**Calling all Vegetarians**

Options
I first joined MFP in April 2010 and was active for about a year. While trying to reconnect, I realized my username and password have both taken flight to another galaxy, so I've had to rejoin under a new name. Right now, I'm interested to know if anyone has switched, or is currently making the switch, to a plant-based diet. I'm quite interested in hearing about how this transition is working for others. I'm still in the exploratory stage, but it's looking pretty good, so far!

Replies

• AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I made the switch over the course of a year or so, mainly because my two oldest kids became veg while at college. I began experimenting when they came home for weekends & holidays. I tried new recipes for meatless Monday, then planned meat-free meals two or three days a week, then three or four days, etc. Eventually I noticed I was only eating meat once or twice a week & I didn't think I would miss cutting it out altogether. After 4 1/2 years I can honestly say I don't miss/crave meat at all, in fact it repulses me to smell raw or cooking meat- even bacon. I think maybe because it was such a gradual change it has been very easy to maintain. I've cut way back on cheese & dairy, and eat many vegan meals, but I don't think I'll ever be 100% vegan. I have two teenagers still at home - one is vegetarian & the other eats meat when she feels like it (we don't pressure them either way). My husband eats meat when he wants to, but I only cook vegetarian meals at home for everyone & it works great.

Best of luck to you!
  • laleonadr
    laleonadr Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!

So this is probably my 3rd time trying to be a vegetarian and I think I will be for good this time around. Each time I learned something different (like taking my vitamins, there are so many great recipes out there, and making sure I take in enough protein). So far things have been going well - I feel more energy and I am more satisfied with my meals. I am still exploring different ingredients and such in the kitchen, but the process has been great this time around =)

I have removed meat from my diet without an issue. I still consume some dairy products (yogurt/ice cream). I do not eat eggs, but I do eat things that may contain eggs. I am trying to ween myself from dairy and eggs, but not sure if I am committed to doing that yet lol

Many of the dishes from my country (dominican republic) can be made vegetarian or are already vegetarian friendly so for me, it has not been too bad of a transition. I find myself cooking more, but that's never a bad thing!

Anyways - hope it works out for you!
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Hey :)
    When I went vegetarian I was told I was going to fall apart, and it won't last long, and I'd grow out of it. It's been more than 15 years since then and none of those things happened (of course it happened again when I went vegan - so far so good). For me quitting meat wasn't difficult really, and quickly enough you don't miss it. Why do you want to go vegetarian?
    Anyway, I've been vegetarian most of my life, and now vegan, and I very rarely get sick and my tests are all good. Every diet should be planned responsibly.
  • dawnari
    dawnari Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also took time to transition to being vegetarian - about six months. I started with cutting out red meat and pork (wasn't that hard for me really, I was never a huge fan), and then chicken (that was harder, mostly because I didn't know what else to make). Never liked or ate fish to start with. I chose to go vegetarian for moral reasons, but it was still a bit of a hurdle for me to get over in terms of family acceptance (oh the ridiculing I had to endure, the endless explaining and defending! They eventually got over it.), and relearning how to cook. I would actually say that going vegetarian forced me to learn how to REALLY cook :)

At no point have I ever missed or had cravings for meat; in fact, like Alecia, I find the smell disgusting now (it just smells dead and rotting, blech), however, I have no problems with people eating meat around me. To each their own, I say. I have been vegetarian for 14 years now, and was fully vegan for at least 3 of those, although I am not currently vegan. Both of my children have been vegetarian since birth.

My best piece of advice on this is to realize that a vegetarian diet does not automatically equal a healthy diet. You can live on soda and french fries and call yourself vegan, technically. Learn how to put meals together from real, whole foods first. "Meat substitutes" (I immensely dislike that whole marketing angle) can be tasty (just don't expect it to be like meat!) and a good source of concentrated vegetarian protein, but can actually be very limiting to your culinary creativity which in turn can hamper learning what a healthy well-balanced vegetarian diet is like.

Good luck!
  • julieshul
    julieshul Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for more than half my life now (I am 26, and first became veg at 13). I was even vegan for 7 years (long story about why I now eat some eggs and dairy).

Would love to support anyone who is struggling with it, so friend me. I have a million great recipes (and love to cook) and have helped lots of friends through the transition.

This is my first time using MFP (I've had an account forever, but have been using LoseIt primarily), so any help on that front would be appreciated, too!

-Juliana
  • LaurDavies
    LaurDavies Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a search for all sorts of information relating to vegetarian/vegan diets and health, and I found a lot of this very interesting!

Over the past six months I've gradually been going off meat, as I find that I'm becoming more and more aware that it's flesh, and simply not enjoying eating it. I've also found I feel incredibly bloated and sluggish if I've had heavily meat-based dishes.
    I've been trying out various quorn recipes for the meat dishes that I do really enjoy, and last night I made a vegan curry which was so delicious, filling and healthy that it's really spurred me on to try more things.

I'm very keen to start experimenting more with veggie/vegan food, and to gradually start cutting out various meats - not only because of my new dislike for some meats, but also for the health benefits. There are a few types of meat that I do still enjoy on a rare occasion, so I don't think I will be 100% vegetarian, but I'm keen for any encouragement and tips to really get the most out of a change in diet! :)
  • sullenbee
    sullenbee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm working towards it. I haven't cut out meat completely, but most of my diet is plant based, and I've been working on cutting out dairy. (Though I haven't cut out eggs yet, and I limit cheese to maybe once a week) I do have a formerly vegan friend who just turned to eating fish and eggs, because she had a bad fall and broke her wrist and hip. (So I'm still formulating in my head if I want to eventually transition to being completely vegan) I've been using my time to experiment with food, cook more, and work towards being healthier without animals in my diet. I do know plenty of vegetarians who eat nothing but processed crap, and aren't healthy at all.

The one thing that holds me back is the idea of travel, seeing the world and limiting myself so much. I do love food, and I want to be able to enjoy all types of food with all types of people. So I'm torn. Either way though, I figure cutting out meat during my day to day normal life is at least helping in some way.
  • HW_6
    HW_6 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about 6 years now, but I can still remember how it was when I first decided to cut out meat. I was in college and still living with my meat-eating family, so I did have to cook all my own meals separately - but I enjoy cooking so I didn't mind that. Over the years I've found that it's surprisingly easy to find veggie alternatives to most 'regular' meals - spaghetti bolognaise, shepherd's pie, chilli con carne, etc can all be made just as well with Quorn mince, and things like curries can be made either with Quorn pieces or just with veg - I found potatoes work very well as the bulk of a curry. Even things like roast dinners/Sunday lunch have been fine - you can get all sorts of nut roasts or Quorn roasts, as well as other interesting things like risotto bakes which serve as the main part of a roast dinner.

As for traveling abroad, it can be pretty difficult in some countries, because not every culture has vegetarianism as a common diet. If travel is important for you, I think it will all come down to your personal reasons for going veggie in the first place - if you're doing it purely for dietary reasons, I don't see a problem with you eating meat/fish when you're traveling. However, if you're doing it for moral or environmental reasons (eg. you're against the way most animals are treated when they're bread for meat), then you're probably going to have to compromise. Having said all that, I've been to South Africa, Thailand, and Tenerife since turning veggie and I don't feel I missed out too much. I actually found (in Tenerife) some restaurants were happy to come up with meat-free dishes when I explained my diet to them (in rather bad Spanish).
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    What's up ^__^

I was a vegetarian for 5 years, just recently made the switch to vegan. So far it has been an adventure, there's milk in EVERYTHING wow >__>

Feel free to add me :)
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I had ben vegetarian and then vegan, then started 2 months ago to eat dairy, and chicken and fish..I feel awful and I am trying to get back but, I am having a hard time with it. Anyone experience this? any support would be appreciated. thanks
  • cheetaprint23435676
    cheetaprint23435676 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've been vegetarian for about 2 and a half years now. It started when I found out that Jenna Marbles ate mostly vegan xD Now I eat like 90% vegan, because cheese pizza is good and healthy every now and then. :)
  • VeggieGal777
    VeggieGal777 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome back
    I have been meat free all my life!
  • TheHeathBar
    TheHeathBar Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm transitioning my household towards vegetarian right now. I'd say my biggest hurdle is probably cost and variety. I end up eating a lot of brown rice and beans because it's cheap and easy. I'm having rice and beans for dinner tonight lol. I feel so much better when I eat veg, both physically and as an animal/general earth lover. I still usually end up eating meat about twice a week, but I'm hoping to scale that back to twice a month and then eliminate it all together eventually. I'm not sure that I could ever give up milk and eggs, though. I do try to get them directly from a farmer that I know cares for their animals properly (not possible with milk in my state anymore) or I spend the extra money for the organic free range kind.
  • mcr_1997
    mcr_1997 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've been a vegetarian for about a year now, but only about a month ago I stopped eating fish. So I am completely 100% a true vegetarian now and I love it!! Maybe when I'm older I will become a vegan, but for right now I am content on being a vegetarian, and I recommend the veggie lifestyle to anyone:) I can't tell you how great it is knowing I'm not harming any animals by eating them or contributing to buying meat. Good luck:)
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Aedreana here, vegan since 1971 but for ethical not health reasons. I do not cook except to fry potatoes, do not worry about nutrition, do not exercise and I smoke cigarettes. It is purely because I love animals!
  • Eloira
    Eloira Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome back :) I've been vegetarian since I was 10 (13years), and I can remember the transition clearly.
    I started by cutting red meats out (wisn't a big fan anyway) then I cut the chicken and fish out after a few months. I didn't crave anything at all. It's only recently I started craving things like nuggets and meatballs so I've upped the protein intake and the cravings have gone.
    You can do it if you really want to, like others I done it for ethical and "aawww I can't eat those lambs and piglets they're my fwiends".
    If you do, make sure you get the other source of protein ^_^ and best of luck!! Xx
  • bleedingdesu
    bleedingdesu Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for four years now. My transition was super easy. I stopped eating all meat but fish, then a month later cut out fish.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i've been a vegetarian since january, 1994 -not my first time being a vegetarian, but the one that stuck. the reason was probably because i used some meatlike veggie stuff in my diet. the first time i went veg, an arby's sandwich seduced me back to meat. in 1994, they used to have faux roast beef that was amazing, and it got me over the hard part. my meat eating relatives sometimes join me in a faux turkey for thanksgiving, and my son - a bigtime meat eater - now eats morningstar farms sausage for breakfast. my husband went veggie about a year after he and i got together.

keep in mind that potatoes, bread, oatmeal are all vegetarian, as is pasta, so there's a lot of easy, inexpensive veggie options - and since you do dairy, that means parmesean on your pasta :D
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm a faux vegetarian. Two years and counting.I'm pescatarian ......though thinking about moving to the other side:wink: