Results with heavy lifting vs. circuit training

Options
I'm near my goal weight but not fit. I've joined a gym and I'm trying to decide what kind of program to embark on. The gym has a lot of classes that use some form of resistance training (Bodypump, Athletic Conditioning, Barre, etc.) and I'm wondering if I should do classes or just start a basic weight lifting program. I usually push myself harder in a class than by myself, but I also want to get stronger and look fit while losing some body fat. I'm wondering what results people have had with each approach and if they have any weight lifting program suggestions if that is route they prefer.

I'm a 32 old female with about 10 lbs to lose.

Replies

• RomesMommy
    RomesMommy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did 2 cycles of the Jamie Eason LiveFit trainer with great success about a year ago and have since fell in love with weight lifting.
    Check out the program at http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html and follow me on Instagram @absafterbaby Facebook www.facebook.com/absafterbaby or here RomesMommy if you have any questions feel free to contact me. Best of luck. The first step is the toughest. :)
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting absolutely
  • rjmelton
    rjmelton Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Why not cycle the two? Do a month of heavy lifting and a month of circuit. They will feed off each other and you won't get bored.
  • CDogg17
    Options
    If you have access to or can afford a trainer, I highly recommend it! I'm 45 with about 25 to 30 pounds to lose and I'm just finishing up week 6 with my trainer. I've lost 10 pounds, but my body looks like I've lost more. I LOVE IT! I go Tuesdays and Fridays and we alternate between heavy lifting and conditioning (circuits). On off days, I walk, jog, elliptical, calisthenic circuit, etc., anything to make me move.
    I've learned how to lift, when to life, push/pull theory, when to go up in weight, some amazing circuits. When my sessions are done, I will be confident going into the gym by myself and working out. I personally LOVE lifting weights and the circuits are brutal, but so satisfying.
    Again, if you can - get a trainer! Best decision I ever made regarding fitness.