Struggling

Options
I've really been off my game for the last month and if I don't get back on, I'm going to give up! Here's my story - i had surgery a month ago and wasn't able to eat the best or exercise for a couple weeks. Well, a couple weeks turned into a month and I'm still struggling! I'll be good for a number of days and then I'll just binge on food. It's an out of body experience and I just tell myself that it's only one day and I'll be better tomorrow so I should just enjoy it and eat everything in sight! It's so disgusting.

My concern is, I've been eating every 3 hours to keep my metabolism up and I'm worried it's backfiring because now I'm just hungry all the time, now that my body is used to that, so at night I'll just start eating and not stop! :sad:

My other concern is, I'm pretty much given the bare minimum # of allowed calories, 1240, so I can barely eat anything in my day and when I exercise I only get less than 200 per hour unfortunately so I'm worried that I'm not eating enough for my body and it's making me feel the need to eat to "catch up" on missing food/nutrients. I take a multivitamin, calcium, and fish oil pill daily to keep up with nutrients. What could my problem be?? Is it just a total lack of self control or is this my body's way of telling me I'm not supposed to loose those extra pounds so it's going to do it's best to sabotage everything?! This was so easy in the beginning (when you'd think it'd be hardest) and now I'm barely making it day to day.

What do I do?!?! I need your help! :ohwell:

Replies

• nik433
    nik433 Posts: 57
    Options
    I've really been off my game for the last month and if I don't get back on, I'm going to give up! Here's my story - i had surgery a month ago and wasn't able to eat the best or exercise for a couple weeks. Well, a couple weeks turned into a month and I'm still struggling! I'll be good for a number of days and then I'll just binge on food. It's an out of body experience and I just tell myself that it's only one day and I'll be better tomorrow so I should just enjoy it and eat everything in sight! It's so disgusting.

My concern is, I've been eating every 3 hours to keep my metabolism up and I'm worried it's backfiring because now I'm just hungry all the time, now that my body is used to that, so at night I'll just start eating and not stop! :sad:

My other concern is, I'm pretty much given the bare minimum # of allowed calories, 1240, so I can barely eat anything in my day and when I exercise I only get less than 200 per hour unfortunately so I'm worried that I'm not eating enough for my body and it's making me feel the need to eat to "catch up" on missing food/nutrients. I take a multivitamin, calcium, and fish oil pill daily to keep up with nutrients. What could my problem be?? Is it just a total lack of self control or is this my body's way of telling me I'm not supposed to loose those extra pounds so it's going to do it's best to sabotage everything?! This was so easy in the beginning (when you'd think it'd be hardest) and now I'm barely making it day to day.

What do I do?!?! I need your help! :ohwell:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    1240 calories is not enough for you--that is probably why you're hungry.

Given your age, weight, and small amount you wish to lose, you should be looking at 1400 to 1500 or more a day and trying for a much slower rate of loss--1/2 pound a week max

Please read this post below and it will help you understand this--

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20035-just-because-you-can-have-a-2-pound-per-week-goal?

In addition, is possible that you might not need to lose any more at all? Maybe just "tone" what you've tone through light weight training.
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    x2 what shorerider said....

Maybe your body is where it wants to be, you are only 8 lbs from your goal. I eat about 5 - 6x a day small meals. Maybe change your diet around a bit?
  • nik433
    Options
    Yeah, that's all good advice. I'm really trying to eat healthy, cut out many processed things, incorporate all the food groups but I am in a food rut and do tend to eat the same things each day. :ohwell:

I was worried my body would call the weight loss quits before I was ready. I am working hard at toning things but, for example, my stomach has abs hidden under a layer of fat still and I feel like unless I can loose that, you'll never even see the toning! You're right though, I should probably give my poor body a break and go for 1/2 pound per week now. I'm still such a part of the instant gratification generation! :laugh:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    Hey, I agree with Shore...you probably customize your goals.
    I had to do that the other day, but I didn't go nuts with it.

Also, it's ok to be hungry, especially if your body has been trained to eat at certain times. The eating out of control may be something not even food related. I mean could you be bored, worried, stressed, etc.
    Maybe do some reflection and see if there is something else bothering you.

Of course, your body may be done for a bit or need a break or simply is under fed. Tweak a few things around and see if you get a jump....whether it's more exercise or more food.

Lastly, keep up toning work. The more muscle you have the smoother your appearance will become and the ability to burn more fat.
  • nik433
    Options
    Well I tweaked my goals a little to loose a 1/2 pound a week instead of 1 pound and put in less total pounds needed to loose. I was almost 4 pounds lighter before my surgery so i just want to get back to that place because i know i can! hopefully this will work!

thanks everyone for your advice! :flowerforyou: