How many calories do you burn while standing?

Options
How many calories do you burn while standing as oppose to sitting?

I stand for about 7.5 hours when i work 3-4 days a week ....ONLY standing....no walking or anything.

just wondering how many more calories i am burning while standing as oppose to if i was just sitting at home.

Replies

• jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Well, I found Hacky Sack in the database, and I would burn exactly 37 calories playing it for 8 hours straight
  • kuroboxx
    Options
    37 total for 8 hours? lol
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Dead serious, and that's assuming little kicks and stuff
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    37 total for 8 hours? lol

37 more on top of your regular daily calorie burn, so pretty much not much more than sitting. You really don't burn a lot since you aren't particularly working any muscles besides some stabilization.
  • keithemp
    Options
    Yeah, very few calories burned from standing. Standing still is your body weight resting on your skeletal frame, you're not working muscles. Muscles only come into play to maintain balance, but very little.

I wouldn't even bother tracking standing as exercise.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Is this a general, out of curiousity question? or were you seriously considering logging standing as exercise?!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I think I remember looking this up on different calculators at one point, and it was something like 5 calories more an hour. So, for 8 hours, you burn 40 calories. I do not suggest logging every little thing you do as all of these calorie calculators are estimates based on population averages. If you log things like "washing dishes" or "walking to the car", you will have more of a chance of over eating.

Instead, if you feel you are lightly active, bump up your activity level. Or, you can look into getting something like a fitbit or body media.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You don't count standing
  • Chillyfrog
    Chillyfrog Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Well, I found Hacky Sack in the database, and I would burn exactly 37 calories playing it for 8 hours straight

Whaaaat? :huh: If anyone has ever tried to play hacky sack they'll know this is wrong. My daughter is a soccer player, and hacky sack can be a workout. I just looked it up and it said you burn 337 calories per hour.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't log it but i think its probably more because if your like me you cant stand still i constantly have to shift my weight i used to be a cashier so i wasn't just standing either tho and i can tell you my shoulder would kill by the end of a long week i didnt really log it i just bumped it up to lightly active but occasionally after a rare eight hour shift i would (we weren't usually aloud full time)
  • nikkincs
    nikkincs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    From what I understand the calorie burn isn't much greater but the overall benefits to your body, health, and longevity are what's important. I've read that sitting for most of your day is pretty awful. Even if you ran for a few miles in the morning but then sat at work all day you were just as prone to early death (from heart disease, cancer, etc) as people who just sit all day. Basically I'm saying don't worry about the calorie burn from standing all day but just be grateful that you are standing all day because it keeps your body active all day long. Your getting proper blood flow, balance/stability, and posture/joint support