Open diary with input needed

Options
I have been eating healthy and working out for the past 1.5 months now. I am allowed to eat 1200 calories a day. I know this has been asked before and I have read old discussions on the topic but I am still confused. I started out at 135 and I am down to 123lbs with eating healthy and doing Insanity. I have been hungry lately and realized that I am eating around 1200 calories but netting much, much less than that. My question for you is should my net be 1200 and that is why I am hungry? Please take a look at my diary and feel free to give me tips and suggestions. Thanks so much!

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    What is your height and age?

1200 might be too low altogether, though yes - you should be netting 1200. When you add in your exercise calories MFP will revise your calorie goal - that's your new goal to NET your original goal. Most people only eat 50% or so of their "exercise calories".
  • msstatz
    msstatz Posts: 163 Member
    Options

1200 might be too low altogether, though yes - you should be netting 1200. When you add in your exercise calories MFP will revise your calorie goal - that's your new goal to NET your original goal. Most people only eat 50% or so of their "exercise calories".

Sorry 33 years old.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at a few days, and yes, when you're burning a lot through exercise, you're coming in pretty low in net calories. Most who have their calorie goal set at 1200 eat back some or all of their exercise calories.

Your protein and fat is often pretty low too. If you add a bit of each to your breakfasts and lunches, you'll stay more satisfied.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Yes eat more, Insanity is intense. I think you should eat more even if you were doing a less intense workout. Also if you are 123 lbs I can't see you really needing to lose more. What is your height?
  • msstatz
    msstatz Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Sorry 33 years old.

and 5'7.5". Ugh. Too early to be thinking. :)
  • kikicooks
    Options
    Eat more.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You are eating quite low for your height, weight & activity level. Have you considered strength training, with free weights, to get your body where you want it to be?

Often the solution - at your weight - is not to lose more but to build mass. It can sound scary to put on weight, but women with a better lean mass to body fat ratio look fabulous.
  • kikicooks
    Options
    You are eating quite low for your height, weight & activity level. Have you considered strength training, with free weights, to get your body where you want it to be?

Often the solution - at your weight - is not to lose more but to build mass. It can sound scary to put on weight, but women with a better lean mass to body fat ratio look fabulous.

I agree with this. Your weight actually seems a little on the low side to me for your height.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    I would say you need to be eating more, of the days I looked at before there was few days blank, your food calories came in at mostly 1000 to 1100 per day...you are feeling hungry because you are not giving your body the nutrition it needs to sustain your activity levels.

Definitely eat more...
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is 1345kcals (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) - you need to eat more.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Definitely try to get more protein into your diet, especially lean proteins. I can't believe you have the energy for insanity when you eat so little during the day!

I know we automatically think fewer calories will mean more weight loss, but your body needs a certain number of calories just to do its basic functions (you'd use up a certain number of calories in a day if you did nothing but sleep). It's important to eat enough calories to fuel your workouts and help your body do the things you need to do.