Strength Training & Cardio

Options
Hi Everyone!

I'm brand new here and really excited to start my weight loss adventure with you all.
I know how to eat right (altho I don't typically practice it - which is part of why I'm here), but I'm pretty much brand new to exercising.
In the past the only thing I have done is run. While it does help a lot - I always here a lot about strength training, or legs and arms days, etc.
What do I need to know so that I am getting the best workout possible? How do I create a fitness plan that will not only help me lose weight, but gain strength and definition in my body?
Also, if I am doing strength training, do I need to look into pre and post workout drinks or meals?

I appreciate any advice I can get!

Thanks all!! :)

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I would personally recommend a full body program as you are a noob...you will get the most benefit from a full body routine vs a split routine (i.e. legs day, chest day, etc) as a noob. With a typical split, you're going to be doing a lot of isolation work on top of your foundational compound work and that is, for the most part, just unnecessary for a noob and can often interfere with recovery in a new lifter.

Look into programs like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, or Strong Lifts 5x5. SS and SL5x5 are traditional "strength" programs as they work in a lower rep range for optimal strength. I'm partial to strength training for noobs as you build a really good foundation...from that foundation you can branch off in any direction you choose down the road...but I'm a big believer in having a very solid foundation of strength. New Rules is an awesome read, particularly for women who are completely new to the weight room...I recommend the read even if you determine not to do the program. My wife does the program and really likes it...I liken it more to a general fitness lifting routine than to a true strength routine...but it's pretty solid.

I personally recommend a balanced approached for general fitness...strength train full body 3x weekly and do 30-60 minutes of cardio 3x weekly. To optimize both, I recommend doing cardio and weight training on different days and/or having plenty of time between routines to recover. Eat right, train right, and realize fitness and strength gains.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    There are two basic types of workout you can do: splits, or full body. If you do a split program, then you will break up the exercises so you do different muscle groups on different days (and allow them to rest while you work different ones). In a full body program, you work all the muscles every workout with compound lifts. Take a day between workouts to recover.

Full body programs are probably the best bang for you buck, as they only need 3 days a week (typically something like Mon, Wed, Fri), you get a complete workout every time with usually 3 different exercise per day, and you can get great results. Look into Stronglifts, Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Splits can work too, but I would suggest you find a good program over at bodybuilding.com (click on Find A Plan). If you try and just wing it, you'll likely not be hitting the different muscles effectively.

As for pre-workout meals etc, that is really just a matter of personal preference. Meal timing is far less important that getting enough protein.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    What I have been doing (and I consider myself a fitness newbie too) is 3 days/week of the Couch 2 5k program (I'm prepping for a 5k this spring, but you could choose cardio of your choice), then the 3 other days/week of Jillian Michaels DVDs for strength. I am loving it so far. I know it's not heavy lifting or anything like that, but it's still strength work and I am noticing huge improvements in my overall fitness. I would highly recommend it for a beginner :)
  • justnname
    Options
    I would personally recommend a full body program as you are a noob...you will get the most benefit from a full body routine vs a split routine (i.e. legs day, chest day, etc) as a noob. With a typical split, you're going to be doing a lot of isolation work on top of your foundational compound work and that is, for the most part, just unnecessary for a noob and can often interfere with recovery in a new lifter.

Look into programs like New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, or Strong Lifts 5x5. SS and SL5x5 are traditional "strength" programs as they work in a lower rep range for optimal strength. I'm partial to strength training for noobs as you build a really good foundation...from that foundation you can branch off in any direction you choose down the road...but I'm a big believer in having a very solid foundation of strength. New Rules is an awesome read, particularly for women who are completely new to the weight room...I recommend the read even if you determine not to do the program. My wife does the program and really likes it...I liken it more to a general fitness lifting routine than to a true strength routine...but it's pretty solid.

I personally recommend a balanced approached for general fitness...strength train full body 3x weekly and do 30-60 minutes of cardio 3x weekly. To optimize both, I recommend doing cardio and weight training on different days and/or having plenty of time between routines to recover. Eat right, train right, and realize fitness and strength gains.

^^^^^
    This is great advise.
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

Splits can work too, but I would suggest you find a good program over at bodybuilding.com (click on Find A Plan). If you try and just wing it, you'll likely not be hitting the different muscles effectively.

I would not recommend looking for a plan on Bodybuilding.com as they are generally to specialized or ridiculous for beginning lifters (or those not supplementing with dat dere creatine).
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You've received some excellent advice. Stonglifts 5x5 or NROL are both great programs. And they start at the level you're at. As to extra cardio, do it if you like to work out. I love playing tennis and started running last year, so I have these during the week or on the weekends, but remember to listen to your body, and do things you like to do. So if you are a hula hoop person, or a soccer person or whatever, do those things. Because you're going to be motivated to stay with it. Best wishes