How does SW work?

Options
not a loaded question. Genuinely curious. If I eat less calories than I burn, I lose weight. On SW though, I can eat as much fruit and veg, lean meat and non fat dairy, pasta, potatoes, etc as I want- that would add up to far more than 1200 cals- as it is moderate amounts of all are easily adding up to my 1200 cals a day. On SW, I would easily be able to eat 2000++ cals...so how would I possibly lose?
So how do it work???

Replies

• failteromhat
    failteromhat Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Anyone ? :huh: :sad:
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I don't know what SW is, but if you eat as much as you want and it adds up to more than you burn, you're not losing weight. Simple as that.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I don't know what SW is either.
  • pmuscarello
    Options
    It wont. If you eat 3 lbs of turkey in a day, you are going to gain weight no matter what. Take those foods, portion them out (4oz for meats, small amounts of fruit, and as many non starchy vegitables as you can manage), and you'll do fine.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I don't know what SW is, but if you eat as much as you want and it adds up to more than you burn, you're not losing weight. Simple as that.

This.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess SW is Slimming World....

Either way, if you eat more than you burn you won't lose weight, no matter where the calories come from.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In to find out what SW is.
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I was thinking OP was meaning WW~Weight Watchers...but not sure yet.
  • Babarrosa1
    Babarrosa1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    SW??
  • rml_16
    Options
    I was thinking OP was meaning WW~Weight Watchers...but not sure yet.
    If so, unless the program has seriously and drastically changed (I know they tweak it, but this would be a MAJOR change), you can't eat "all the pasta and potatoes you want" on the program.

Fruits and vegetables and on the old CORE plan, you could have fat free dairy to your heart's content. But not potatoes or pasta.

They build a certain number of calories per day into the plan for the "free" foods, but I don't agree with the "free" fruits. Those calories add up way quicker than the non-starchy vegetables.
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Google just told be that "SW diet" = Slimming World.

Never heard of it. No interest in reading about it. But at least I now know what the heck "SW" stands for.
  • rml_16
    Options

Never heard of it. No interest in reading about it. But at least I now know what the heck "SW" stands for.
    Thank you! lol

I have heard the term but not the details.
  • Empty_Calories
    Empty_Calories Posts: 81 Member
    Options

Thank you! lol

I have heard the term but not the details.

:drinker:
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options

This.
  • newstart66
    newstart66 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    SW or slimming world is just healthy eating. If you read the booklet the calorie dense food stuffs are limited. The ones which aren't are generally those which are naturally lower in calories. So, for example, eating a piece of most fruit OK but if you cook it/ juiceit you have to count it as syns. ( because it is easier to eat /drink more therefore consuming more calories) Healthy A and B choices provide the dairy and fibre options.

SW is about portion control too - 1/3rd to 1/2 of each meal is meant to be "superfree" foods - essentially veg. You are right that if you follow it you tend not to weigh or measure anything on the "free" list for the plan that you are following and it does work. I lost over 4 stone before and am now broadly following it here AND counting cals too... I finish my first week doing this tomorrow so I'll let you know but I have varied from just under 1000 cals to 1300 cals per day.
  • failteromhat
    failteromhat Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks. Many thanks Newstart. Yes its Slimming World. Their extra easy plan indicates you can eat as much "free" food as you like. Free food is all lean meat, potatoes, fish, eggs, fat free dairy, pasta, rice, grains (eg cous cous, quinuoa) as long as 1/3 of your plate is "Superfree" i.e. all fruit and most veg (some veg like corn and peas are free not superfree)
    Also you can have 1 portion of regular dairy and 1 portion carb a day and up to 300cals in "syns" -usually sweets or treats but also nuts, oils etc.

So literally you could eat a plateful of pasta and lean meat as long as you have a serving of veg in plate.

I understand that it does work but i fail to see how as you could easily eat 500 to 600 cals in free food alone per sitting plus your fruit and veg plus snacks plus dairy etc etc.

I am curious how it works or are they presupposing a crap diet so eating fruit will automatixally help or that you are meant to eat so much fruit that you are full. You cld easily overeat is all i am saying. I actually like Slimming world, I just want to be 100% sure it works.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    the only "free food"I might not count is leafy greens,,other then that it gets counted..I dont understand how potatoes,pasta and such are considered free,,I can eat a whole lot of both in one sitting! disclaimer,I didnt look at the program and wont,,just think a person needs to count those calories if you want to lose weight.Another thing to think about is if things are not working the way you are trying,I mean a good honest try,not 2 days worth,,then maybe its time to look at different alternatives.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is math plain and simple...if you eat more calories (energy) than your body needs to maintain itself, you will get fat...eat less and your body has to make up the difference from energy stores (fat)...eat at a balance of energy and you maintain. It's very simple.

Have you read you plan all the way through? Something tells me you are missing some finer points somewhere...either that or it's for total **** (I've never heard of it). At any rate, rice and potatoes and the like are good healthy foods...but they're also calorie dense...you can't just have a free for all.

If it works it means a calorie deficit has been created. Also, 1200 calories is the most aggressive possible weight loss goal...you can likely eat far more than that and still lose weight. You got that number because likely you told MFP you wanted 2Lbs per week which is a 1000 per day calorie deficit.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    This doesn't sound right. I can't imagine any plan that considers pasta as a free food. I've done Weight Watchers in the past, though not the Core program so I could be wrong, but I don't remember pasta and potatoes being free on any of their plans. Lean meats? Probably, since they are very filling, but? It seems odd to me. Then again, free fruit was enough for me to quit WW, so......