The push that came to shove

Options
So, it's my first day on the site and tracking, and I am on fire to get healthy--thanks to a pair of jeans I ordered online that gave me a huge moment of truth: I was now officially a size 18, which blew my mind. Even though I've been size 16-ish for several years and it didn't seem to bother me, something magical happened: I saw myself in the mirror as I am--an overweight gal in need of a lifestyle adjustment, and not as the thinner person I used to be--so I decided to get to work.

I'm curious: What was the last straw, so to speak, that brought all of you here, finally ready to "get 'er done"?

For me, it took about 60 pounds of weight gain and five years of denial before yesterday's eye-opening, have-to-lay-down-on-the-mattress-to-zip-the-suckers-and-even-though-they're-on, there's-no-denying-that-the-fat-gushes-out-the-sides. Forget "muffin tops"--they're more bundt cakes on steroids! But, hey, better late than never!

What brought y'all here?

Replies

• vitaenamor
    Options
    Welcome to the community!

I'm pretty much in the same ballpark in sizes and I think the last straw for me were pictures. I feel like I can't stand to look at myself in pictures anymore because I'm bulging everywhere and I've just been in denial for so long, telling myself that I'm fine and that I don't need to loose weight, but you know what I really do!

So the other day I came across someone on this website and I thought it was amazing and how many tools and support is available on here, so I decided that it was time for a change.

I just started as well, so let's stay strong :)
  • Welcome: I can relate.. It was two things that brought me running here. 1 was finding a dress for my daughters wedding that was in August and having to get a size 18 because the 16 that I normely wore would not zip up in the back, and 2 seeing myself in my Daughters wedding pictures I wanted to cry. So here I am I started in mid august I dont want to take any more family pictures of me looking like that ever again...
  • shawna09152002
    Options
    I was on the OBGYN chair and he told me that I was very overweight and that I would NEVER have a child with the weight that I am at now and he advised the lap band. I have been heavy all my life and size 16 was the size I grew up in until 2 years ago when I ballooned to size 22-24. I thought it was fibriods since I have them and had surgery but then I realized it was just me being FAT!! I was in denial for a long time and told myself that I can "do this on my own" but never applied myself. A co-worker had lost 50 pounds by this website and applying herself so I though I would try it and this site works for me. I feel so much better looking in the mirror and seeing the inches come off and like the way my clothes feel so I know that contiuning do to this I will be one hot Mama someday then I can go to my doctor and say " See I don't need no lap band I did it on my own in your face!" :)
  • dpulum
    dpulum Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was sick most of last year. Last November I had brain & spinal cord surgeries and spent the next 3 months healing from that. I was already 20 pounds overweight before that, but then packed on 25 more from all of the meds, not being able to do much and being sad. After several surgeries, I'm healthier this year, but it took me most of the year to get motivated to get the weight off, I felt so sluggish this heavy. So I am on it now. I'm dealing with the eating part of it first and then I have to figure out what exercising I can do that won't make me symptomatic. I didn't survive all of that to die from being overweight & I want my body back.

Tina