Metabolic Damage?

Options
Hi All,

I am hoping to get a little bit of advice on the subject.
7 years back i lost a lot of weight using weight watchers, at the time it was more of a portion control issue which was quickly fixed with WW i lost 20Kg is 2 years. However later due to stress, anxiety and depression i gained everything back in the space of 6 motnhs despite eating the same amount of food and exercising the same, it has now been 3 years and i can't seem to budge the weight, it sticks to a certain range i did lose some again during a soup, juice and salad diet but later couldnt eat normal food without my mild IBS flaring up. I spoke to a PT yesterday who feels i have probably got some metabolic damage from the dieting and stress and also to ditch cardio and hit the weights, I've looked around and researched, could the stress and depression episode have been the start of my downward spiral to "metabolic damage" what do i do to reverse or heal this?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If the dieting & weight loss was 7 years ago and at a sensible rate as you suggest then I doubt there is any lasting effect from that.

"Metabolic damage" appears to be the new "Starvation mode" so I wouldn't pay much attention to that. The stress and medical issues may be part of your weight gain for sure, but I don't see how lifting weights (or cardio) help with that either.

An open diary would help, and tellus how much you're eating and what your current & goal weights are, height age etc.
  • rhirani31
    rhirani31 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, in calories at the moment i am having 1200!
    Weight is currently 87Kgs and goal is 75Kgs height is 5 ft 7 and i am 26!

appreciate any advice.
  • yarwell
    Options
    Your resting metabolic rate on the standard equations would be about 1600 calories a day. On top of that you have activity & exercise. So eating in that 1200 - 1600 area should guarantee a calorie deficit. Even if you were 20% below prediction you would have a deficit eating 1200.

What's your calorie breakdown % protein / carbs / fat and how many calories did the soup etc diet add up to ?
  • rhirani31
    Options
    at the moment it is 20% Carbs..(which cant be good) 3.6% Protein, 3.8% fat? atleast i think i've calculated that correctly , calories in the juice diet were no more than a 1000, all natural foods nothing processed.
  • yarwell
    Options
    at the moment it is 20% Carbs..(which cant be good) 3.6% Protein, 3.8% fat? atleast i think i've calculated that correctly , calories in the juice diet were no more than a 1000, all natural foods nothing processed.

20% carbs worked well in a group of Swedes in a clinical study. It needs to add up to 100 so perhaps you meant 20 36 38 which is close to 100. If so, that's a good basis to work on with high protein.
  • rhirani31
    Options
    Thanks yarwell! I am trying adjust a few things to see what works best but etting nowhere in 3 years is getting frustrating!