Walking?

Options
Anyone else trying to lose weight purely through walking? I know the importance of lifting weights but my hearts just not in to it recently so I'm getting my calories burnt through walking at least 10'000 steps a day, so I am still getting the same calorie burn as intense cardio just takes up more time with walking.

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Walking is absolutely fantastic for weight loss, especially if done after an over night fast before breakkie. However, the benefit of it is going to be very slow, especially if you haven't much to lose in the first place.

Swapping car/ public transport for walking is always a good thing. As is just moving more in general. We weren't designed to be sitting on chairs all day.

However it does all depend on your goals, walking more wont make you super fit, it'll just make you better at walking and a bit fitter.
  • janetrobison
    janetrobison Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I walk on my treadmill and put it on an incline for a pretty good workout. It has been helping me.
  • RamonaMoon
    RamonaMoon Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Although I haven't done it myself, my sister had great success losing weight through walking ad watching her diet. she did eventually turn to other exercise too but for the first year she dropped a couple of stone through walking.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have done this in the past and known others with great success. The most important thing is that you are moving, walking at pace and making sure of posture is best.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I walk, I use the Walk Away the Pounds DVD's and anyone who says you aren't getting a workout by walking needs to do her 3 mile super fat burner!

For me walking is something I can do anytime, any place, in any weather! I can go outside and walk if the weather is good and not too hot or I can walk right in my home to one of the Walk Away DVD's...
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I walk on my treadmill and put it on an incline for a pretty good workout. It has been helping me.

This. I have been pretty peeved off lately because I am recovering from surgery and am unable to lift heavy, run, swim, etc. like I used to for a couple weeks. Walking on the treadmill with a 5-7% incline is really helping me burn calories.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    If walking is your exercise just keep doing it. It takes longer to use the total exercise calories BUT if you are walking in a park or countryside you will have the benefits of taking in more of your surroundings. For those for whom the only place is the local streets, you may well meet new people neighbours you have not yet met. Were you running or on a treadmill that opportunity is not there.

Do what makes you feel good
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    That's how I lost all my weight, watching calories and walking. I have recently started trying a bit of strength as I would like to tone up and try and sort out the mum tum lol

Also, have you tried the walking excercises on YouTube, they are great for when the weather isn't great, which is a lot just now in sunny Scotland lol
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is 80% what you put in your mouth. Walking is great for you and even though it won't burn as many calories as weight lifting or more intense cardio, it won't stop you from losing weight. There are lots of ways to lose weight and you have to do what works for you!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Walking is my main form of exercise, though I have no idea why doing so in a fasted state would have any impact on its usefulness as a weight loss tool.

Weight loss comes from caloric deficit. Walking burns calories. That seems simple enough.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My weight loss started with a resolution to always take a walk on a nice day. I now walk an average of 25-30 miles a week at a good pace (4 mph or better), plus I typically hike several miles on the weekends which I don't count in that total. Walking consumes more time than running for a similar calorie burn, BUT it's lower impact and much easier on my middle-aged joints. Walking helped me maintain a calorie deficit (I counted calories and still do), and drop 101 lbs in about 18 months.

Sometimes people get so caught up in "what exercise is best" nonsense that they forget that the main point is to just get moving.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I do alot of walking (+ swimming) and it can tone you up and be a real workout--just speed up your pace and, or go to a hilly zone. If you always do the same route, time yourself and then the next day try to do it a little faster.

Also walking--fast and slow--is listed in excercise on MFP.
  • Steph7x
    Steph7x Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much for your help!
    I'm definitely one of them who constantly worries if I'm doing enough or the right exercise, I normally enjoy running, HIIT and lifting weights but with my final Accountancy exams this month I'm really lacking the motivation, I love walking recently though!
    I will no doubt do more moderate exercise after this final month or when my weight loss stalls, good to hear people have had successes with walking :)

Any exercise is better than no exercise, I will try and remember this everyday!