What's my activity level?

Options
valmegb
valmegb Posts: 38 Member
I work as a nurse but at night so don't run about as much as a day worker, I do a lot of paperwork but also answer bells etc on th ward floor.

What would you class my activity level at? Desk job - sedentary or light active

Please help! I want to lose weight but am struggling.....

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'd go with sedentary. If that's a tad too low, at least it should help cover any calorie counting inaccuracies.
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I would go with light activity. I think sedentary would mean that you literally sit for 8-12 hours a day with no/little activity. If you exercise even 3 times a week, then I would go with light activity. That is just my opinion. I just read something here last night about that. I will see if I can find it and repost it here! :) Laura
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Pick an activity level, give it a couple weeks, then reevaluate.

Most of all, be patient! The less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off. With less than 20 lb. to lose, set your goal to .5 lb. per week.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think for me it depended on how much the numbers messed with my head!

I'm a research nurse and activity levels vary greatly. I came to MFP for maintenance having lost 2stone. I initially opted for sedentary with a .5lb wt loss (I do that M-F to allow freedom at w/e and it's worked for a year so am sticking with it!) but, having dieted on 1400cals, it did my head in to see such a small allowance.

I set mine at lightly active, no exercise and .5lbs wt loss and planned my food the night before without exception. I plan for 1500 cals then make sure I earn it by keeping track on my Fitbit, when I earn more (I do exercise) I get to eat even more than planned. Win/win!!!

I only eat what cals my Fitbit says though as MFP tends to be slightly higher and as I said before, it's worked a treat after 30yrs of feast/famine cycles.

I deliberately opted for gentle loss to make it easier to do and more of a lifestyle change than a major upheaval which I couldn't sustain. You CAN do it, be prepared to invest some time, patience and effort, do it gently and it will all come to you :o)