You've heard it before... please help me past this plateau!

Options
I began my weight loss journey 1 month ago, and so far I've lost almost 10 lbs which I'm pretty thrilled about, despite that most of it was more than likely just water weight. The problem is that all that loss happened within the 1st 2 weeks, and I've been at a plateau ever since. I don't feel very comfortable making my diary public, so just take my word that I am tracking everything as accurately as possible - weighing food on scales, measuring all my liquids. Everything down to the oil I use in the pan to the amount of ketchup on my burger or how much granola is going into my yogurt. I'm also doing my best to balance out carbs/fats/proteins. I'm aiming for 1200 a day as set by MFP, and I try not to eat too much over this number even after exercise as I'm aware that MFP isn't the best way to calculate calories burned.

Since I started, I've been walking more and I do 20 mins minimum on an elliptical trainer/stationary bicycle at home everyday (usually around 30 mins), with at least 1 rest day a week. Before I started I was downright lazy, didn't watch how much I ate (though I till ate healthy - I haven't had to change much of what I eat, just the quantity), so I'm finding it hard to believe that my body adjusted to my new routine after just 2 weeks. I drink as much water as I can - I tend to drink 1 pint with both lunch and dinner and random glasses throughout the day, though I tend to drink more when I'm at work than I do at home which is 3-4 days out of 7.

I'm going to try out some insanity workouts to see if I can shock my body back into fat burning mode, but other than that I am at a loss at what to do. I can't do any exercises like running due to weak joints in my legs, which is why I use the elliptical/bicycle (as they're low impact exercises) and I can't incorporate weights as I've no access to a gym. I'm grateful for any advice you have for me, and thank you in advance!

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    (1) Do you know your TDEE and BMR? Have you used a calculator like this to estimate it? http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

(2) If you make your diary public, people can offer you better advice.
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    following.. also at a plateau
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Up your calories..............
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i dont believe in the mythical plateau. i just dont.
    there is something you are missing or not counting right or not being honest with yourself. i dont know. i just dont believe in it, especially not only after 10lbs.

if none of the above give it some time for your body to adjust to your new regiment, i do believe there can be a stall for a week or two and then a big loss but thats it

maybe someone who's lost a *ton* of weight to begin with then hits a "plateau"...maybe just then maybe i might believe.

re-check your counting, measuring, weighing, etc.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at a plateau for several months.

The cure for me was increasing my calories.
  • kdeanosu
    kdeanosu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Without having more info to go on, it's going to be hard for people to give you advice BUT I don't think 2 weeks of no weight loss actually constitutes "hitting a plateau". I thought it was more like 2 months of no loss to be considered a plateau.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Only one month and you've lost 10lbs....You are not at a plateau!! Plateau is 6+ weeks with NO change. Your body is adjusting.

You need to calculate your TDEE and your BMR. Make sure you are fueling your body properly.

Additionally start taking measurements. Your weight may go up and down, but your measurments will be a far better indicator of success!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,938 Member
    Options
    Normally the solution is to eat less.
  • Lianakin
    Lianakin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    According to the site you linked, my TDEE is about 2150. I'll be honest, I don't really know what to do with that number!

I won't make it public just yet, but if I'm still having trouble after another few weeks I'll consider it :)
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    The best way I have found to break a plateau is to go up on your calories. You say your eating, 1200 a day now, go up to 1600 for 2 days and back to 1200k. Then back to 1600 and then back to 1200. This tricks your body and the weight will start moving, I have a feeling though, you aren't eating enough to start with, If you eat 1200k and then burn 500k in exercise your only netting 700k calories a day. That is NOT enough food for a person to live on, much less lose any weight.
    That's what I have found to be true. so give it a shot!!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    First, you're not at a plateau. Second, 10 lbs in a month in weight loss is too fast, healthy weight loss is 1-2 lbs a week, and just by looking at your ticker you should be aiming for 1 lb a week until you get down to 10 lbs to lose then 0.5 lbs a week.Third, you are probably eating more than you think. You need a food scale and weigh all solid foods and measure all liquids.

Finally, you need to fuel you body correctly like Calypso said. I recommend netting you BMR everyday at a minimum.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    you're not at a plateau.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Only one month and you've lost 10lbs....You are not at a plateau!! Plateau is 6+ weeks with NO change. Your body is adjusting.

You need to calculate your TDEE and your BMR. Make sure you are fueling your body properly.

Additionally start taking measurements. Your weight may go up and down, but your measurments will be a far better indicator of success!
    Yep. And to definitely be at a plateau, those 6 weeks would have to be CONSISTENT the whole time. Any break in it wouldn't deem it as a plateau and put it back to STALL statis.

I wouldn't even say you're at a stall yet. Body is adjusting. Whenever one goes on a calorie deficit, the body reacts by automatically lowering it's metabolism. So continue with exercise so it can adapt to regular calorie burn.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Tpope66
    Tpope66 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    By reading your statement above, I think you should start looking at the quality of the food you are eating and maybe add a few more calories to your eating plan. By adding cals I want you to add mostly veggies and fruit. Limit the meat intake and purchase the more lean meats. I do grass feed and free range chicken and deer. Depending on the time of the month your body could be retaining water so that is when you should drink at least your body weight in water ounces. And if you have weak joints maybe you should start out doing Eccentric workouts. Like assisted lunges using a counter top and a chair. Push-ups going down slow and popping back up.

Actually just go to Smarter Science of Slim web page and it will show you all the eccentric works outs. I hope this helps.
  • Lianakin
    Options

I took measurements when I started. Lost a couple of inches around my abdomen but again, nothing at all in the past 2 weeks!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Could your cycle be coming soon? That's usually when I have no losses measurement-wise..
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not a plateau.
  • Lianakin
    Options
    Without having more info to go on, it's going to be hard for people to give you advice BUT I don't think 2 weeks of no weight loss actually constitutes "hitting a plateau". I thought it was more like 2 months of no loss to be considered a plateau.

I don't really know what else to call it. It's just very frustrating that after only 2 weeks what I've been doing has suddenly stopped working :/
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    there are lots of things to try, but each thing requires that you give it time because there will be an adjustment period.

1. its very possible that your body is just adjusting to the initial weight loss, catching up so to speak. If you've only stayed at the same weight for a few weeks, its not a true plateau. and, if the scale has moved AT ALL, up or down, its not a plateau. remember that this is supposed to be lifestyle change. As long as you are making healthy choices, you will eventually achieve your goal. Doing it the healthy way takes time and patience. The scale does not always move, but you have to believe you are making progress if you are making healthy choices.

if, however, you are convinced that #1 doesn't apply, you could try one or more of these options:

2. I do not recommend Insanity if you have extra weight on your frame. I did Insanity last summer and lost weight. But along the way, I ignored increasing knee soreness/pain and eventually had to stop working out after Insanity because of the severe knee tendonitis (I'm hoping there's not a longer term issue). Anyway, I had to stop working out, I got super discouraged, I developed bad eating habits again, and gained back the weight I lost from Insanity. There are better ways to jump start your body without putting that much stress on your knees. Try a 12 minute tabata or HIIT routine 2-3x per week (there are loads of them on youtube, or you could go to bodyrock.tv or get Craig Ballantyne's Home Workout Revolution). Or do a nice cardio routine like Focus T25 that is intense, but without the joint impact of Insanity.

3. For some folks, reducing/eliminating processed foods and sugars helps. There is a large benefit to your body if you eat mostly lean proteins, healthy fats and low glycemic indexed carbs (basically, most veggies, apples, berries, whole grains, sweet potatoes).

4. I'm not going to go into the science behind it here, and I strongly recommend reading Eat Stop Eat before doing this, but a weekly 24 hour fast can do wonders. Fasting for 24 hours requires a lot of water and a mindset of knowing that you can do it. If you can't convince yourself that you can go 24 hours without food, and fret about it during those 24 hours, its not going to be worth it and you probably won't be able to do it. Again, read the book first or at least read my blog about my experience with intermittent fasting (where I recommend that you read the book as well).
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE is around 2150 and you subtract 20% for weight loss that's 1720 calories. You could easily increase your calories to that and should still lose weight, and that doesn't include any activity factor.