need to lose 10 pounds in roughly 15 days

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am a recruit for the national guard. I was recently informed that I do not make the weight requirements necessary for the national guard. I am 7 pounds overweight. I have basically 2 weeks to fix this. I do exercise and carefully choose what I eat, but I have not lost any weight doing so over the past week. Any help is appreciated!
    I dated a Marine for a while and he used to literally not eat at all for a couple weeks before the annual PT then carb-load the day before so he could do the exercises.

There really isn't much else you can do to lose that much that quickly. Good luck!
  • holieghloren
    holieghloren Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    well I would definitely hydrate.... thennn take a laxative because your poop weights A LOT especially if your storing... You can store 11 full size meals between your colon and intestine. and do a juice only diet. I would quit weight lifting and stick to cardio. Let me know how it goes. Good luck
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I'm not suggesting this is healthy or sustainable, but you could probably lose the weight in time if you do this:

This is a form of cleanse used by certain folks. I learned about it from a friend who once did it with the Iron Shiek (formerly of the WWE), who claimed he did it twice a year...but recommended most folks not do it more than once every two years. Its actually a 4 week cleanse. In weeks 3 and 4, you add 8 ounces of chicken breast each day, but nothing else changes. I did this cleanse in April 2011. I lost 16 pounds in the first 2 weeks (I did not lose much more the final 2 weeks of the cleanse, but I did not gain the weight back after the cleanse....at least not until life got in the way in late 2012 and I lost focus and developed bad habits again...but that had nothing to do with the cleanse from a year and a half earlier).

until your weigh in, eat only veggies, use some EVOO each day on salads, and drink only water. you can eat your veggies any way you'd like, and I recommend mixing it up for variety....raw, steamed, sautéed, roasted, stir fry. Drink 4-6 liters of water a day (the more, the better). You can eat as many veggies as you want and eat as often in the day as you want. The first 2-3 days will be difficult, but then you should be good.

do some form of HIIT 3x per week (not on consecutive days). These workouts should be no longer than 20 minutes or they aren't true HIIT. Do not workout on the other days. you will not lose the weight by doing too much exercise.

Get at least 7 hours of sleep a night, preferably 8 hours.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free gummy bears.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Black coffee, Exlax and cigarettes.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    There is no HEALTHY way to do it but if you need to meet some type of weigh in and are willing to do extreme things it is for sure possible. I did the master cleanse (salt water flushes and all) and in 7 days I lost close to 12 lbs). Worst thing I ever did to my body and I am ashamed I did it. Also you will gain it back once you put one bit of solid food in you mouth but.....
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ... then night before weigh in drink a shed load of booze to dehydrate yourself.

lol That could work. If you can see your doc, they might give you a diuretic if they're sympathetic to your cause. They might be if they give you proper direction for how to use it and you promise to hydrate right after. Dunno. Worth the ask. And doesn't come with the hangover. But that's a creative solution!
    I'd also vote for a diuretic over alcohol. I bloat like crazy when hungover; no clue why. And I agree with the zero carb and some of the other suggestions for losing water weight. Also, don't lift weights the day before weigh in.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    So uhhhh, when did you sign up?

2 weeks before deciding to ship out you decide you need to workout and lose weight?

Call me crazy, but signing up to join the military is a pretty major milestone and is something one usually thinks about and prepares for ahead of time.

Also, where the hell is your recruiter? Does he care about his recruits? Its just possible that the height / weight requirement might be on a checklist somewhere and since you are this close to going to boot camp, I would have assumed by now that he has weighed you and determined if you were close to your max or not.

There is some decent advice here in this thread that will help you get by. But is that what you want your whole career to be like? Just doing the minimum to get by?

What you should be doing is calling your recruiter to tell him that you are overweight and ask him/her for advice on what to do next. After all, you are about to be part of the same organization for a few years.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I am a recruit for the national guard. I was recently informed that I do not make the weight requirements necessary for the national guard. I am 7 pounds overweight. I have basically 2 weeks to fix this. I do exercise and carefully choose what I eat, but I have not lost any weight doing so over the past week. Any help is appreciated!

GO TO A LOCAL BOXING CLUB. They'll get you there, if anyone knows how to cheat off pounds qucikly its those guys
  • rml_16
    Options

2 weeks before deciding to ship out you decide you need to workout and lose weight?
    He may have been working on it for a while and just hasn't reached his goal yet.

Or, they may have moved up his ship date. I had a friend in high school who joined the Marines and was supposed to go to basic in September, but there was an opening in June, so they asked if he could go three months early.
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm not condoning this, but it sounds like you are desperate and I want to help you if this is something you feel that you need to do.

My roommate's mother went on a juicing diet and lost 10-15 pounds in the first week. It is hard. It is not really healthy. But it got the numbers on the scale down.

www.rebootwithjoe.com
    www.juicerecipes.com
  • Tacticalmedic13
    Tacticalmedic13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Soldier, if you are over the height / weight standard you will be "tape tested" to determine your body fat %. If you are "bulky" you will be fine. If you are worried that you will fail because you are simply out of shape that you have failed as a Soldier. Remember the Soldier's creed and how it talks about maintaining your arms and YOURSELF. At any rate, if you are over weight you shouldn't be recruiting.

I wish you the best of luck finding a quick fix. If you do, understand you have a duty to find and execute a better long term solution.
  • Jilllzy
    Jilllzy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    – Slightly reduce the strength training for the next two weeks and double your cardio, especially the few days leading up to the weigh-in. But make sure you include at least two days of rest in your two weeks.

– Boost your Veg/Fruit intake to six 1-cup servings if not doing so already– Leafy greens, zucchini, tomatoes, watermelon, cantaloupe – high water-level choices are best. This will ensure everything is "moving" through your system.

– Check your diet, see how much sodium you're taking in – Diet soda is the culprit of a lot of water weight gain for me.

– A few days before the weigh-in drink about 12 to 16 8oz glasses of water or other caffeine-free/low-sodium beverage (e.g green tea) This will flush out your system and actually remove any water weight.

–Day of, enjoy some (1-2 servings) coffee or diet soda (any caffeinated beverage) 3-4 hours before weigh-in, as these act as a diuretic.

GOOD LUCK!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    you could go zero carb seven days before your weigh in and that should help you drop about 5-7 pounds (maybe??) in water weight…that is about all I got …

^this

I've dropped about eight pounds in the past two weeks just from cutting my carbs way back (because in order to make my protein and fat minimums, I had very few calories left).

And find some high school wrestlers (or similar) to give you their pointers on making weight.

ETA: I've read OP three times now, and I *still* don't see any reference to doing this "safe" or "healthy". Why are people assuming that's part of the question? He's making weight for a weigh-in to meet a commitment. There's nothing healthy about this in any way.

Agreed - if you know the risks, then there yours to take.

As well as a wrestling club a boxing club should have some ideas.

But - do know the risks (lean mass is muscle, bone, sinew, organs). Research any long term affects.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Twenty-four years ago I needed to lose 5 pounds before I joined the army and the recruiter told me to get a diuretic. It worked and I made weight.

I tried this 3-day diet many years ago (like 16 or 17) and lost 7 pounds, believe it or not. I was pretty surprised. Afterwards, I made changes to my lifestyle (plenty of water, healthy foods, and exercise) and lost a total of 35 pounds, going from 196 to 161, which I kept off for a while. Then I had my son and stopped eating right and working out and stuff....

http://blessedmommy.hubpages.com/hub/Lose-Up-To-10-Pounds-In-3-Days-On-The-3-Day-Diet

Otherwise, can't you just postpone your enlistment for a month or 6 weeks? That will give you time to lose it safely and comfortably.

Good luck!
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options

He may have been working on it for a while and just hasn't reached his goal yet.
    Really? Do you seriously, really believe this? LOL roflmao.gif
    Or, they may have moved up his ship date. I had a friend in high school who joined the Marines and was supposed to go to basic in September, but there was an opening in June, so they asked if he could go three months early.

Even if this is the case for this person. Jose probably should have said "No, Not ready yet."

planning.jpg

Hes joining the Army, not MFP. Im guessing the expectations and requirements are just slightly more demanding.

313RbkTeHLL.jpg
  • rml_16
    Options

Really? Do you seriously, really believe this? LOL roflmao.gif

Well, since I don't actually know him, I don't know. I don't know where he started or how much time he has had. Do you?
    Hes joining the Army, not MFP. Im guessing the expectations and requirements are just slightly more demanding.

Are you or have you ever been a member of the military in any capacity?
  • Steph7x
    Steph7x Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm not recommending it but you can lose about a lb a day on a juice cleanse, I lost 6lb on a 3 day one.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    pre-operative colon cleanse.

OMG

But very effective.

NOT FUN

But very effective.

Did I mention not fun?

THIS.

Pretty sure that made me lose 10 pounds overnight.
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    Well, since I don't actually know him, I don't know. I don't know where he started or how much time he has had. Do you?

It doesnt really matter where he started does it? The fact is, he somehow "magically" found himself in a situation where he's overweight and has to lose a number of lbs in a unreasonable timeframe.

Are you or have you ever been a member of the military in any capacity?
    What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Im flattered that you want to turn this around and make it about me. Maybe youve had success doing that in your 13,000 other posts but thats not going to happen.

200_s.gif