Pissed at the scale

Options
Hi everyone - this is my first post. I've been using MFP for 10 days and love it. I started using it bc I realized that I was under eating & started researching this whole concept of under eating and not losing weight which certainly seems to be the case for me. Since I started calorie counting on MFP I have DEFINITELY lost inches. I had decided to stay away from the scale for a while but when I weighed myself this morning, it said I had gained 0.1kg. I am INCREDIBLY frustrated. I understand the whole concept of muscle weighing more than fat and since I am doing T25 I am sure I have gained some (I had previously been doing 30day shred) but the visible difference in my body and what now fits makes me a bit confused as to how the scale hasn't changed AT ALL. If I compare to what I used to weigh before babies, the scale doesn't make sense.

I am 5 months post partum from having twins. I am 5,7" - My pre-twins weight was 140lbs (size 6), my pre-first baby weight was around 132 (size 4). The scale says I am 153lbs (69.5kg) right now . I measured my hips and just on that measurement looks like 0.5-0.75 of an inch.

Just wondered what everyone thought? I weighed myself so that MPF reading was up to date but now I'm pissed!
I made my diary public so you can view what I'm doing.

Replies

• karmasays
    karmasays Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    You said you've lost inches. this is a huge indication that you're on the right path. Put the scale away and focus on your measurments. Your muscles are probably retaining some water.

Be more patient. The scale will eventually catch up.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    You are "pissed" about 4 oz? Seriously, that is one trip to the bathroom. You don't have a lot of weight to lose, so it will be slow going…….you are already at a "healthy" weight. You didn't gain the weight overnight, and if you are losing inches, be pleased with yourself.
    Kaye
  • 55Megamus
    Options
    I think you need to look at what that number on the scale means......it is a useless number, it doesn't say anything about your health, it says nothing about you as a person, it is probably the most unpredictable and useless measures of success. Forget about how much you weigh.

you lost inches!!!! your doing awesome, how do you feel? how are your energy levels, when you work out are you performing better, faster? can you jump higher, how is your eating going? how do certain foods make you feel? how are you sleeping.........all these things are far far far more important that weight or BMI.

keep fighting the good fight, and try to celebrate the things that matter!
  • boogaloo38
    boogaloo38 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone. I get the message loud and clear. I vow to avoid the scale from now on! I do feel good & healthy & balanced & loving my workouts which are so doable with newborn twins & a 3year old.

Thanks for the support xox
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    IMHO throw your scale away and go buy a cheap set of accumeasure calipers to track body fat.
  • cpusmc
    cpusmc Posts: 122
    Options
    Hi everyone - this is my first post. I've been using MFP for 10 days and love it. I started using it bc I realized that I was under eating & started researching this whole concept of under eating and not losing weight which certainly seems to be the case for me. Since I started calorie counting on MFP I have DEFINITELY lost inches. I had decided to stay away from the scale for a while but when I weighed myself this morning, it said I had gained 0.1kg. I am INCREDIBLY frustrated. I understand the whole concept of muscle weighing more than fat and since I am doing T25 I am sure I have gained some (I had previously been doing 30day shred) but the visible difference in my body and what now fits makes me a bit confused as to how the scale hasn't changed AT ALL. If I compare to what I used to weigh before babies, the scale doesn't make sense.

I am 5 months post partum from having twins. I am 5,7" - My pre-twins weight was 140lbs (size 6), my pre-first baby weight was around 132 (size 4). The scale says I am 153lbs (69.5kg) right now . I measured my hips and just on that measurement looks like 0.5-0.75 of an inch.

Just wondered what everyone thought? I weighed myself so that MPF reading was up to date but now I'm pissed!
    I made my diary public so you can view what I'm doing.

Quick note - 1 lb of fat or muscle weighs 1 lb., no difference. the difference is in the density of 1 lb of fat vs the density of 1 lb of muscle. think of a piece of steak with some fat on the outside, if you cut off the same size piece of fat and "steak" the steak would weigh more as it is more dense. same concept in your body.... you are doing fine, dont sweat the small stuff and stay consistent.... good luck with your twins...