Whey Protein , Do I need it ?

Options
I want to lose fat and build muscles and I heard a lot about whey protein suppliments and I would like to hear from someone who has used it before , How useful it is and should I use it ?

Thank you

I am 5 11 243

Replies

• abradeen2013
    abradeen2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I drink some mixed with some lowfat milk after a weight lifting day. I feel like it helps me recover (not feel so sore the next couple of days) and keep the muscle that I am trying to build. I work out really hard with a personal trainer pushing me along the way. I am dripping in sweat the whole time and before I started using a trainer I didn't even really sweat when I lifted weights! Obviously I wasn't doing it the right way before! :) If I am just doing cardio I don't usually have any. My understanding is that whey is very easily digestible and it will help you put on muscle rater than lose it along with the fat (bad!). The more muscle you have the more you burn at rest. You just want to be burning fat not lean tissue. You should drink it within 30 minutes of finishing a workout for your body to reap the most benefits.
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I started using whey when I started stronglifts. I drink it every week day with water in the morning since it's difficult for me to hit my protein target without it. It has helped me feel less fatigued during workouts and helped with recovery, I think. I also feel like I have more energy in general, but that could be for a number of reasons.
  • popo312
    popo312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Your really not going to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, those require different kinds of calorie intake. Proper protein consumption will keep you from losing muscle as you lose fat. Whey protein is an excellent way to do that if you can't get enough through your diet.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Your really not going to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, those require different kinds of calorie intake. Proper protein consumption will keep you from losing muscle as you lose fat. Whey protein is an excellent way to do that if you can't get enough through your diet.

This.

Looked at your diary and your protein intake should be at least 0.8g to 1g per lb of lean body mass (when you're heavier). You'd be aiming for around 120-130g, I would say.

At the moment you're consistently undereating going by the two days you've logged. If you're going to keep on this road, you need to hit your goals, particularly if you're going to strength train.

Personally I would focus on fat loss right now (though there's nothing wrong with strength training while you do that) and worry about building appreciable muscle mass later.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Definitely isn't necessary. Protein from any source is good. If it's possible protein from actual food is your best bet as it comes with other nutrients.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I want to lose fat and build muscles and I heard a lot about whey protein suppliments and I would like to hear from someone who has used it before , How useful it is and should I use it ?

Thank you

I am 5 11 243

Hi, you will struggle to do both. If you're eating a calorie deficit you will lose fat (enough protein in your diet will ensure you don't lose lean mass - muscle bone, sinew organs).

You can build muscle in certain circumstance in a deficit ( e.g. newbie gain - limited difference in increased muscle), But on the whole you need to eat a surplus of calories to build muscle.

I suppose what you would need to do is decide what you are looking for as an end result. Do you want to lose body fat and increase your lean mass percentage (that is very achievable - you will be maintaining lean mass and creating a toned body composition). Or do you want to increase the size of your muscles.

Either way protein is going to be advised. There are differing opinions on the amount, but a good area to aim for is 1g of protein per lb of lean mass.

The most important piece of advice I can give is - do your own research. If you hear an opinion on the forums that looks of interest, research it yourself and draw your own conclusions.

If that advice stacks up - run with it. If it doesn't then drop it and move on to the next piece.

Good luck with whatever you chose to do.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Thank you

I am 5 11 243

Your post is a little contradicting - you can't burn fat (requires calorie deficit) and build muscle (requires excess calories) at the same time. I take whey isolate (it's lower in calories, fat and carbs, and higher in protein than standard whey) after a strength workout for recovery and to prevent muscle loss as I lose fat. As someone already mentioned, you will burn more fat at rest the more muscle you have.

I have used it for about 5 weeks (I'm F 5'3 125lbs) and found it extremely useful.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Definitely isn't necessary. Protein from any source is good. If it's possible protein from actual food is your best bet as it comes with other nutrients.

True - but not always easy to meet protein goals just through food, and also find a high protein snack to take straight after the gym. This is why I take protein - I go to work straight from the gym so protein shake is the easiest way of getting protein in
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    You absolutely can build muscle while losing fat. Many people argue this, but the science is clear.

The truth is, you can't do both at your maximum potential at the same time, but it's not an either/or situation. It's a balance. You can gain your maximum amount of muscle, while also putting on some fat, if you eat and eat and eat while working out intensely.

Alternately, you can strip yourself of all body fat, while also wasting your muscle, if you eat a starvation diet and do cardio.

It's a slider. You can find the middle ground that works for you, but it's a delicate balancing act.

Work out intensely, eat at a slight deficit, taking your workout calories into account, and get a lot of protein (0.8 - 1g per lb of body mass) and you will drop fat while gaining muscle.
  • methodman78
    methodman78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have been taking protein shakes for about 3 years and they have helped me lose weight, the last few weeks i've been getting my intake from whole foods though as that is more advisable, also i've managed to meet my goals of intake this way and only use the powders now if i'm running short of time or prepped food

A pint of full fat milk will give you plenty on its own, or many other post exercise snacks like nuts, a couple of eggs, chicken, tuna, fat free yogurt, cottage cheese and so on

My diary is open if you need inspiration and good luck :)
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You don't need it if you can meet your protein and calorie goals through regular food. As for me, I just like the way they taste and generally have one post workout.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Thank you

I am 5 11 243

First, you are not going to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Building muscle requires a calorie surplus and losing fat requires a calorie deficit.

It sounds like you are under the impression that whey protein is going to "cause" something to happen. It's not going to cause you to build muscle or lose fat. It's just a convenient form of protein. If you can get enough protein in your diet through the food you eat then you don't need it. If you find that it is hard to meet your protein goals with food alone then a protein shake may be "useful" as you put it.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can build muscle while losing fat. Many people argue this, but the science is clear.

The truth is, you can't do both at your maximum potential at the same time, but it's not an either/or situation. It's a balance. You can gain your maximum amount of muscle, while also putting on some fat, if you eat and eat and eat while working out intensely.

Alternately, you can strip yourself of all body fat, while also wasting your muscle, if you eat a starvation diet and do cardio.

It's a slider. You can find the middle ground that works for you, but it's a delicate balancing act.

Work out intensely, eat at a slight deficit, taking your workout calories into account, and get a lot of protein (0.8 - 1g per lb of body mass) and you will drop fat while gaining muscle.
    Everybody needs to read this post. I wish everyone would stop saying it's impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. While that phrase is partially correct, it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat over the course of a week/month/year because the two don't happen simultaneously. Feel free to google "body recomposition".

First of all, newbie gains do exist. In the past 4 weeks I've gained some muscle and have lost a couple lbs according to the scale and tape measure. Second, losing fat and building muscle happen at two separate times. You lose fat in a calorie surplus and when you exercise, you build muscle after you exercise. Therefore in theory you can eat in a calorie deficit most of the week, and eat a surplus for a day or two after you lift. If your deficit was greater than your surplus you'll lose weight and build muscle. Think of it as mini bulking/cutting cycles.

So it doesn't happen "at the same time" but when we set these goals they are usually for a matter of weeks, months, or years. But yeah, if you are in a constant calorie deficit you probably won't gain much muscle after a while. So it is probably easier and quicker to do one or the other, but when you set a goal it is okay to try to do both.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I think it's very useful. It's always great to get protein from food sources but it's a great add on to a breakfast smoothie or post-workout snack.

I believe it's only useful if you are doing weight lifting but that's just me. I use it after every cardio or strength workout.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

Everybody needs to read this post. I wish everyone would stop saying it's impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. While that phrase is partially correct, it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat over the course of a week/month/year because the two don't happen simultaneously. Feel free to google "body recomposition".

First of all, newbie gains do exist. In the past 4 weeks I've gained some muscle and have lost a couple lbs according to the scale and tape measure. Second, losing fat and building muscle happen at two separate times. You lose fat in a calorie surplus and when you exercise, you build muscle after you exercise. Therefore in theory you can eat in a calorie deficit most of the week, and eat a surplus for a day or two after you lift. If your deficit was greater than your surplus you'll lose weight and build muscle. Think of it as mini bulking/cutting cycles.

So it doesn't happen "at the same time" but when we set these goals they are usually for a matter of weeks, months, or years. But yeah, if you are in a constant calorie deficit you probably won't gain much muscle after a while. So it is probably easier and quicker to do one or the other, but when you set a goal it is okay to try to do both.

Agreed!

It took me about 6 months last year but I was able to put on quite a bit of muscle while losing the 20lbs of fat that I needed to lose.