Ok straight answers please?

Options
13»

Replies

• chelleb1974
    chelleb1974 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Basically, yes, I think you should eat them back if you're using MFP method. If after a while you find you're not losing enough, you could always scale back and try eating something like 75% or 50% of what you burned. I know several people who do that.

This is what I was going to offer. This is what I am doing. So far I'm able to eat back all of MFPs exercise calories and am losing. If I stall, then the plan is to reduce them as described above.

~Chelle
  • Dlewis8288
    Dlewis8288 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes I was hungry today! Lol I did the elliptical for a half hour, then my treadmill, and just put in a little extra late night workout while my kids played in the basement! That's why I wanted to know how many eat theirs back, I ate healthy when I was hungry so no worries there, I can tell when my body starts feeling funky that I need something.

You probably aren't burning 900 calories using an elliptical for 30 minutes. I don't know your size, but if this helps put it in perspective for you......I'm a 5'6, 118lb female and in 30 minutes I burn about 150-175 on the elliptical...if I'm lucky. (calorie burn via HRM) So don't eat back what your elliptical tells you you're burning. Cut it in half, if not more.
  • Dlewis8288
    Dlewis8288 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lol no way did I burn that in 30 minutes!! Lol I burned like 430 in 35 or something like that , then walked on my treadmill for 20 minutes, THEN later tonight I got back on for another half hour, then walked the treadmill again.I also adjust my resistance to make it a little harder,,, I'm well aware it could be over estimating my calories...
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Neither. That is to say, I make no particular effort either way. I eat if and when I'm hungry. If I'm not, then I don't, regardless of whether I exercised that day or not. So sometimes I eat my exercise calories, sometimes I don't, and sometimes I eat just some of them.

If you're not hungry, don't force yourself to eat. This kind of attitude-- not paying attention to your body signals-- is a big reason how overweight people got overweight in the first place.

Plus, a lot of people (most?) over estimate the calories burned through exercise and use it to justify over indulging.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I use my TDEE which already included activity. I'm also anal about weighing my solid food and measuring liquids. Now that I've said that I do put in some massive burns via my hrm so I still track my exercise and eat at least enough to match my BMR.

I've been at this for awhile so I have a good idea of what my numbers are as far as BMR and TDEE. But comparing with MFP, the two methods are within 100 calories if I ate the exercise calories back. So even if I were using MFP as it is designed I would eat my exercise calories back. This is more important when you burn more calories because your body needs the additional fuel.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Unless your doctor is familiar with the MFP plan, I doubt your going to get a relevant answer. If you're following the MFP plan as designed, then you eat back those calories. If you are following some other plan, but just using this site as a food journal, then you may or may not. I do eat most of them back. Works fine for me.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I do not typically eat back my exercise calories but I do eat a healthy amount. My daily caloric intake is around 1800 then I burn 500-600 each day so my net is still around 1200.