Not losing weight

Options
Ok for 4 days now i have eaten oats in the morning, soup in the day and salad in the evening. I seem to have lost no weight but have lost a couple of inches. How can this happen, it's not muscle gain as i have done no exercise

Replies

• martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    First, it doesn't matter if you eat chicken breast all day long, if you don't track calories and end up going over your daily allowance you WILL gain weight, so having said that, make sure you track your calories.

2nd - Was the soup from a can or home-made? If it was canned maybe it was extremely high in sodium and your holding water weight. The same goes for oatmeal. If you were previously on a low carb crap diet, and eat carbs again, you will build glycogen back up which spikes weight for a few days but it levels off.

3rd - I recommend exercise..... Walking, running, elliptical, weight-training. It will help you not be "skinny-fat" when you get down to your desired weight.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see the diary anyone is just guessing at best. As general Starter advice You need to figure out your TDEE and BMR . TDEE is your number of calories needed to maintain current weight. In general 1000 calories less a day will lose 2 pounds 500 less 1 pound. From a standpoint of counting calories you really need to log everything and do it by weights not measurements as measurements are frequently off. And drink a lot of water - that will flush out the water you are retaining and give you some early bigger losses. Log your exercise and Eat back calories gained through ecercise (I eat about half those since measurement is iff at best) . But these are generalities as I said, no-one can tell you otherwise without seeing your diary
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Well, I've never seen anyone complain about not losing weight for anything less than a week before. Patience! Weight loss takes time, 4 days isn't a good indicator of anything, really. And as the first poster said, what you eat doesn't determine whether you lose weight, how many calories you eat does.
  • Craig2143
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, i have had both types of soup. I am 16.7 stone at the moment i am going away next weekend and just trying to look a little skinnier before i go. I don't feel hungry and i am having more soup than salad. I have gone from eating once a day to eating three times a day, i just find it strange i am losing inches from my waist which is great but i just weight the same
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    come back and post after 2 weeks of your progress.
    4 days is nothing you cant draw conclusions about how something is or is not working for you in 4 days.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    i am losing inches from my waist which is great but i just weight the same

So here's what's happening. You used to eat enough calories to maintain your 233 pounds. Let's say that's 2300 calories per day. So every day you have 2300 calories worth of food in your belly. LITERALLY you have a day's worth of food sitting in your digestive tract. For the past 4 days, you've only eaten, let's say, 1000 calories. That is PHYSICALLY less volume of food. Your stomach is smaller because you LITERALLY have less volume of food in your gut at the moment processing. Every day there's 1200 calorie's worth of food volume LESS in your belly. That's why your stomach is smaller at the moment than it was 4 days ago.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Salads can have a lot of calories.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You expect to lose enough weight that it will be visible by next weekend? You might eat nothing for the next days, and then get laxatives on top, and the only visible difference will be you will look terribly ill. Weight loss that becomes obvious in a few days, it does not exist, unless you plan to surgically remove some body fat. But still you will not look that great by next weekend...
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i dont think you've lost inches from your waist in 4 days. perhaps you went to the bathroom.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Salads can have a lot of calories.

Only if you smother them in dressings surely?

I am talking about just the veg / plant part, not fish, meat etc regarding salad
  • Craig2143
    Options
    I have gone from a size 36 to a size 34 in a few days so i am happy about that anyway i did do a 10 mile walk 2 days ago. I know its not healthy and i will start to do more exercise and eat better but i just find it so hard to stay motivated.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with a 10 mile walk (Walking is my primary exercise and I will be walking a half marathon in May - 13 miles) if you don't stretch and exercise regularly though 10 miles may be a push for a start
    36-34 in a couple of days is odd and likely it's partially measurement error (you need to measure the exact same spot under the same conditions for it to be valid, tailors have trouble being that consistent so self measuring is doubly hard
  • Craig2143
    Options
    I haven't measured myself its just in the last couple of days my jeans are really hanging on me and that makes a change
  • Craig2143
    Options
    Sorry i have just realised its been 6 days not 4. I am loosing track of days
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have gone from a size 36 to a size 34 in a few days so i am happy about that anyway i did do a 10 mile walk 2 days ago. I know its not healthy and i will start to do more exercise and eat better but i just find it so hard to stay motivated.

Perhaps your not eating enough calories. Oats, soup, and salad dont seem to be enough food to hit your calorie goals but I guess it could be possible with unhealthy salads. However your motivation could be the fact that you are eating boring stuff. Eat whatever you want, try to keep it healthier, and keep it within your calories. And make sure you are eating all your calories so your body doesnt go into starvation mode, bc then it will hold onto the weight. 4 days is not enough time to see results no matter how healthy you eat. Just stay focused and eat something more yummy than salads.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Sorry i have just realised its been 6 days not 4. I am loosing track of days

That's still not enough time to tell anything.

Weight loss isn't linear - some weeks we lose, some we stay the same, some we gain. You really need to wait a few weeks before worrying if you haven't lost any weight.
  • martinpaul272
    Options
    I've had this same problem. Mainly it comes down to counting calories like some others have said. Different things work for different people and I was lucky enough to find one that worked for me. I lost 18 pounds in one month without much exercise and it's been a life changer. I'm a little embarrassed to post my before and after photos here but if anyone actually cares to hear what I've been doing then I'd be happy to help in any way. Just shoot me an email at martinpaul272[at]gmail.com and I'll show you my before and after photos, and tell you about how things are going for me with the stuff I've tried. I wish someone would have helped me out when I was struggling to find a solution so if I can help you then it would make my day.