Replies

• 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Fasting should do it!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well, since I don't actually know him, I don't know. I don't know where he started or how much time he has had. Do you?

It doesnt really matter where he started does it? The fact is, he somehow "magically" found himself in a situation where he's overweight and has to lose a number of lbs in a unreasonable timeframe.

Are you or have you ever been a member of the military in any capacity?
    What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Im flattered that you want to turn this around and make it about me. Maybe youve had success doing that in your 13,000 other posts but thats not going to happen.
    I'm not turning it around on you. You seem to find it quite ridiculous that he's in the situation he's in. You seem to think you're some kind of expert and that my suggestions are ridiculous. However, I was serously involved with a Marine for many years and he was a recruiter for the first three years I knew him, my fiance is in the Navy and was actually the fitness guru for his unit for a couple years and I have many friends who joined the military out of high school and I actually know what goes on through the recruiting process.

So I'm wondering, since you seem to know far more than I do about these things, what your credentials are for making fun of the OP while offering no useful advice?
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Use "The Cleaner" from Century systems - it's a 7 day detox / cleanse (not a fast, you can still eat) or try a glycemic index diet ... Google "military diet"

Both of these can offer a quick short-term fix. You aren't going to lose that amount in 2 weeks doing it the RIGHT way.
  • LynneW1983
    LynneW1983 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    Cabbage soup diet I lost 11 lb in a week. Was not starved you can actually eat a lot.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    you could go zero carb seven days before your weigh in and that should help you drop about 5-7 pounds (maybe??) in water weight…that is about all I got …

This. Eliminate virtually all carbs between then and now and you'll drop it. You'll gain it back instantly once you eat carbs again, though.

OP doesn't need to drop the weight. They just need to make tape (BF%). I was something like 15lbs "overweight" when I left. I made my weight requirement approx. 0 times in my 8 year career.

You and me both brother.

OP, you just need a temporarily smaller waist and a bigger neck.

Rigger
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    u *could* try. the way you could try and the fastest ive ever seen is something like atkins. do literally zero carbs. not low carb, zero carbs and you could probably do it.

its not healthy and you WILL gain it back but if you need to drop it fast for that one time i guess u could?
    once you are in, i suggest trying a healthier approach to weightloss.
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Since this is just for a weigh in and not for "real" weight loss, personally I would eliminate ALL carbs, I mean every single one. Not one single gram.

I would then start on diuretics about a week out from weigh in (but make sure you drink a TON of water with that!). For the day of weigh in would do a water enema to cleanse the colon.

I would be you drop the weight, of course you will put it right back on instantly, but at least you will weigh in.

That is so BAD for you! You need at least 50-60 grams a day for basic nervous system and brain function. Not to mention, you can't exercise without any carbs because you'll have no energy.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    My HS boyfriend used to do an hour on the Versaclimber in several layers of sweats and his varsity jacket, along with eating only protein and drinking only black coffee and little bits of water for a few days prior to county and state wrestling meets so he could make weight.

Godspeed.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Since this is just for a weigh in and not for "real" weight loss, personally I would eliminate ALL carbs, I mean every single one. Not one single gram.

I would then start on diuretics about a week out from weigh in (but make sure you drink a TON of water with that!). For the day of weigh in would do a water enema to cleanse the colon.

I would be you drop the weight, of course you will put it right back on instantly, but at least you will weigh in.

That is so BAD for you! You need at least 50-60 grams a day for basic nervous system and brain function. Not to mention, you can't exercise without any carbs because you'll have no energy.
    It's a short-term thing. His body has reserves and will draw from them.

It's not the healthiest thing but to do it for a few days isn't going to cause any damage.
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I knew months in advance when I would be heading out. How could you not know about this earlier? If nothing else, delay your enlistment and think this through as it is apparently not important enough to you to spend any time thinking about and getting ready for.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Well, since I don't actually know him, I don't know. I don't know where he started or how much time he has had. Do you?

It doesnt really matter where he started does it? The fact is, he somehow "magically" found himself in a situation where he's overweight and has to lose a number of lbs in a unreasonable timeframe.

What does this have to do with the price of tea in China? Im flattered that you want to turn this around and make it about me. Maybe youve had success doing that in your 13,000 other posts but thats not going to happen.
    I'm not turning it around on you. You seem to find it quite ridiculous that he's in the situation he's in. You seem to think you're some kind of expert and that my suggestions are ridiculous. However, I was serously involved with a Marine for many years and he was a recruiter for the first three years I knew him, my fiance is in the Navy and was actually the fitness guru for his unit for a couple years and I have many friends who joined the military out of high school and I actually know what goes on through the recruiting process.

So I'm wondering, since you seem to know far more than I do about these things, what your credentials are for making fun of the OP while offering no useful advice?

1) Ridiculous? No. Demonstration of poor judgement and Irresponsibility. Yes.

2) Making fun? OMG I would ask you if you were serious, but I know you are. If I was making fun, you'd definitely know it. Well, not you, but a reasonable person who is open minded to some stiff criticism and isnt looking to initiate unnecessary conflict would.

As for your suggestions I didnt even read, nor care what you said. You are the one who initially commented on my response. And I, like the dumbass I am, continued to respond. Now we all know why the Marine is no longer in your life. Kudos to him.

This is where our interaction ends.

You are ... interesting.
  • Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am a recruit for the national guard. I was recently informed that I do not make the weight requirements necessary for the national guard. I am 7 pounds overweight. I have basically 2 weeks to fix this. I do exercise and carefully choose what I eat, but I have not lost any weight doing so over the past week. Any help is appreciated!

Been there done that. Currently in the AZ NG. Are you attempting to enlist or are you at risk of a counseling/article 15?

If you are attempting to enlist, tell your recruiter to suck it. Seriously, they can wait on you. They WILL take you when you are ready.

Also, as previously stated, just worry about passing tape. I was approximately 10 lbs over my limit when I enlisted, but I met tape. (They tape you at MEPS before signing your contact).

Lastly, if you REALLY need to drop the weight (maybe to pass tape lets say). As stated before as well, cut out carbs, cut out sodium, and limit yourself to about 20 oz of water a day or two before the weigh-in/tape. This will make you ONLY drop water weight, but it can be as much as 10-15 lbs.

Disclaimer: The last suggestion is really stupid, unhealthy, and you WILL feel like a complete bag of smashed *kitten*. BUT it will work. I know, i've been there, i've done that.

If you have any questions about BT/AIT, the enlistment process, or the weight issue feel free to send me a message. Good luck man, thanks for the service.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am a recruit for the national guard. I was recently informed that I do not make the weight requirements necessary for the national guard. I am 7 pounds overweight. I have basically 2 weeks to fix this. I do exercise and carefully choose what I eat, but I have not lost any weight doing so over the past week. Any help is appreciated!

Soldier, if you are over the height / weight standard you will be "tape tested" to determine your body fat %. If you are "bulky" you will be fine. If you are worried that you will fail because you are simply out of shape that you have failed as a Soldier. Remember the Soldier's creed and how it talks about maintaining your arms and YOURSELF. At any rate, if you are over weight you shouldn't be recruiting.

I wish you the best of luck finding a quick fix. If you do, understand you have a duty to find and execute a better long term solution.

Soldier, he isnt a soldier yet, if you have passed any reading comprehension tests in your time in the military ,THEY have failed at training you properly. ;-P J/K with ya!
  • vvendy_darling
    Options

I'm not a Marine, but I play one on MFP, so I think I know just about as much as you do on the recruiting process. Me thinks he had more than enough time to lose the weight properly and now he's scrambling...way to be all that you can be man!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Methamphetamine will have that 10 pounds gone fast, but they might want to examine your urine too. :ohwell:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

You are ... interesting.

Interesting is not the word I would choose, but... :laugh:
  • rml_16
    Options

You are ... interesting.

Interesting is not the word I would choose, but... :laugh:
    He isn't worth a strike.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Then put on your big boy pants, get serious about your new career choice, get on a reasonable eating plan and exercise.

Hit the nail on the head
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    do exercise and carefully choose what I eat, but I have not lost any weight doing so over the past week. Any help is appreciated!
    [/quote]
    I wish you the best of luck finding a quick fix. If you do, understand you have a duty to find and execute a better long term solution.
    [/quote]

Exactly