishments rarely are. You just have to accept that adversity is part of the process and decide how you want to deal with it. It can either defeat you or drive you forward. Let it drive you. You can do it!
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    "There is no such thing as Failures. Previous attempts are just learning paths to your ultimate success." This is a little quote I remembered from some where. I remember this quote when I feel I am slipping in to victim mode. So I never really failed before, I was just trying out what works and what doesn't for me. I then write done where were my pit falls and successes and used that information build on my ultimate success - one day at a time.
    Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Do not give up - regroup. You and your boys are worth it. Take care of yourself and reach out for help. Build a network of people who have your back. There will be setbacks but you are not a lost cause.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    You can do this! And you don't have to do anything extreme, either. Here are two of the most positive links you could read on the subject - both advocating small steps.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I *do* have thyroid issues & some other medical hoo-ha going on, yet my ticker progress? That's just ~75 days

You're not a lost cause, and you can do this :flowerforyou:
  • JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options
    The only person who is a lost cause is the one who refuses to try. The person who is drowning because they refuse to even try to swim. That is NOT you. As long as you are trying you are NOT a lost cause. You can do this. It isn't easy, but you can do it.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    No. If you want it you will do it if you dont you wont! You wanna know how many times I told myself " I have done everything, I just cant lose weight" Low and behold when I was ready I lost it! Its all in the mind, how bad you want it?!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. It feels like no matter what I do I come back to the same thing. That was about 3 1/2 years ago before joining here. I had been on several "diets" and thought I was eating "healthy" and kept gaining as soon as I got off the "diet". I had to stop the "diet" mentality. I just started logging to see how it worked. After a week I was in shock at how many calories I was actually eating. I look a it as a lifestyle change now. This is the new and improved me and I am getting better every day. I only lost about 40 pound in 3 1/2 years but I am not going to let it come back on and I am not don living yet.