Best food to get at hibachi & italian places??

Options
I am going on vacation next week and I know two of the places we will be going out to dinner are Hibachi and Italian. I am trying not to break my calorie count over vacation so any suggestions on things to get at places like that?

Replies

• mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Go with meat & veggies, salad and go light on pasta and you will be fine, go with a red sauce rather than anything creamy .
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    In terms of Italian, I'd say grilled meats/poultry with fresh veg on the side. Clear broth based soups, and salads that are lighter on cheese/croutons with the dressing on the side.

I don't know much about hibachi so I can't really comment.

But also, it IS vacation. :)
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Seafood and fish are good options at either type of restaurant. Grilled sea bass on a bed of spinach... Mmmmmmmmmm
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Can you look up nutritional information on each restaurant's website? Checking out the calorie count before your visit is often the best way to plan.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    There is usually sushi at hibachi places. I would avoid anything on the hibachi itself because of the oil (so much oil!) but the lobster tails are usually a safe bet. Sashimi is a good choice, light on the rice.

Italian - I usually stick with seafood dishes. Stay away from cream sauces. Cioppino (Italian seafood soup) or Gnocchi in a red sauce are pretty safe bets. And ask to have it without cheese!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If you get the hibachi just go easy on the rice and focus on the meats and veggies.

At the Italian place just look for a dish with meat and veggies and try to avoid pasta.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Most hibachi places will prep your veggies without oil if you ask. I usually ask for no oil, go with the shrimp or chicken, and get the steamed rice. Go easy on the rice though, it's still calorie dense even if it is steamed!